Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 02:24 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Although I'm not disagreeing per se, why does every pizza thread turn into this?

The OP's question was very specific.
Probably because in a forum like this most of us know how to cook?

Go into a woodworker forum and ask which is better, Ashley or Ethan Allen or Ikea, and you'll get a similar response.

The variables are:

Ingredients

Rise time/yeast

Cooking time/temp -thick/thin/cake/cracker

Portion sizes

Cleanliness/ food safety

Management or quality oversight

Price and local comparisons

About the only thing consistent even within a chain is the ingredient list, and even that can vary depending on if it is a national buy, Sysco, local jobbers. They try to keep the other variables under control, but with varying success.

On ingredients, Pizza Hut uses a sweet sauce compared to others. LC tends to use a lot of salt. PJ, from what I've seen, might be closest to a local pizzeria in a small town (NOT Chicago or NYC). Sabarros (sp?)- remember them? I used to get a handful of napkins to blot up the excess olive oil. I swear they sometimes used the spag sauce when they were playing inventory games.

Local pizzerias are a crap shoot. There is one in Huntsville, Big Ed's. The pizza I had from there had enough salt to clear all the roads in town after the latest snowmageddion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 02:43 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
The thing is, they are inconsistent. I have gotten really good pizzas from Pizza Hut and Dominoes, but then the next time they’re not as good. We’ve started just going to a new place every time we order it, but have yet to find perfection.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:27 PM

457 posts, read 219,519 times
Quote:
Domino's of today is way better than Domino's of 15 years ago. It's passable now if I see it at a party or something.
Agreed

Quote:
Pizza Hut is too bready-cheesy, not a good sauce balance.

I remember loving Pizza Hut in the 80s and 90s. In recent years, I don't think it's as good. Did they change their recipe? Or is it just nostalgia that makes me think it tasted better than it actually did? Or maybe my taste buds evolved since then.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:55 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
But OP asked about chain pizza places.

Thanks for your off the mark contribution to the topic. lol
Quote:
Although I'm not disagreeing per se, why does every pizza thread turn into this?

The OP's question was very specific.
I did answer the OP's question, if you didn't understand my answer so be it !

Old 02-14-2024, 09:14 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The thing is, they are inconsistent. I have gotten really good pizzas from Pizza Hut and Dominoes, but then the next time they’re not as good. We’ve started just going to a new place every time we order it, but have yet to find perfection.
I think this is the most logical answer. One would think a franchise-type place would have consistent quality but they don't. I had some really good Domino's a couple of years ago & now the same location is terrible. I only had Little Caesar's at something like a work-related event & it was always like tomato sauce on cardboard. For now, I don't really like any of them, I guess if I was literally starving I would feel different.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:21 PM

966 posts, read 517,163 times
Those are awful choices. Find yourself an authentic local Italian restaurant or visit New York for the REAL pizzas.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:33 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
They all suck. Papa John's and Pizza Hut didn't used to, but unfortunately they decided to join the race to the bottom.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:36 AM

9 posts, read 1,374 times
I like Pizza Hut and my Mom likes Domino's. At Domino's I like the Mango Habanero Chicken. At Pizza Hut I like the boneless wings and eating them all on my own. The pizza at Papa John's is alright but we do not get it anymore. And Little Ceaser's is perfect to have for lunch!

1. Pizza Hut
2. Little Ceaser's
3. Domino's
4. Papa John's

Old 02-15-2024, 04:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I did answer the OP's question, if you didn't understand my answer so be it !
Golly gee you showed us!

Old 02-15-2024, 05:30 AM

4,833 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think all of those, Papa Johns, Dominos, Little Caesars, Pizza Hut are barely better than no pizza. I find both Papa Murphy's Take & Bake to be decent, and also Round Table. Still we don't buy any of those since a smaller local chain opened in our city, called Zeek's, with 27 locations in our region, and the best which may be a one and only called Jobo's Pizza Pub.

I was a big fan of Papa Murphy's Take and Bake (Cowboy thin crust)... like once a week for a couple years. And then I got a greasy one. And I mean dripping. Next one the crust simply wouldn't cook for whatever reason. After a short break, another one a little too greasy from a different store. I know pizza's gonna be greasy... but they crossed the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink