Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 05:42 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

i will not eat raw fish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 05:49 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
my first fiancee was a Chinese guy from Hong Kong. We would go out to eat and he would order things speaking Cantonese which were not on the menu. He wouldn't tell me what he ordered or what we were eating until afterwards. I have to say it was delicious. After one tasty tidbit, he told me it was chicken feet. That was a little strange. It was great fun eating out with him. Except he got embarrassed because i was really good at eating with chopsticks, and he was not. He said it made him look bad that his white girlfriend was better at using chopsticks than he was. i thought it was hilarious.

no doubt I was Asian in many many previous lifetimes. I remember as a kid picking up chopsticks and being able to just use them right away, even to pick up small items. It has always felt very natural. The boyfriend said he remembers growing up all his sisters and their nanny too all trying to teach him how to use chopsticks, and he said he just could not get the hang of it.

Old 02-17-2024, 09:39 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
I like most Asian food, but can't stand Korean food. I don't get the appeal. I've been to 5 Korean restaurants and didn't like any of them. I find it all to be too fatty, too deep fried and they way overdo it on spice(this coming from a guy who orders Indian food extra hot).

Another is Taiwanese. It's not offensively bad, I just find it bland compared to food from other Asian countries.

What about you?
I love Indian food, but most of Korean food is meat. Korean barbecue. I agree that whatever I have had is greasy and deep fried.

I think it attracts American meat eaters who are fans of American barbecue seem to love Korean food. I am a fan of neither.

i do love Thai, Indian, (several kinds) Chinese (authentic regional food and some Chinese-American. I like Vietnamese food, but I have not had it very much for me to say that I love it. It was tasty, and I'd have it again.

There was a Korean vegetable broth that I had that I thought was good. However, it seems to be too meaty and greasy for me.

Not my favorite food.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:46 AM

20,627 posts, read 4,412,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Vietnamese pho - a watery bone broth with sliced meat and noodles. I've tried a few Vietnamese restaurants over the years and find the cuisine too meat based, or just not to my liking. Fertilized duck egg with an embryo inside is a popular street food in Vietnam & Cambodia...ugh.

Japanese incorporates seafood (both animal and plant matter) into almost everything...snacks, chips, cookies, condiments, you name it. I've seen products like this at Asian markets that I'd never buy.

And anything squirmy/wormy or snake-like...eels, sea slugs, "exotic" sea creatures.

Nope wouldn't touch that, or live octopus on a screwer. See video below:

Start video @ 2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYDkzqCfJzg

I enjoy calamari & fried octopus, but I'm not having that crawling in my stomach. lol

Old 02-18-2024, 06:30 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I like most asian foods but whenever we go to any asian restaurant, I always go for the shellfish seafood.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:54 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Sea cucumber. Had it once in brown sauce and it tasted like unflavored Knox gelatine and looked like a transparent jiggling **** on a platter. Ick.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:25 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

I enjoy calamari & fried octopus, but I'm not having that crawling in my stomach. lol
I ate 'live' octopus when we visited Korea. But only the legs were served, but yes, they were still wriggling. Rather chewy, but tasted very much like squid (not fried).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Dogs, bbq scorpions, chicken feet, rats... anything that's still alive while you eat it
BBQ scorpion in Thailand was a great Kodak moment. That's to only good thing I can say about it.
Chicken feet in one or two dim sum restaurants. Not my thing, but I can see the appeal.
Rats? No, but I did have guinea pig in Peru (cuy). And it was delightful.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

It's also cruel. No. I would not eat a live animal that may be as intelligent as a 3-year-old child.

I have terrible issues with the Korean dog meat trade. No plans to visit.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Dogs, bbq scorpions, chicken feet, rats... anything that's still alive while you eat it
ALL of this. ^^^^ NONE OF THIS. Some of those Asian wet markets are like pet shops.

Old 02-18-2024, 11:29 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love Indian food, but most of Korean food is meat. Korean barbecue. I agree that whatever I have had is greasy and deep fried.

I think it attracts American meat eaters who are fans of American barbecue seem to love Korean food. I am a fan of neither.

i do love Thai, Indian, (several kinds) Chinese (authentic regional food and some Chinese-American. I like Vietnamese food, but I have not had it very much for me to say that I love it. It was tasty, and I'd have it again.

There was a Korean vegetable broth that I had that I thought was good. However, it seems to be too meaty and greasy for me.

Not my favorite food.

I've never had anything deep fried at a Korean restaurant. I wouldn't say it's in any shape or form characteristic of that cuisine at its heart. Korean chicken wings have become popularized in America because Americans are obsessed with chicken wings of any type, but I wouldn't say that reflects Korean cuisine overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink