Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 04:18 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times

Advertisements

I’ve always been a decent cook.
I got into this about 4-5 months ago when I couldn’t find good local bread.
It’s really fun, challenging and somehow very relaxing for me.
There is like a creative zen thing to it for me.

Sometimes I go way way out there when I do inclusions.
I’ll do cooks with,
Bacon, jalapeño and cheddar
Clams, garlic and parmesan
Garlic, rosemary and parmesan
There are a few other combinations I do as well like raisin cinnamon or walnut cranberry.

I mostly just do a plain flour bread or a blended bread flour with 15% dark rye flour for table fare.
There are some elderly retired folks in my hood and it is really rewarding giving them a fresh loaf.

Anyways it’s a lot of fun.
Are any of you doing this as a hobby?
Here are some pics of my cooks.
Attached Thumbnails
Artisan bread-img_4052.jpeg   Artisan bread-img_3933.jpeg   Artisan bread-img_3899.jpeg   Artisan bread-img_1417.jpeg   Artisan bread-img_4010.jpeg  

Artisan bread-img_1398.jpeg   Artisan bread-img_3952.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 04:50 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Impressive!!!
Would you mind to share a bit more about your breads? Thank you!

Old 01-11-2024, 04:54 PM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Looks wonderful, I wish you were my neighbor I might make a bread out of a box or bag, but not from scratch, it scares me

Old 01-11-2024, 05:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
Sure I’ll share any information I have.

For me this journey started about 5-6 months ago while I was learning to make pizza.
We live near water and I thought clams on pizza would be cool, so I picked some clams and off I went.
I mean clams, garlic and pasta work right?
That turned out really well and then I thought clams would go good in sourdough kinda like a Frisco bowl of clam chowder but I thought I’d bake it instead and that did well too.

I built my own sourdough started watching a few YouTube videos.
It took about 8-9 days to get a nice strong starter that’s often referred to as the mother.

I used my well water and dark rye flour at first using a one to one ratio.
I had to feed it everyday.
After it was well established I started feeding it white flour because I didn’t want all my cooks tasting like rye.
I figured I’d have a neutral mother that can be used for numerous different things and I could always just add rye if I wanted that rye flavor.

I’ve spent most of my life living near San Francisco and I dig sourdough.
I think the microbes up here in this Washington marine environment is not much different San Francisco and might even be better because it’s cleaner.

This is both easy and challenging.
I mean it’s not rocket science and even when I mess up I still have a loaf that tastes pretty darn good even if it’s flatter than ideal.

It takes me 3 days to make some loafs.
Day one - 5 minutes, feeding the mother to get ready for a cook.
Day two - 4 hours, but I only work about an hour or two total at 5-10 minutes per hour minutes so mixing dough, placing it in baskets and doing a clean up.
Day three- 1 hour baking
I have a lot of projects at the house I’m doing so I just find time to fit in my baking obligations.

I don’t use a stand mixer.
I was really scared about this practice at first because I have arthritis but it’s pretty easy on me and I only have to stretch and fold the dough for a couple of minutes at a time so I’m not kneading the dough like the old fashioned way.
Thank God.

There are a few things (actually there are a lot of things) I would really like to get better at.
I’d really like to say I can do great baguettes but I’m still mediocre at this.
Same with a few other disciplines.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:17 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Bows in your direction. I don't even attempt it.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:25 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Wow! So beautiful. Very impressive, Andy!

My breadmaking is limited to the no-knead kind, but I’ve adjusted the recipe a bit and it comes out pretty perfect and consistent every time.

It “looks like” artisan bread, but it’s not. Tastes good tho.

Last edited by puginabug; 01-11-2024 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-12-2024, 07:28 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Beautiful loaves!

I've been into bread making three or four times over 40 years, most recently during covid lockdown.

I never got the hang of sourdough bread, but it's fabulous for pancakes, English muffins, and more.

I kneaded by hand many times, but nowadays, I much prefer a bread machine to take it to the "dough" stage, then shape and bake out of the machine. You can get a bread machine for $10 or $15 at a thrift shop or garage sale.

Basic ingredients are simple; flour, water, yeast. Of course many recipes call for sugar, milk, butter, potatoes, etc., but don't get intimidated and feel you have to use a mix; that'll cost much more than scratch baking.

You can make so many delicious breads! pita, naan, focaccia, french, mmm mmm

Biggest problem with baking bread regularly is weight gain!

Old 01-12-2024, 07:34 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
Wow! I'm going to try and not get motivated to learn to bake bread but am impressed with your output MechAndy.
If I was snowed in for a week it would be a goal but luckily I live in North Carolina haha.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:55 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
that bread looks so yummy. Put some butter on it and I am all set. I would actually buy these if you were selling them at a farmers market. was it difficult to do? I make quick breads from scratch and orange marmalade bread but that's it.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Mine is not nearly as impressive, I mostly just do sourdough. My starter is about 5 years old, and I often make one loaf to eat and two more taken out of the oven early to freeze and finish baking to eat hot another day. Last night I did pizzas and that sourdough crust was great, nice and chewy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink