Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 11:43 AM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times

Advertisements

Sushi actually means rice; sashimi is raw fish.
I'm okay with a California roll, but will skip the fugu. And poke bowls, also raw fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am a pho of Vietnamese food. </kidding>
It's pronounced "fuh", but I get the joke.

Old 03-02-2024, 12:42 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,024,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It's pronounced "fuh", but I get the joke.
I never knew that. Well then, if pho is on the menu, I gotta say pho-geddaboudit! Not a fan.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:46 PM

1,140 posts, read 620,976 times
Lol, most Westerners pronounce it phonetically - Pho.

I only know it's pronounced Fuh because of foodie shows like Anthony Bourdain.

It's one of my favourite Asian dishes. You get a huge (XL) bowl of delicious beef bone broth with slippery yummy rice noodles. I load mine with thinly sliced raw beef and bits of diced up hot peppers. Then I pepper it with that delicious red (sriracha) hot sauce and a tad bit of brown (Hoisine) sauce.

Pre-Covid I could get a huge bowl for about $11. Now it's more like $20.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:59 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Same. I should have just copied and pasted your post because this is how I feel as well.

For those who don’t know, balut is a Fillipino “delicacy” (?) that is an egg with a partially developed chicken inside. Yuck!!! Not a fan of most Filipino foods. Seems like EVERY work potluck in history someone brings pancit.

My favorites in order are:

Thai
Indian
Japanese
I would say more street food as the egg shell protects the food from the environment more so than other street fair.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:26 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Yeah, the older Chinese came from a generation who have experienced real famine.

Read some of the stories and you hear about whole communities that ran out of food and had to eat bark and mud.

Imagine being brought up in that kind of environment. The mindset would definitely be - if it's edible, we do not waste it.

We all live with an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food, so we have no inkling in what it means to starve for days or weeks.

I won't eat dogs / cats, etc but wouldn't look down on people who were brought up in that generation of poverty whose mindset is purely pragmatic.
Exactly.

The same with the Chinese not lining up. They are only rude by our standards, but forming a line for something is just not what they do. Daughter and a friend were taking a bus trip to a beautiful natural area in the Sichuan province. Everyone on the trip had a bus ticket and an assigned seat. And still, when the bus arrived, they fought and elbowed one another out of the way to get on first.

One can imagine that behavior comes from having to fight for food.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly.

The same with the Chinese not lining up. They are only rude by our standards, but forming a line for something is just not what they do. Daughter and a friend were taking a bus trip to a beautiful natural area in the Sichuan province. Everyone on the trip had a bus ticket and an assigned seat. And still, when the bus arrived, they fought and elbowed one another out of the way to get on first.

I used to take the Stockton bus through Chinatown. Being in line meant nothing; the little old ladies would just shove past me.

Cultures are all different, Chinese don't value standing in line.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:06 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly.

We had a guide in China who talked about her grandparents having to eat tree roots during the famines. She also said that it takes some time for people to learn not to push for everything but things are changing quickly.
We were on a river cruise as part of that trip and we sat back and watched the Chinese passengers rush the buffet the first night. But when they saw the food was replaced they settled down and behaved like us westerners.
We have just returned from a week in Taiwan. I like most Asian food but not for breakfast. I do not eat seafood when overseas anywhere as I have been caught with terrible gastro (on our China trip half the group got it from the one meal of fish) I prefer Japanese food to Thai and these days anything too spicy makes me sneeze. Which is not a popular thing to do since Covid!

Old 03-03-2024, 09:50 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,024,916 times
Quote:
I used to take the Stockton bus through Chinatown. Being in line meant nothing; the little old ladies would just shove past me.

I've watched Youtube videos of train stations in China - absolute chaos and insanity! The people look like ants trying to rush onto the train while other are trying to get off. It would be so much more efficient and easier if they just held back for five seconds to let passengers get off first.

Old 03-10-2024, 01:35 PM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times
Quote:

I would sometimes frequent little China town in San Francisco, you could get knocked off the sidewalk, they were so determined to keep their path. Got yelled at a few times inside a shop, decided it was not worth repeating, so I stopped going.

Back on topic, I would never eat Shark Fin soup,such a dreadful way to treat a creature. Eat the whole dam thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink