Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 09:41 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,154 times

Advertisements

Hi

I get a locally-produced honey from time to time here in CT. I got a jar a few weeks ago, and it is much lighter in color, and not as sweet as the jar I have, tho I can't remember when that one was purchased. There is no prod. date on the jars, only batch #s, which doesn't tell me anything. Phone calls to the producer have not been returned.

Is there at time of year where honey is sweeter/darker, vs. less sweet/lighter? Are there "seasons" for honey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 09:58 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Hi

I get a locally-produced honey from time to time here in CT. I got a jar a few weeks ago, and it is much lighter in color, and not as sweet as the jar I have, tho I can't remember when that one was purchased. There is no prod. date on the jars, only batch #s, which doesn't tell me anything. Phone calls to the producer have not been returned.

Is there at time of year where honey is sweeter/darker, vs. less sweet/lighter? Are there "seasons" for honey?

I'm curious too. I know that honey can taste different due to the types of flowers available to the honey bees. I've seen honey in stores that says "clover honey," I believe the clover flowers bloom pretty early in the season. Looking at google, it says March until November depending on the variety of clover

When I want local honey, I stop by a guy in the next town. The other day I was driving down a street in my town that I don't drive on that often. I noticed a push cart in one driveway that also had honey jars on it. I guess I'll have to try their honey the next time I have cash on me.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:03 PM

14,304 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Yes, there are seasons because bees are dependent on the flowers that are in bloom at any given time. The type of flower they are gathering pollen from gives each type of honey a distinctive color and flavor. Here in California, I can buy local honey and the types include clover, buckwheat, orange, sage, and wildflower. You might try contacting a local beekeeper and finding out what types of honey are produced in your area, what their appearance/flavor is, and what time of year each variety is in season,

Old 10-10-2023, 10:05 PM

Thanks. This is wildflower honey. Tho I don't know if that is a generic term that can include anything. You know, like... "meat". The jar does say "alba" on it. I do not have any local beekeepers - at least none that I am aware of, but will check. So, what time of year yields... what?

Old 10-10-2023, 10:57 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Thanks. This is wildflower honey. Tho I don't know if that is a generic term that can include anything. You know, like... "meat". The jar does say "alba" on it. I do not have any local beekeepers - at least none that I am aware of, but will check. So, what time of year yields... what?

That really can't be answered without knowing the type of honey, like I said, clover honey, or wild flowers which would bloom around May depending on what flowers are in the mix, usually there are various daisies, cone flowers and bee friendly flowers in the mixes.

Old 10-11-2023, 06:29 AM

Ah, so maybe the first jar that I have has a different mix of flowers, than the second jar? That would make sense, I guess. So there is no way of knowing what part of the year the honey is sweetest?

Old 10-11-2023, 07:09 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Do you have a farmers market or flea market nearby? Our flea market has a guy that sells different sorts of honey from area beekeepers and they are labeled with the types of honey, here I have had sourwood, black locust, clover, and wildflower.

Old 10-11-2023, 08:48 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Google bee keepers association.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=17040.0

Old 10-11-2023, 09:05 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Honey is one of those products that can be adulterated. I don't think "alba" means anything here. Alba is white nerve tissue.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Thanks. I am getting 404s on the links I have tried, which is not all of them, but many. Not your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Honey is one of those products that can be adulterated. I don't think "alba" means anything here. Alba is white nerve tissue.
I guess it is this?

https://www.gardenia.net/plant/pulsatilla-vulgaris-alba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Do you have a farmers market or flea market nearby? Our flea market has a guy that sells different sorts of honey from area beekeepers and they are labeled with the types of honey, here I have had sourwood, black locust, clover, and wildflower.
There is a farmers market in Orange on Thursdays, which is not too far from me. Was there once last year, and did notice someone selling honey. Maybe I will stop by and ask a few Qs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink