Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Lindsey Mcfarren and I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper. I admit that if it were to suddenly become illegal, I might be driven to illegal acts to obtain a supply for my own personal use, I of course would NOT become a dealer in the illegal substance.

In 2005, I drove home to Texas to spend some time with family AND pack up some things that my Mother wanted me to have (alot of breakables) and drive back home pulling a U-haul. I got caught up in a family NIGHTMARE and whenever I felt overwhelmed I would reach for a Dr. Pepper. While I was there I so depleted the local supply the Dallas plant had to step up production to meet the increased need.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks but at the time I was not taking Paxil to treat it, I was taking regular infusions of Dr. Pepper instead. I have never liked tea of coffee, just Dr. Pepper. I could have hung an IV and dripped it straight into my vein. I do understand that Caffiene is a stimulant but for some reason, it has always settled my nerves.

Only a month after I got back, I had an attack of kidney stones. It was THE most painful thing I have ever been through in my life. Demerol didn't even touch the pain, I would have preferred someone dropping an anvil on my head to knock me out then what they actually did. I vowed to give up my beloved Dr. Pepper. I ended up to limiting myself to only one a month or so. I didn't drink any other kind of soda either, sticking to LOTS of bottled water and some juice and milk.

NOW, I'm telling myself that the stones were due to the amount I was drinking and that I can get away with drinking it responsibly , only one a day. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

I would normally just have a Dr. Pepper when we would go to our favorite Tex Mex place. BECAUSE as we all know, Dr. Pepper is so good with Mexican food. BUT lets be honest, its SO good with a hamburger, its awesome with chocolate, its fabulous with my white cheddar cheetos. The only time I can think of that its BAD, is right after you have brushed your teeth.

The other morning, I had to work at 9 but I had not slept all night. I had to run to the grocery store for a couple small things after my daughter went to school and I tripped and fell along the path of abstinence. I had a Dr. Pepper. OH MY GOD, the feeling that went through my body, I was jacked up on that $hit all day. It was AWESOME, I got so much done, I didn't get tired, I moved furniture, cleaned the house. I felt SO good. Maybe there is some heavenly effect when Paxil comingles with Dr. Pepper in my system but I decided I needed more stimulants in my life there and then. If you know me very well at all, you know I recently lost one of my beloved pets, it has had me really down but with Dr. Pepper, I felt so much better!!

NOW my reasoning is that I can control my addiction, I can limit it to just ONE a day in the morning before I start work. I can stop anytime. BUT I don't WANT to stop, I WANT my Dr. Pepper.

I remember one time I had stopped drinking Dr. Pepper after my Father had passed away. I again had become SO stressed that I was drinking too much. I stopped it cold turkey, I got the withdrawal headaches like a big dog. It was awful but at least I had it out of my system. Then I went to the UK and spent three months. While there I got pneumonia. Well this might come as a shock but Dr. Pepper tastes SO good when your sick. AND believe it or not I was able to find it at Tescos in the UK. My old friend kept me from feeling so homesick when I was coughing up a lung. OH it also tastes so good when your taking medication to remove that chalky taste from your mouth. It was then I also realized it was especially good in combination with those truncheon sized Toblerone bars of chocolate that I first discovered in the UK years ago.

Today I went to the grocery store and gave into my addiction. I purchased a 12 pack. My daughter came home from school and scolded me like I had left a crack pipe out on the counter or fallen back into a bottle of booze. I told her I was going to limit myself to only one a day in the morning. She was not impressed with my declaration.

I have a keychain that is a 6 pack of Dr. Pepper, I have chapstick that looks like a can of Dr. Pepper. I had to force myself to walk away when I found that they had T-shirts and baseball hats of Dr. Pepper. I used to use an avatar of Dr. Pepper and am DYING to have a mouse pad.

I LOVE the way it bubbles up when you pour it over ice, I love the smell and the sound and best of all the taste of it when you take your first drink first thing in the morning. It is absolutely HEAVEN over vanilla ice cream, that is when it truly shines.

I am sinking into my addiction, I can feel it. I have to go back and get that T-shirt.

Last edited by Lindsey_Mcfarren; 06-04-2008 at 02:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i have to agree with you here. dr. pepper is pretty awsome.
that is what i order when we have fast food.
one day i was at work and feeling under the weather. i went down to get myself a bottle of orange juice, but somehow clicked the wrong botton--i got Dr pepper instead.
OMG! it actually unstiffed my nose! i felt like i just had a tatsy dose of medicine, and i just felt so much better!

Old 06-04-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i have to agree with you here. dr. pepper is pretty awsome.
that is what i order when we have fast food.
one day i was at work and feeling under the weather. i went down to get myself a bottle of orange juice, but somehow clicked the wrong botton--i got Dr pepper instead.
OMG! it actually unstiffed my nose! i felt like i just had a tatsy dose of medicine, and i just felt so much better!
I can't extole the virtues of Dr. Pepper enough when your sick. Its awesome, it gets rid of that nasty taste I always get when I have a sinus problem. When I get REALLY sick, I have to take an antibiotic that leaves a constant metallic taste in my mouth, it gets rid of that. You have to try it with hot and spicey foods, its a match made in gastronomic heaven.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:05 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
I have a suggestion, Miss Lindsey Mcfarren, if you are really serious about ending your addiction to the good Dr.
Why not start smoking?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I have a suggestion, Miss Lindsey Mcfarren, if you are really serious about ending your addiction to the good Dr.
Why not start smoking?
LOL, no kidding. When I talk about how I have stopped and then started again it does sound just like someone who is addicted to smoking.
I just had a hamburger from Steak and Shake with my white cheddar cheese Cheetos and a Dr. Pepper. OH MAN was it good.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:13 AM

You and your white cheddar cheese Cheetos!!! There you go again!!!

Okay -- I will fess up. Well everyone who knows me know this. For you it's the good Dr. For me, it's The Real Thing -- straight Pepsi. Pepsi in the morning, Pepsi in the evening, Pepsi all the time!! Over ANY flavor ice cream, although chocolate is best. With ANY meal or not-meal.

So I really really reeeallly understand! Saaay, were we separated at birth? I think so.

But I ALSO must confess that the only thing I drink with pizza is ------
Dr. Pepper!! It just makes pizza perfect.

Last edited by allforcats; 06-04-2008 at 03:23 AM..

Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
You and your white cheddar cheese Cheetos!!! There you go again!!!

Okay -- I will fess up. Well everyone who knows me know this. For you it's the good Dr. For me, it's The Real Thing -- straight Pepsi. Pepsi in the morning, Pepsi in the evening, Pepsi all the time!! Over ANY flavor ice cream, although chocolate is best. With ANY meal or not-meal.

So I really really reeeallly understand! Saaay, were we separated at birth? I think so.
I'm starting to wonder that myself. I was born in National City California in 1967, YOU??

I grew up in Texas and my family were Dr. Pepper people. When I was really little my grandmother would give me a small juice glass of Dr. Pepper but it was our little secret because my Mother was adamant that I should NOT have any. Of course it became what I wanted MOST in the world. I'm sure thats where my addiction started.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm starting to wonder that myself. I was born in National City California in 1967, YOU??

I grew up in Texas and my family were Dr. Pepper people. When I was really little my grandmother would give me a small juice glass of Dr. Pepper but it was our little secret because my Mother was adamant that I should NOT have any. Of course it became what I wanted MOST in the world. I'm sure thats where my addiction started.
I was born in New York City, a raving Cancerian of 1940 vintage, so unless we had the MOST clever mother in history.... But as you wrote recently in a whole 'nother thread, friends are the family you choose...

I never heard of Dr. Peps until I started living on the west coast in the 1980s. I think my first couple of tastes were horrid. Kinda like Brits trying root beer, I suppose -- "Isn't that medicine???" But I do love Dr. P with pizza, on a hot summer's day, on a cool winter's day, any damn day at all. It is a FINE concoction, isn't it?! And I salute your excellent taste!!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 AM

I do like my new advertising slogan --
Dr. Pepper makes pizza perfect!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I'm a Pepper as well, although because of the sugar issue I don't drink it all that often. It's a real -- and rare -- treat for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink