Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 03:06 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Just like a detached gecko's tail will continue to wriggle.

Don't know how true is the story that dogs can sniff out a person who had eaten dog meat. More superstition perhaps.
Ask a dog. I wouldn't have the faintest idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 03:06 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

I enjoy calamari & fried octopus, but I'm not having that crawling in my stomach. lol
Ahh, nothing like a plate of fried tentacles !

Old 02-21-2024, 07:17 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
As for the people commenting about the "cruelty" of some Asian cultures towards food animals, you have to realize that anybody who partakes in eating our common foods (that cheap delicious McChicken you had) are pretty much from our factory farmed animals.

Go ahead and watch some of the PETA vids on how awful some of those farms are. Chickens crammed in a barn where there is no moving space, they are fed so much that some chickens legs break, and diseases and injuries are commonplace.

So maybe before you speak think about what your eating habits are condoning. Ignorance is bliss but we all are supporting sufferage to a certain degree. It's just conveniently hidden. JS.
I think there are several parts to the "cruelty" question - how the animals are raised, how they are killed and how they are served. As far as I know, Asian cultures are the only ones that serve the fish/animals while they are still alive, which I think is horrible.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
eating raw fish carries significant health risks.

and yes, i eat and cook and prepare "real authentic Asian food" and have done so since i was a teenager (Cantonese and Szechuan fare).
Eating raw is only risky to people who have weak immune systems and poor digestive system. Why can animals eat raw meat? Because they developed the digestive system through having the necessary microbiome that will help them fight off bad germs. This is why people in 1st world countries are having so much allergies and other ailments because of a compromised immune and digestive system.

If you visit 3rd world countries, they can eat things that you wouldn't because they've adapted to the bacteria infested world better than us. We just add preservatives and eat a diet too sanitary which makes our immune systems weak.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I've never had anything deep fried at a Korean restaurant. I wouldn't say it's in any shape or form characteristic of that cuisine at its heart. Korean chicken wings have become popularized in America because Americans are obsessed with chicken wings of any type, but I wouldn't say that reflects Korean cuisine overall.
Fried foods are an American thing, because traditional Korean food does not have fried chicken. Chinese and Japanese cuisines had fried food way before Korean fried chicken showed up. Korean fried chicken was popularized because they've marketed better. Prior to its popularity Koreans just made copies of American dishes with a Korean twist.

Are those Korean corndogs really another Korean thing? Of course not, it's just Korean versions of American food.

The only thing that is Korean is Kimchi and bulgogi.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:38 AM

2,045 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I think there are several parts to the "cruelty" question - how the animals are raised, how they are killed and how they are served. As far as I know, Asian cultures are the only ones that serve the fish/animals while they are still alive, which I think is horrible.
I recently read a book about early Antarctic explorers, and at one point a Norwegian ship and Japanese ship had arrived during the same time. The Norwegians were horrified at the Japanese sailors treatment of wildlife (seals, penguins, birds), which from several accounts crossed the line from hunting to torture...like, death by a thousand cuts type of slaughters.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:05 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Vietnamese pho - a watery bone broth with sliced meat and noodles. I've tried a few Vietnamese restaurants over the years and find the cuisine too meat based, or just not to my liking. Fertilized duck egg with an embryo inside is a popular street food in Vietnam & Cambodia...ugh.

Japanese incorporates seafood (both animal and plant matter) into almost everything...snacks, chips, cookies, condiments, you name it. I've seen products like this at Asian markets that I'd never buy.

And anything squirmy/wormy or snake-like...eels, sea slugs, "exotic" sea creatures.
The only pho I ever had was vegan--went with my daughter, who eats plant-based, and she ordered it for us. It was good.

On the other hand, I went to lunch with a work friend once at Chinese place in Flushing, Queens. Besides us, there was one other non-Asian in the restaurant. "Authentic", as they say.

The guy I was with goes to this restaurant once a year after he and his friend visit the grave of the friend's brother in a nearby cemetery and drink vodka "with" him. Then they go to this restaurant drunk and order something that Chinese people eat. As a result, he grew to like fried chicken feet.

So when we had lunch, that's what he ordered. I got vegetable and shrimp dim sum. He got his chicken feet, and I can still picture him picked them up, dripping with grease, and chowing down.

That is something I will never eat.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The only pho I ever had was vegan--went with my daughter, who eats plant-based, and she ordered it for us. It was good.

On the other hand, I went to lunch with a work friend once at Chinese place in Flushing, Queens. Besides us, there was one other non-Asian in the restaurant. "Authentic", as they say.

The guy I was with goes to this restaurant once a year after he and his friend visit the grave of the friend's brother in a nearby cemetery and drink vodka "with" him. Then they go to this restaurant drunk and order something that Chinese people eat. As a result, he grew to like fried chicken feet.

So when we had lunch, that's what he ordered. I got vegetable and shrimp dim sum. He got his chicken feet, and I can still picture him picked them up, dripping with grease, and chowing down.

That is something I will never eat.
If you've paid the same price for veggie pho as beef pho then you're not getting your money. Beef pho requires hours of simmering to make the beef bone broth and then the beef slices and organ parts. Veggie Pho would only have a clear veggie soup and no beef. Not worth the same price.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:00 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
I like most Asian food, but can't stand Korean food. I don't get the appeal. I've been to 5 Korean restaurants and didn't like any of them. I find it all to be too fatty, too deep fried and they way overdo it on spice(this coming from a guy who orders Indian food extra hot).

Another is Taiwanese. It's not offensively bad, I just find it bland compared to food from other Asian countries.

What about you?
What were the individual dishes that you did not like?

Old 02-22-2024, 10:17 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Raw fish/meat, nope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink