Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 07:47 PM

10,017 posts, read 5,722,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Little Caesars - besides being named after the Roman who found out sometimes it sucks to be the king (Mel Brooks), it also has something none of these chains has - a decent thick crust pizza (Detroit style).
Ugh. Jet's has them beat by 10 miles for Detroit-style. (or would that be 8 Miles?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 07:55 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,995,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Little Caesars - besides being named after the Roman who found out sometimes it sucks to be the king (Mel Brooks), it also has something none of these chains has - a decent thick crust pizza (Detroit style).

Papa Johns - Boring but decent quality

Pizza Hut - Oh how the mighty has fallen, just awful

Dominos - They make it too hard to order in our area, so I don’t
How is it harder to order from Dominos ?

Old 02-23-2024, 08:38 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I had Pizza in Tennessee from a place called mellow Mushroom and the crust was great. We had the Holy Shiitake Pizza

Olive oil and garlic base with roasted shiitake, button and Portobello mushrooms, caramelized onions, mozzarella, Wisconsin Aged White Cheddar cheese, fresh chives, shaved Parmesan, garlic aioli swirl and a spritz of black truffle oil. It was really good.
I've had that exact pizza from mellow mushroom several times, and I agree it's good. But Mellow mushroom isn't comparable to the four places in this subject line. MM is a restaurant (that offers take out). The others are take out places (that occasionally have seating where you can sit and eat,)

Old 02-23-2024, 01:50 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Ugh. Jet's has them beat by 10 miles for Detroit-style. (or would that be 8 Miles?)
Exactly how many Jets are there outside of Michigan and Ohio??

Almost none

Old 02-23-2024, 01:51 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've had that exact pizza from mellow mushroom several times, and I agree it's good. But Mellow mushroom isn't comparable to the four places in this subject line. MM is a restaurant (that offers take out). The others are take out places (that occasionally have seating where you can sit and eat,)
Pizza Hut has many sit down locations.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:00 PM

5,907 posts, read 6,995,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Good point.

I didn't realize MM was in Tennessee. I remember when they were just the hippie place near Ga. Tech. Now they are a franchise, and seem to be getting bigger.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:44 PM

10,017 posts, read 5,722,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Pizza Hut has many sit down locations.
As a percentage of locations, it's a small sliver. In terms of raw numbers, it's probably still a couple hundred.

Next time I'm near a dine-in Pizza Hut I'm tempted to give it a try, just to see if they still have the old Pizza Hut mojo or if they suck as bad as their "Express" locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Exactly how many Jets are there outside of Michigan and Ohio??

Almost none

There are Jets locations all over the place. Plenty of 'em here in the Chicago area.

Attached Thumbnails
Papa Johns vs Dominos vs Pizza Hut vs Little Caesars-jets.jpg  

Last edited by Bitey; 02-23-2024 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-25-2024, 03:58 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
All of those are the worst !!
NO frozen pizza is good !!
Mom & pop pizza joints are far superior to store bought or chain pizzas!
Homemade is the best , it's easy, it's cheaper, and you can make any topping you want.
Some places don't have real pizza, though. I figure that's why OP is asking about chains.

I never heard of some of these chains mentioned in the thread. I got Domino's the other day because I am in a strange city not known for good pizza and they delivered the fastest. Was edible, but not that good really. The thin crust was good but the sauce was meh.

Pizza Hut and Papa John's are awful. Haven't had either in years. I know Pizza Hut is just premade frozen anyway. Not sure about Papa John's.

Never had Little Caeser's but I have seen commercials for them.

In NYC, there is a chain called Pronto that is not too bad. One was near my old office and I would get a slice for lunch.

I did used to grit my teeth because they also had a sign that said "Hot Hero's" and it was way too high to get to with my Sharpie.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-25-2024 at 04:06 PM..

Old 02-25-2024, 04:13 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When I lived in NJ I could walk to at least 3 in 15 minutes or less.
I can do that easily. Two are family-owned with great pizza and shops that look like they were last decorated in 1975. The third place is newer but is old style down to a dining room.in the back where you can bring your own wine and order Italian food if you don't want just the pizza up front.

There was a fourth newer one just like that but it closed during COVID.

Old 02-26-2024, 02:38 PM

5,351 posts, read 3,237,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
shops that look like they were last decorated in 1975.
This is how you know you're going to get an excellent pizza. If it's cash only...forget about it, it will be the best in the state. I recently moved back to my home state and occasionally take the half hour drive to my childhood city for pizza. The place looks exactly the same as it did when I was a kid!

Anyhow, back to the OPs request for a ranking....

Thin crust/hand tossed, whatever it's called:
1. Little Caesars. Get it fresh, not that hot n ready stuff that's been sitting there for who knows how long.
2. Papa Johns. I want to like it but there's something offputting about it, I think the sauce is too sweet for me.
3. Tie Domino's and Pizza Hut - I am not a fan of either's thin crust

Deep Dish:
1. Domino's. I like their deep dish. Even though I'm surrounded by good pizza, I wouldn't turn down a Domino's deep dish if it were offered.
2. Papa Johns. Not sure if they still have it because I haven't ordered in easily 20 years, but they used to have a square deep dish that was pretty good.
3. Little Caesar's. They are small and square, but a bonus there's a crusty cheesy edge in every bite.
4. Pizza Hut. I will not order their deep dish, I don't like it. At all.

Also, there was a comment a few pages ago about Pizza Hut childhood memories, and I agree. When I was a kid Pizza Hut used to be a treat. Whenever you grabbed a slice of that pizza you got the 2 foot cheese stretch, it was something special. I imagine all of the pizzas on this list use those miniscule shreds of cheese (which was probably frozen at some point) and the cheese is what always throws me off about these chain pizzas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink