Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 10:59 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
Filipino food would probably be my least favorite.
I haven't had it, but Jollibee has come to my area, and there isn't a single thing on the menu that looks appealing to me. I know it's fast food and maybe not representative, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 01:16 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Anything with fiddlehead fern (or fernbrake or braken or whatever they call it in Korean foods).

Tried it once. Almost immediately after ingesting it I projectile vomited like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Right there at the table.

No primates, dogs, cats or other off mammal foods. No crunchy fried bats, rats, gophers..

Old 02-26-2024, 01:36 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
No Balut for me, or dog or cat either. I like all the flavors of the seasonings in all Asian foods I have tried. My faves are Indian & Thai
Same. I should have just copied and pasted your post because this is how I feel as well.

For those who don’t know, balut is a Fillipino “delicacy” (?) that is an egg with a partially developed chicken inside. Yuck!!! Not a fan of most Filipino foods. Seems like EVERY work potluck in history someone brings pancit.

My favorites in order are:

Thai
Indian
Japanese

Old 02-28-2024, 12:59 PM

986 posts, read 530,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
I love Asian food Chinese food, Vietnamese mmm pho, Thai, and Korean I haven't had much unless except when I get Kimchi and cook up some rice cakes.

Filipino food would probably be my least favorite.
I don't think even Filipinos eat Filipino food. I may eat it, but I'm going to peek into it and go on a fact finding mission to try and figure out what's actually in it first.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:38 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
I am a pho of Vietnamese food. </kidding>

Old 02-29-2024, 01:06 PM

61,724 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I didn't come across any Asian food I wouldn't love. Yet.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:14 PM

737 posts, read 410,988 times
I tend to like all Asian food except for the fringe items like monkey brains. Andrew Zimmerman had several TV shows in Asia which highlighted alot of stuff I would not eat

Old 03-01-2024, 07:49 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Anything with fiddlehead fern (or fernbrake or braken or whatever they call it in Korean foods).

Tried it once. Almost immediately after ingesting it I projectile vomited like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Right there at the table.

No primates, dogs, cats or other off mammal foods. No crunchy fried bats, rats, gophers..
My daughter went to school in Chengdu, in the Sichuan province. That's when she first became a vegetarian. She likes the spicy flavors, but not the pig brains, rabbits, frogs, etc., popular in Sichuan cuisine.

Later she returned to China and lived in Beijing for a year. She sent pictures of the lovely street food when she first got there--fried scorpion, snake, spider, and baby shark on a stick.

A coworker of mine who is a Jain went on a tour to China with a group. They brought their own chef to make sure they had access to what they could eat with their religious dietary restrictions.

He said he had a conversation with a Chinese person about their food, particularly dogs. He told them "we like our dogs as pets". The Chinese man laughed and said, "We like them on the table. If it walks with its back to the sun, we will eat it."

Old 03-02-2024, 08:19 AM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter went to school in Chengdu, in the Sichuan province. That's when she first became a vegetarian. She likes the spicy flavors, but not the pig brains, rabbits, frogs, etc., popular in Sichuan cuisine.

Later she returned to China and lived in Beijing for a year. She sent pictures of the lovely street food when she first got there--fried scorpion, snake, spider, and baby shark on a stick.

A coworker of mine who is a Jain went on a tour to China with a group. They brought their own chef to make sure they had access to what they could eat with their religious dietary restrictions.

He said he had a conversation with a Chinese person about their food, particularly dogs. He told them "we like our dogs as pets". The Chinese man laughed and said, "We like them on the table. If it walks with its back to the sun, we will eat it."
Yeah, the older Chinese came from a generation who have experienced real famine.

Read some of the stories and you hear about whole communities that ran out of food and had to eat bark and mud.

Imagine being brought up in that kind of environment. The mindset would definitely be - if it's edible, we do not waste it.

We all live with an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food, so we have no inkling in what it means to starve for days or weeks.

I won't eat dogs / cats, etc but wouldn't look down on people who were brought up in that generation of poverty whose mindset is purely pragmatic.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:39 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Sushi and kimchi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink