Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2023, 10:02 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'll say that most mac 'n' cheese I despite. But baked, southern mac 'n' cheese I can't get enough of
I will admit that I do love Kraft Mac & Cheese. It was a staple in college and I will always have a fondness for it. I haven't had it in years because 1) I'm avoiding processed carbs 2) my husband has never been a big fan of it, he prefers Velveeta shells which I make for him from time to time.

I also make a really delicious, much requested homemade mac & cheese that I serve strictly on the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 10:10 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I will admit that I do love Kraft Mac & Cheese. It was a staple in college and I will always have a fondness for it. I haven't had it in years because 1) I'm avoiding processed carbs 2) my husband has never been a big fan of it, he prefers Velveeta shells which I make for him from time to time.

I also make a really delicious, much requested homemade mac & cheese that I serve strictly on the holidays.
I like homemade, but dh prefers Kraft. Sigh.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:24 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like homemade, but dh prefers Kraft. Sigh.
I also still love Top Ramen, chicken flavored is the best. And, I love Jose Ole frozen burritos - one of my old roommates got me hooked on them.

Alas, I avoid processed carbs so those are no longer on my menu. My diet would be pretty bad if I gave into all of my impulses.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:49 AM

2,975 posts, read 1,644,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not sure I ever actually HAD dumplings, but I get the impression they are the same as matzoh balls. Just blobs of dough cooked in broth, right? Not appealing. A mouthful of mush.
My grandmother's chicken and dumplings was much loved in the family. She did a lot with chicken, they raised chickens for a while. I remember her plucking a chicken, dipping it into a pot of boiling water to loosen the feathers and using tweezers to pull the pin feathers out. Then she cooked it and we ate it!

Guess I was too young to be grossed out.

Her dumplings were made with biscuit dough dropped in the stew for ten minutes. No lifting the lid! They were light and fluffy inside.

It was served in a wide dinner bowl, chicken stew with a dumpling on top, split open with a pat of butter, yum.
Good eatin'.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:24 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

I love mac n cheese, but of course rarely ate it.

I've settled on a cheese sauce made from blended cottage cheese, cheddar powder, and fresh cheese, over garbanzo bean pasta.

Now I have it once a month.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-26-2023, 12:41 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Ok, this isn’t exactly on topic, but here goes.

What is the penchant for “roasting” everything vegetable!? You can shoot me if you like, or take me out back and whip me, but sometimes I like my vegetables steamed, or even, (gasp!) boiled! Now, I’m not talking about boiled to death, like canned peas, but jeepers.

Just because you can put it in a sheet pan and stick it in the oven doesn’t mean you HAVE to.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:47 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Ever since I started roasting vegetables, I can't remember the last time I steamed or boiled. I find it's much more flavorful!

Old 06-26-2023, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Steak. I would rather have a god burger any day. In fact, last weekend I grilled a steak for my wife, and hot links for myself. I think it cokes from my childhood, when we had "steak" every weekend. My father had a T-bone, but the rest of us (9 kids) had to eat chuck roast that he had the butcher department split into two big steaks. There is a reason it's called a chuck roast and meant to be cooked long and slow.

Old 06-26-2023, 03:43 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Ok, this isn’t exactly on topic, but here goes.

What is the penchant for “roasting” everything vegetable!? You can shoot me if you like, or take me out back and whip me, but sometimes I like my vegetables steamed, or even, (gasp!) boiled! Now, I’m not talking about boiled to death, like canned peas, but jeepers.

Just because you can put it in a sheet pan and stick it in the oven doesn’t mean you HAVE to.
First of all, nobody is talking about canned vegetables. The only canned vegetable that is passable is corn, and corn is a starch like potatoes, so doesn’t even count as a vegetable.

I roast some vegetable almost every day, because they are better that way. Many vegetables are not as good that way. You do you.

We have roasted potato wedges a couple of times a week. Root vegetables are great, like carrots, beets, Brussels sprouts, etc. Sometimes asparagus, but I really prefer to stir fry it.

Vegetables I wouldn’t roast are peas, or broccoli.

Old 06-26-2023, 03:51 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
First of all, nobody is talking about canned vegetables. The only canned vegetable that is passable is corn, and corn is a starch like potatoes, so doesn’t even count as a vegetable.

I roast some vegetable almost every day, because they are better that way. Many vegetables are not as good that way. You do you.

We have roasted potato wedges a couple of times a week. Root vegetables are great, like carrots, beets, Brussels sprouts, etc. Sometimes asparagus, but I really prefer to stir fry it.

Vegetables I wouldn’t roast are peas, or broccoli.
Oh, I hear you. I was using the canned peas as a description of some boiled vegetables. (Such as how my mother cooked broccoli and any other veg.)
Not trying to convince anyone to NOT roast vegetables, I’m just stating my preferences, as is everyone else here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink