Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 11:08 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times

Advertisements

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...heat#downsides

This site, which I'm unsure of their veracity, says this between the difference in Tartary vs 'regular' buckwheat-
Quote:
Buckwheat is rich in various antioxidant plant compounds, which are responsible for many of its health benefits. In fact, it provides more antioxidants than many other cereal grains, such as barley, oats, wheat, and rye (21, 22Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source).

Tartary buckwheat has a higher antioxidant content than common buckwheat (24Trusted Source, 25Trusted Source).
They did cite the NIH Library, so that's good.

From what I can gather Tartary has as much as 5x the antioxidant properties as common buckwheat, however common buckwheat has antioxidant properties, and that seems to be the main difference. Nutritionally they appear very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 04:57 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Meh, I'll stick with the 12 other flours I use already.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2024, 06:36 PM

Make blueberry muffins and call your antioxidant fix DONE!

Old 02-14-2024, 09:24 PM

977 posts, read 517,163 times
It's just wheat, despite all the yuppie terminology. I stopped eating wheat years ago, it's not really what humans should be eating. It's very difficult to digest, causes stomach issues, and is very high in calories and low in nutrients. Nearly all of it has been genetically altered to a point where it isn't wheat anymore anyway.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:53 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It's just wheat, despite all the yuppie terminology. I stopped eating wheat years ago, it's not really what humans should be eating. It's very difficult to digest, causes stomach issues, and is very high in calories and low in nutrients. Nearly all of it has been genetically altered to a point where it isn't wheat anymore anyway.
Buckwheat is not wheat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-15-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
All buckwheat is a fruit seed.

Most of the buckwheat grown (at least in WV) were seeds imported from Europe/Asia at some point. I'm just curious if there is some grand difference between what is being advertised at what looks like $25 for 2lbs vs. $13.00 for 2lbs at King Arthur flour, where my wife buys her baking goods.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9037080/

We've been buying buckwheat for decades so I'd be REALLY hard pressed to purchase it at a premium like that.

Edit- I just noticed I was looking at buckwheat SPROUT powder vs their buckwheat flour. The sprout powder looks like $76 for either 1 or 2 lbs. The posted site sells buckwheat flour at 2lbs for $25, which still seems to be a premium.
You should try reading the comments in the thread before commenting. People use buckwheat for precisely the reasons you posted.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-15-2024 at 10:21 AM..

Old 02-15-2024, 09:56 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
All buckwheat is a fruit seed.

Most of the buckwheat grown (at least in WV) were seeds imported from Europe/Asia at some point. I'm just curious if there is some grand difference between what is being advertised at what looks like $25 for 2lbs vs. $13.00 for 2lbs at King Arthur flour, where my wife buys her baking goods.
That's right. Thank you for the clarification.

I think that only difference between those two is a nutritional content due to location. The Himalayan buckwheat is uniquely packed with polyphenols including quercetin, rutin and many, many more. D-chiro-inositol (or DCI for short) is a signaling molecule that may impact metabolic processes.
Rutin has been found to reduce blood cholesterol levels, keep capillaries and arteries strong and flexible, improve blood microcirculation, and protect blood vessels from rupturing and forming clots. These flavonoids also demonstrate antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory activities.
According to research, HTB is the most immuneoactive, nutrient-dense plant yet discovered.

https://colsa.unh.edu/blog/get-healt...ealth-benefits
https://holisticprimarycare.net/topi...d-gluten-free/

Is the higher price justified? Maybe. If those polyphenols are important to you.
It's Himalayan - so not sourced locally.
It's cultivated on a much smaller scale, and maybe differently harvested and processed.
https://tartarybuckwheat.com/cultivation-and-uses/

Old 02-15-2024, 10:14 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:

All ^^^ is totally wrong:
Buckwheat is NOT a wheat, despite the name. Buckwheat isn't even a grain.
It is a crop that has never been genetically modified, so all buckwheat is non-GMO.
Buckwheat is richer in minerals than many common cereals, such as rice, wheat, and corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink