Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 11:29 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I think the whole NYC water thing is a myth. I believe it is more related to the climate, humidity, and land elevation. Any dough will not rise properly in higher elevation. I'm not sure what the elevation of Hawaii is even at sea level it can be higher due to different land elevation. For example, cookie dough just doesn't cake up as well in Colorado.

I agree. I grew up in the NY area and the pizza choices were an embarrassment of riches. Now in NC, there was a pizza place that proudly said on the box that they really were from Brooklyn, the pizza was every bit as good as any I ever had in the NY area until the owner sold the place, what I hear from people is apparently the new owner apparently started using lower quality ingredients and the pizza just isn't what it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 03:06 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree. I grew up in the NY area and the pizza choices were an embarrassment of riches. Now in NC, there was a pizza place that proudly said on the box that they really were from Brooklyn, the pizza was every bit as good as any I ever had in the NY area until the owner sold the place, what I hear from people is apparently the new owner apparently started using lower quality ingredients and the pizza just isn't what it used to be.
It doesn't have to come from New York City, but water is very important.

https://www.seriouseats.com/does-nyc...-pizza-quality

I'll put Domino's in the #1 spot. I've never eaten Little Caesars. The last time that I had the other two, years ago, they weren't very good.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:30 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The water in the northeast has a high mineral content, which makes a stronger gluten -- better crust.

and the real secret is NJ pizza is better overall then NYC pizza

Back to the original topic though, if i had to pick one of the chains listed, it would be papa johns. Even though they are all horrible. Honestly, some of the frozen ones are better.

But i could name 10 local pizza places that are miles above any of those.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:36 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I think the whole NYC water thing is a myth. I believe it is more related to the climate, humidity, and land elevation. Any dough will not rise properly in higher elevation. I'm not sure what the elevation of Hawaii is even at sea level it can be higher due to different land elevation. For example, cookie dough just doesn't cake up as well in Colorado.
I don't know. May ultimately be a myth and I've seen different opinions on how much the water impacts things, but everything I've read has shown the way to play at least a part in the equation, including this article: https://www.rd.com/article/why-bagel...r-in-new-york/

To be clear, though, this comparison isn't unique to bagels in NYC vs. Hawaii, but has been true for wherever else I've tried bagels throughout the country and world.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I like thin crust pizzas.

1) Dominos Specialty pizzas
2) Pizza Hut
3) Papa John's
4) frozen Tony's Cheese pizza

Of course the 2 local hometown chains are the best.

Old 02-17-2024, 06:55 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Lets talk chain pizza restaurants. How do you rank these, from best to worst?

Papa Johns is the best to me. It's like a boring but dependable relative. You know what to expect and you get it every time. The sauce has a zing to it that makes it stand out.

Dominos is second best. It will never be considered "good" pizza, but it has enough flavor that I don't dislike it. For the price I can't complain.

Little Caesars is bad. It's the kind of pizza that tastes good when you're 13, and haven't tried anything else. It's cardboard.

Pizza Hut is the worst. It manages to be flavorless, soggy cardboard that is also overpriced.

What do you think?
Looks like you've already made your decision.

"Boring but dependable"
"never be consider good"
"bad"
"worst"

Can't argue any of your points. They ARE like the cardboard box they came in.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:19 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Papa Johns is the only one of them that is edible. It is not great, but it is edible. I would eat it if served. The rest of them would go straight into the trash. I am at a point in my aging life where I am not going to take on extra calories eating low quality crap. It had better be worth the cost in added calories.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:17 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
1) Little Caesars
2) Dominos
3) Papa John's
4) Pizza Hut

Personally, I would rather buy a cheap frozen pizza and add a bunch of toppings.

Old 02-17-2024, 12:48 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
The water in the northeast has a high mineral content, which makes a stronger gluten -- better crust.

and the real secret is NJ pizza is better overall then NYC pizza

Back to the original topic though, if i had to pick one of the chains listed, it would be papa johns. Even though they are all horrible. Honestly, some of the frozen ones are better.

But i could name 10 local pizza places that are miles above any of those.

When I lived in NJ I could walk to at least 3 in 15 minutes or less.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:50 PM

828 posts, read 772,300 times
Little Caesars - besides being named after the Roman who found out sometimes it sucks to be the king (Mel Brooks), it also has something none of these chains has - a decent thick crust pizza (Detroit style).

Papa Johns - Boring but decent quality

Pizza Hut - Oh how the mighty has fallen, just awful

Dominos - They make it too hard to order in our area, so I don’t

Will say I like the taste of the old world style Marcos pizza, it is really greasy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink