Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 06:43 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post
Seems like everyone is naming foods that are popular in the U.S. but aren't necessarily American dishes.

I can't think of any uniquely American food that I don't like at all, but one very popular thing that everyone but me seems to like is pretzels. Just dry, flavorless bread and I've never understood the appeal. Won't buy them and I would have to be starving to even eat them.
I wouldn't call them "bread" (unless you mean the street-vendor type of big pretzel), but I used to prefer pretzels over chips if I wanted a crunchy snack. They aren't fried and greasy, which is a plus.

Rarely eat them now that I am less into mindless snacking.

As far as the big pretzels go, I think the appeal is that they are hot and a medium for holding salt.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Funny how regional things are. Growing up ketchup was a child’s condiment. Sugary for little sweet tooth’s. When I was a teen I pretty much stopped using ketchup and went to spicy mustard or fry sauce or chili sauce.

And in WV chow-chow was the relish for hamburgers and hotdogs- made with peppers and you guessed it/ dried mustard, turmeric and vinegar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ketchup is frowned upon in big cities like NYC or Chicago when talking hot dogs especially and seen as ruination of a perfectly good hot dog. Personally I can't stand its cloying sweetness on an otherwise savory food item.
And yet, millions of adults eat ketchup every day. Maybe not on hot dogs, but on the rare occasion that I eat a hot dog, like every few years, I am going to have ketchup on it since I can't have mustard.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:27 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And yet, millions of adults eat ketchup every day. Maybe not on hot dogs, but on the rare occasion that I eat a hot dog, like every few years, I am going to have ketchup on it since I can't have mustard.
Ketchup at 4gr of sugar per serving, you might as well put an oreo cookie on a hamburger. Too sweet for me. And I can't stand ketchup on fries. I like to season fries with Old Bay and dip them in malt vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Ketchup at 4gr of sugar per serving, you might as well put an oreo cookie on a hamburger. Too sweet for me. And I can't stand ketchup on fries. I like to season fries with Old Bay and dip them in malt vinegar.
I like vinegar on fries, too. Don't eat them often, though.

Silly about the sugar. I am a person who limits most sugars. It's got some, yes, but 4 grams of sugar is nothing (my ketchup bottle sez 20 calories for a tablespoon) and the tomato taste is not comparable to an oreo, c'mon. It's a condiment, not a food in itself.

If you don't like ketchup on burgers, that's your choice, buy most people do. And you still haven't answered what the heck "fry sauce" is!

Old 03-05-2024, 07:24 PM

2,050 posts, read 996,765 times
M-Queen, you have Dutch family and have been to Holland, yes? Then you know what they like to have with their fries (frites). A big blob of it dumped all over.

I'll stick with pureed tomatoes!

I actually like dipping fries in BBQ sauce, for some extra spice & flavor.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:09 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like vinegar on fries, too. Don't eat them often, though.

Silly about the sugar. I am a person who limits most sugars. It's got some, yes, but 4 grams of sugar is nothing (my ketchup bottle sez 20 calories for a tablespoon) and the tomato taste is not comparable to an oreo, c'mon. It's a condiment, not a food in itself.

If you don't like ketchup on burgers, that's your choice, buy most people do. And you still haven't answered what the heck "fry sauce" is!
It’s mayo, chili sauce, sometimes paprika, horseradish, pickle juice, spicy brown mustard. It’s pretty common here with custom flair depending on eatery.

When we make Buffalo spuds at home they have blue cheese crumbles baked on and then a coating of Franks Redhot and sea salt. No ketchup. Or we use malt vinegar and sea salt.

Sorry ketchup is a kids food.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:15 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
I rarely eat ketchup these days, and I never really got to like the flavor of Heinz ketchup (which I didn't eat growing up). It seems to be more vinegar, and a lot less tomato oriented in flavor than the ketchups I grew up eating. Of course in the U.S. Heinz is ubiquitous and other than store brand knockoffs (which try to imitate the Heinz flavor) and some 'organic' options pretty much the only ketchup you can find in most stores.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
M-Queen, you have Dutch family and have been to Holland, yes? Then you know what they like to have with their fries (frites). A big blob of it dumped all over.

I'll stick with pureed tomatoes!

I actually like dipping fries in BBQ sauce, for some extra spice & flavor.
I am not having mayo with fries, no no no.

I spent a good amount of time over the last seven or so years in Canada, and so I learned to have vinegar on my "chips". They actually have chip trucks parked all over the place in summer. They sell other things, too, but if you peer in, you see a pile of potatoes that they are cutting up and frying right there in the truck, and the fries are fresh and wonderful.

I don't know why this has never caught on in New Jersey!

Old 03-07-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
It’s mayo, chili sauce, sometimes paprika, horseradish, pickle juice, spicy brown mustard. It’s pretty common here with custom flair depending on eatery.

When we make Buffalo spuds at home they have blue cheese crumbles baked on and then a coating of Franks Redhot and sea salt. No ketchup. Or we use malt vinegar and sea salt.

Sorry ketchup is a kids food.
Then I guess I'm a Medicare kid!

Old 03-07-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I rarely eat ketchup these days, and I never really got to like the flavor of Heinz ketchup (which I didn't eat growing up). It seems to be more vinegar, and a lot less tomato oriented in flavor than the ketchups I grew up eating. Of course in the U.S. Heinz is ubiquitous and other than store brand knockoffs (which try to imitate the Heinz flavor) and some 'organic' options pretty much the only ketchup you can find in most stores.
In Canada, French's ketchup seemed to be favored, and I got used to that.

Then again, I had a bf who made spaghetti with ketchup and grated cheese...that was a bit horrifying to hear for this Jersey Girl, but he had other good qualities, so I let it go.

I told my Staten Island Italian friend who gets the vapors when she learns that people eat sauce out of a JAR about his ketchup spaghetti, and she almost had a heart attack. Offered to send up her own sauce from her freezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink