Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 07:35 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Around here and in Guam, my son would send me photos of ""chicken paws" which were just chicken feet. But they are always labeled as "chicken paws."
One of our local Walmart sells "chicken paws". I buy them to use when I make homemade chicken stock, and I've heard that they are used as part of a raw food diet for dogs. Our local Asian markets sell "chicken feet" at a much higher price than Walmart "chicken paws" which made me curious.

The terms are commonly used interchangably, but technically the difference is chicken paws are cut off at the ankle, while chicken feet are cut off mid-thigh.

BTW, I've enjoyed your contributions to this thread, Katherine. Really interesting and 'real life' experiences. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 07:48 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Raw sea urchin
Whale

Old 02-20-2024, 07:58 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Sounds like most of the dishes that are *authentic* is a big no here. Anything that is edible or preferred is just American versions.

I doubt most people here would eat real authentic asian food based on descriptions here. There's nothing exotic or fancy, since most asian dishes is about fresh ingredients and eating organ parts or the non muscle parts of the animal.

Raw fish is definitely first choice over cooked. Cooked tuna and salmon just doesn't compared to raw.

Raw oysters also way better than cooked.
Just a comment on this. I can only speak to Japan, since it's the only Asian country I have been to, but I have spent a total of five weeks in Japan, eating most meals at home. Meals were cooked by the mother of the family I was living with.

We ate a lot of soup with various vegetables, tofu, and occasionally small pieces of meat or chicken.

Lots of other vegetables steamed, boiled or raw.

Lots of steamed rice, fried rice, noodle soup and stir-fried noodles.

Eggs fried or made into omelets (I was offered raw egg to mix with rice at breakfast, but declined).

Meat and fish was always cooked, usually grilled with some kind of soy-based sauce brushed on. A piece of grilled fish was standard with breakfast.

We also ate various "Western" style foods, such as meatballs, sandwiches, and spaghetti.

The only time I saw raw fish or organ meats such as chicken hearts was at restaurants. Raw seafood is not home cooking, and while it's definitely very popular in Japan, it's also expensive and not what most people eat every day. I think there is a bit of a misconception of what typical or authentic Japanese food really is (i.e., not a steady diet of raw fish!) But this is not surprising, because Asians often also have the wrong idea of what Westerners eat on a daily basis, which comes from movies/TV and American or European-style restaurants. For example, we don't all tuck into a giant stack of pancakes with butter and maple syrup every morning.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:00 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Nope wouldn't touch that, or live octopus on a screwer. See video below:

Start video @ 2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYDkzqCfJzg

I enjoy calamari & fried octopus, but I'm not having that crawling in my stomach. lol
I have had grilled octopus but to see someone eating it while it was alive made me gag.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
My son in Korea went out to eat and filmed it and one of the things he tried to eat was octopus from a local market. He said that the nerves from the octopus keep moving even after death. It was disgusting. I don't think he was able to take more than one bite. That would have been one too many for me!

He also called me after eating dog meat and said well, he knew why dog breath smelled like that - because dog meat tastes like that. He has never eaten it again! Horrible! BLECH!

He also told me that many Asian people don't treat animals the way Western people tend to do. For instance, dogs. Dogs are regularly just thrown outside on a leash. I mean, I know that sometimes Western people do that too, but it's a common, not uncommon, practice in many Asian countries. My son said his wife, who is Korean, is scared to death of dogs, all dogs actually. I think that is strange.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:37 AM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My son in Korea went out to eat and filmed it and one of the things he tried to eat was octopus from a local market. He said that the nerves from the octopus keep moving even after death. It was disgusting. I don't think he was able to take more than one bite. That would have been one too many for me!

He also called me after eating dog meat and said well, he knew why dog breath smelled like that - because dog meat tastes like that. He has never eaten it again! Horrible! BLECH!

He also told me that many Asian people don't treat animals the way Western people tend to do. For instance, dogs. Dogs are regularly just thrown outside on a leash. I mean, I know that sometimes Western people do that too, but it's a common, not uncommon, practice in many Asian countries. My son said his wife, who is Korean, is scared to death of dogs, all dogs actually. I think that is strange.
Just like a detached gecko's tail will continue to wriggle.

Don't know how true is the story that dogs can sniff out a person who had eaten dog meat. More superstition perhaps.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:06 AM

778 posts, read 504,462 times
I won't eat those stinky spiky football looking things.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,417 times
I dunno. Haven't tried them all yet. So far, it's all been good, as long as there's no shrimp in it. Not allergic, just absolutely hate shrimp.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:36 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,654,173 times
I'm curious how many people on here that said they don't like Asian food have eaten it in an Asian country. I've never been to an Asian country but I have been to Mexico and know that outside of the tourist areas "Mexican" food in Mexico isn't quite like Mexican food in most of the US.

I get the feeling that much of the so called "Asian" food served in the US is much sweeter and fatter than what would be served in an Asian country.

Old 02-20-2024, 02:16 PM

1,128 posts, read 609,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I get the feeling that much of the so called "Asian" food served in the US is much sweeter and fatter than what would be served in an Asian country.
A lot of the Amercanized Chinese food is sweeter or incorporate foods in a more "Eastern friendly" packaging.

Chicken balls is oftentimes a "fav" for many Westerners to order. I guarantee no old school Chinese person orders them for themselves. They are overcooked deep fried tasteless morsels.

The good ol "sweet and sour" chicken, etc. They do have the dish in China, but it's very different.

As for the people commenting about the "cruelty" of some Asian cultures towards food animals, you have to realize that anybody who partakes in eating our common foods (that cheap delicious McChicken you had) are pretty much from our factory farmed animals.

Go ahead and watch some of the PETA vids on how awful some of those farms are. Chickens crammed in a barn where there is no moving space, they are fed so much that some chickens legs break, and diseases and injuries are commonplace.

So maybe before you speak think about what your eating habits are condoning. Ignorance is bliss but we all are supporting sufferage to a certain degree. It's just conveniently hidden. JS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink