Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And I'm in my 40's, and have never heard of putting cheese on my fries, or eating them with a side of Ranch.
Oh, I'd rather dip fries into ranch than use ketchup.

Maybe it is a West Coast thing (I am in California)? I am in my 40's as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,712 times
YUCK! Dog food~~~!!!!!!!!i turned green~~!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Right off the bat Dried Mango comes to mind, it was horrible.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
I used to hate brussel sprouts too, until I learned to really nuke 'em good, then cut in half, and you must use butter and a LOT of salt.

Agree on caviar, it's absolutely disgusting.

And the green innards of lobsters.

And I cannot understand how people can actually eat [slurp?] CLAMS?!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
I used to hate brussel sprouts too, until I learned to really nuke 'em good, then cut in half, and you must use butter and a LOT of salt.

Agree on caviar, it's absolutely disgusting.

And the green innards of lobsters.

And I cannot understand how people can actually eat [slurp?] CLAMS?!
Clams don't have much taste, jmo. I really like oysters, though and clams have a somewhat similar taste. Escargot is also good--though I may just love garlic and butter?

Caviar is good. Always loved brussel sprouts ==who knows why?

I am certainly no Anthony Bourdain but don't seem to dislike most 'typical' foods. I close my eyes when Bourdain crunches away on more exotic fare.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:11 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Mostly I hate bad versions of dishes or ingredients, rather than the dish or ingredient as a whole. But here's some stuff I generall don't like:
Most canned stuff, esp veggies and syrupy fruits
especially packaged cream stuff (cream of mushroom soup, bottled alfredo sauce)
Pretzels, popcorn, and other dry "snacks"
PB and J sandwiches
Ketchup
most candy (good chocolate doesn't count)--esp licorice
bitter melon
some stinky tofus (although a little bit of some can be good)
sweet tea and a bunch of other stuff in the southeast US thats oversweetened
sweet, syrupy cocktails

I loooove brussel sprouts
fresh wild mushrooms can be really good, but that's a rare ingredient so I don't really like them for the most part
I actually kinda like liver, but I have a condition where I can't eat it, so that's out
I also like anchovies. Yum!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Default What's the worst foods you can eat?

I only ask because I'm considering seeing if I eat them and if so either cutting back or just weaning myself off of them all together.

This morning I had a co worker who was munching on a Slim Jim. I know they're not really healthy for you and I causally mentioned how i like them just how they're full of fat and processed meat. His response was "yeah....but at least it's healthier than sugar".

I know sugar isn't really good for you either. I think i once heard someone tell me doughnuts were the #1 worst thing you could possibly eat.

So lets hear it......what are the worst foods to put into your body?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Refined sugar is bad. Natural sugars such as the ones found in fruit are good for you. The body needs some sugar, so eliminating it entirely is not necessary. Avoid the high fructose corn syrup which is in many foods and drinks. Soda like Coke and Pepsi are awful, and those foo-foo coffee drinks are also loaded with calories and fat.

Any of the processed meats that have nitrites in them, like sausage, hot dogs, bacon, and yes slim jims are all bad for you.

Even when you think you are eating healthy you may be mislead because lot's of products and restaurants add a lot of sugar, MSG, and salt to foods. Some salad dressings are high in calories, so read labels. You can be eating a healthy vegetable salad but if you're drenching it in heavy dressing your defeating the health benefits.

It's alright to indulge once in awhile. An occasional hot dog at a ball game or chocolate shake on a breezy summer night won't kill you. Just don't make it a part of your daily diet.

Basic rule of thumb, if it wasn't food 100 years ago, it's not food today.

I find that traditional Japanese and Mediterranean diets are some of the healthiest around.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I once heard that Irish Coffee contains all four major food groups: Alcohol, Sugar, Caffeine and Fat.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: one ounce of Kelloggs Special K contains more salt than one ounce of potato chips. An 8-oz glass of Ocean Spray cranberry cocktail contains the same amount of sugar as an 8-oz glass of Coca Cola.

My nominee for the worst food you can eat is one of those dry add-water cuppa-soup products. A single serving contains 95% of your minimum daily "requirement" of salt. It's instant congestive heart failure. For Sodium, the amount called the "minimum daily requirement" is actually the "maximum daily limit", another of the lies from our high-profit food industry. You can live a long and prosperous life on one-third of that 2,400 mg of sodium, and will die soon if you consistently exceed it.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-18-2010 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I only ask because I'm considering seeing if I eat them and if so either cutting back or just weaning myself off of them all together.

This morning I had a co worker who was munching on a Slim Jim. I know they're not really healthy for you and I causally mentioned how i like them just how they're full of fat and processed meat. His response was "yeah....but at least it's healthier than sugar".

I know sugar isn't really good for you either. I think i once heard someone tell me doughnuts were the #1 worst thing you could possibly eat.

So lets hear it......what are the worst foods to put into your body?
Slim Jims are nothing but extremely cheap "meat" (technically) and tons of grease. Gross.

Sugar isn't bad for you; only too much sugar (refined or not), which most of us are guilty of.

Too much salt is also bad, and highly "processed" foods, although that is also kind of vague.....largely I'm thinking the pre-made frozen meals etc.

Really it's as much common sense as it ever was. More fruits/vegetables, less sugar, salt, fat, and meats. Fish is best, followed by chicken and pork, then beef, but beef is fine too, again in moderation - key words there.

Also don't cook at extremely high temps (around 400+ I think) and avoid the "charring" (black stuff), it is cancerous. But again.......a little of that is no big deal, just not a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink