Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:55 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

I know not to pour it down the drain. What do I do with it after using it? I'm not a huge fryer so keeping it for another time won't make sense because it may be a while. Where can I safely get rid of it?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 04:11 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
I live in the sticks, I dump it in the woods.........you could dig a hole in your backyard and pour it in. Or pour it, when cooled, into an empty soup can(or several) or something else like that and throw it away

Old 05-31-2008, 04:21 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
I don't fry much but I do like bacon once in awhile. I use an empty coffee can for excess oil or grease from cooking. When it's about 3/4 full, I put it in the trash and get out a new can.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:46 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I do have empty soup cans for frying bacon, etc but I mean if I was going to fry chicken or something with a large amount of oil. I can't dump in my backyard as I really don't have too much of one

Old 05-31-2008, 06:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
You can store used vegetable oil for quite awhile, but old animal fat will smell like something dead. I just pour mine on the ground and it doesn't do any harm.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Well, if you dump it outside, it could attract critters.

I let it cool and mix some into my dogs' dry kibble. They like the treat and it's good for their coats. The rest goes into the kitchen trash bin bag.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:48 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
the trick my parents always do ( i dont fry much if at all):
after the oil is cool, they flush the toilet and as the water is running pour it down...

Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
after the oil is cool, they flush the toilet and as the water is running pour it down...

DON'T do that with a septic system! (You're inviting much worse problems than merely attracting animals.)

My mother saved her oil from frying chicken. I swear the oil she used to make her truly outstanding and nonreplicable fried chicken was 30 years old. Not refirgerated, either - just put in the can labeled "Grease".

Around here, if you're doing something like frying a turkey and let it be known, the biodiesel guys will come calling and collect it from you. I know of some that advertise on freecycle and such every holiday that they'll come take your used cooking oil off your hands. Maybe there would be someone like that around?

If you're talking just a cast iron skillet's worth, I use an empty can stuffed with paper towels or crumpled up newspaper and pour the oil in there and put it in the trash.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

DON'T do that with a septic system! (You're inviting much worse problems than merely attracting animals.)

My mother saved her oil from frying chicken. I swear the oil she used to make her truly outstanding and nonreplicable fried chicken was 30 years old. Not refirgerated, either - just put in the can labeled "Grease".

Around here, if you're doing something like frying a turkey and let it be known, the biodiesel guys will come calling and collect it from you. I know of some that advertise on freecycle and such every holiday that they'll come take your used cooking oil off your hands. Maybe there would be someone like that around?

If you're talking just a cast iron skillet's worth, I use an empty can stuffed with paper towels or crumpled up newspaper and pour the oil in there and put it in the trash.
sorry-never lived in a home with septic--so "dont try this at home"

Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Liike others I just use an empty can, usually a coffee can and keep it under my sink until it gets somewhat full then toss it with the trash. I rarely use any large amount of oil in cooking so it says there for quite awhile and have never noticed an odor. I have also put it in the yard once cooled but don't want to attract critters so that is rare. I think many of us remember our mothers using the old grease can under the sink since many of them had septic tanks in those day---and I have a septic tank today so that would never be a obtion of disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink