Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 03:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,619,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In Canada, French's ketchup seemed to be favored, and I got used to that.

Then again, I had a bf who made spaghetti with ketchup and grated cheese...that was a bit horrifying to hear for this Jersey Girl, but he had other good qualities, so I let it go.

I told my Staten Island Italian friend who gets the vapors when she learns that people eat sauce out of a JAR about his ketchup spaghetti, and she almost had a heart attack. Offered to send up her own sauce from her freezer.
French's is popular because Heinz stopped using Canadian tomatoes in 2014. French still used Canadian tomatoes and promoted that. The backlash and loss of business has apparently made Heinz reconsider, and now in 2024 they will have gone back to using as per their website " Every bottle of Heinz Ketchup sold in Canada is produced in Mont Royal, Quebec, and by 2024, 100% of tomatoes in those bottles will be grown in Canadian soil by passionate people dedicated to growing high-quality and non-GMO tomatoes."

The people have spoken It's interesting from a marketing, brand loyalty and supporting Canadian farmers viewpoint.

Of course there are several other smaller brands of Ketchup like Primo, which joined into the fray, saying not only do they use only Canadian tomatoes, but they are a 100 percent Canadian Company, unlike French's and Heinz. Must of been winter when this started, and people were bored.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hei...chup-1.5804907

https://www.heinz.com/en-CA/sustainability#

https://globalnews.ca/news/2638704/p...ian-condiment/

As for American food that I won't eat? Mass produced breads, dairy if it has BGH, and American Cheese. By that I mean the product called American Cheese, and not all cheese made in the states, although we get very little US cheese here, and " American Cheese " is non-existent. Many confuse "American Cheese " with Kraft Singles, and they aren't quite the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 04:10 PM

17,684 posts, read 15,392,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Here in South Louisiana we have what they call cracklins, same thing only I *think* cracklins are bigger than chitlins. They are quite popular here.

Cracklin's here in SC, at least.. Would be Pork Cracklins'.. Which is deep fried pig skins. Smaller pieces. Not as big as a pork rind.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51NAWuUbqyL.jpg

Quote:
Same here. I have never figured out the appeal of tuna melts or mac n cheese with tuna added. It just sounds like a clash.

Hot tuna.. gag. And I LIKE Tuna.. But not hot.

Quote:
In Canada, French's ketchup seemed to be favored, and I got used to that.

Then again, I had a bf who made spaghetti with ketchup and grated cheese...that was a bit horrifying to hear for this Jersey Girl, but he had other good qualities, so I let it go.

I told my Staten Island Italian friend who gets the vapors when she learns that people eat sauce out of a JAR about his ketchup spaghetti, and she almost had a heart attack. Offered to send up her own sauce from her freezer.

Yeah, but they call mac and cheese "Kraft Dinner".. They're Canadians.. They barely count as people.

A few other things.. There seems to be some argument about Country Fried Steak.. This, to me, is country fried steak

https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/wp-...7-683x1024.jpg

And it's friggin' delicious. The white gravy is what makes it.

According to THIS site.. I'm incorrect and that pic is of Chicken Fried Steak, while country fried steak has the brown gravy..

https://www.masterclass.com/articles...ry-fried-steak

The whole mustard and ketchup arguments.. Lord.. A war could happen over that. I'll eat both on a burger, but.. Only if it came with it. otherwise, I wouldn't put either on a burger.

Hot dogs.. Again.. I can go with either or both.. Here in the south tho.. A hot dog is mustard, chili and onions. That's it. You WILL get the side eye putting anything else on.. With one exception.. Hot sauce. And if you've never tried a hot dog with chili with a few drops of tabasco.. you don't know what you're missing.. Tabasco on pizza, hot dogs, in chili, on fried chicken.. Can really make the taste of those 'pop' even more.

Now.. on a corn dog.. You mix the mustard and ketchup together on the plate USING the corn dog.

That being said.. Here, our BBQ sauce is mustard based.. Carolina Gold. However.. our BBQ RARELY involves beef. While I could be executed for saying this in the midwest and Texas.. I've never cared for Brisket. BBQ to me is pulled pork. Chicken breast.. Pork ribs. Here in the upstate of SC, we have the holy trinity, tho.. BBQ sauces that are ketchup based, vinegar based and mustard based.

I'll bring up another I think we've argued a bit about around here. Chicken and Waffles.. I don't get it. Not against it, but.. I don't get the combo. And people CLAIM that's a southern food.. I don't think I've ever seen chicken and waffles on a menu here in the south.

Speaking to some regarding sushi and raw fish.. Meh. I don't get it. I find they have little taste from the fish.. It comes from everything else.. And.. at the prices people charge for sushi.. I want something with more flavor if i'm paying that much!

Someone a ways back mentioned Tater Tots and them being soggy.. What? You've never had a good tater tot, then. Those should be crispy on the outside, light and fluffy inside. I love them. Better than fries, IMO.

The people with hate for watermelon.. Wow.. You exist? Ok.. umm.. Curious, if you dislike watermelon.. What are your feelings on Cantaloupe or other melons?

"Too much work for little meat".. Is about the definition of crab legs and lobster.. But.. I love me some crab legs!

someone mentioned all the 'add-ons' to tuna salad.. Anyone ever been to Chicken Salad Chick? They get a little too fancy with tossing all kinds of things into that. Grapes.. Walnuts..

Old 03-07-2024, 06:10 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,414,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Here in South Louisiana we have what they call cracklins, same thing only I *think* cracklins are bigger than chitlins. They are quite popular here.
As others have said, cracklins are deep fried pork skin...chitlins however are pork intestines.

From one recipe...how to prepare:

Select a Single Chitterling: Start by taking one chittering at a time.

Remove the Membrane: Carefully remove the inner membrane from the chitterling. This step is crucial as retaining the membrane can result in a strong odor and an undesirable taste.

Inspect for Debris: Check the chitterling thoroughly for any leftover debris.

Initial Boiling: Place the chitterlings in a pot and boil them for 15 to 20 minutes.

Check the Water: You’ll notice a film appearing on the surface of the water, which is an indication that impurities are being released.

Drain the Water: Pour off the water after boiling to remove the impurities.

Inspect Each Chitterling: Check each chitterling again, one by one.

Look for Curls: If you observe any curls on the chitterlings, pull them off. These curls are parts of the membrane.

Repeat If Necessary: Depending on the initial state of the chitterlings, you may need to repeat the boiling and checking process one more time before cooking.

Anything that needs that much effort and scrutiny is just too much trouble.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:58 PM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
French's is popular because Heinz stopped using Canadian tomatoes in 2014. French still used Canadian tomatoes and promoted that. The backlash and loss of business has apparently made Heinz reconsider, and now in 2024 they will have gone back to using as per their website " Every bottle of Heinz Ketchup sold in Canada is produced in Mont Royal, Quebec, and by 2024, 100% of tomatoes in those bottles will be grown in Canadian soil by passionate people dedicated to growing high-quality and non-GMO tomatoes."

The people have spoken It's interesting from a marketing, brand loyalty and supporting Canadian farmers viewpoint.

Of course there are several other smaller brands of Ketchup like Primo, which joined into the fray, saying not only do they use only Canadian tomatoes, but they are a 100 percent Canadian Company, unlike French's and Heinz. Must of been winter when this started, and people were bored.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hei...chup-1.5804907

https://www.heinz.com/en-CA/sustainability#

https://globalnews.ca/news/2638704/p...ian-condiment/

As for American food that I won't eat? Mass produced breads, dairy if it has BGH, and American Cheese. By that I mean the product called American Cheese, and not all cheese made in the states, although we get very little US cheese here, and " American Cheese " is non-existent. Many confuse "American Cheese " with Kraft Singles, and they aren't quite the same thing.
I didn't know about that when I was up there! I just got used to using the French's.

Canada does have good cheese. You don't need "American Cheese". Nobody needs American Cheese, lol.

I used to stop at the Ivanhoe cheese outlet store in Ontario on my way up to my happy place and stock up. Ivanhoe was part of a larger dairy conglomerate called Gay Lea that's owned by Ontario dairy farmers. It felt closer to the source because I'd drive past so many dairy farms on my way.

They always had fresh cheese curds for sale on the counter, too, the ones that squeak in your teeth. When they had the garlic ones, I was especially happy. Good car snack.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,619,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Cracklin's here in SC, at least.. Would be Pork Cracklins'.. Which is deep fried pig skins. Smaller pieces. Not as big as a pork rind.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51NAWuUbqyL.jpg

Hot tuna.. gag. And I LIKE Tuna.. But not hot.

Yeah, but they call mac and cheese "Kraft Dinner".. They're Canadians.. They barely count as people.

A few other things.. There seems to be some argument about Country Fried Steak.. This, to me, is country fried steak

https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/wp-...7-683x1024.jpg

And it's friggin' delicious. The white gravy is what makes it.

According to THIS site.. I'm incorrect and that pic is of Chicken Fried Steak, while country fried steak has the brown gravy..

https://www.masterclass.com/articles...ry-fried-steak

The whole mustard and ketchup arguments.. Lord.. A war could happen over that. I'll eat both on a burger, but.. Only if it came with it. otherwise, I wouldn't put either on a burger.

Hot dogs.. Again.. I can go with either or both.. Here in the south tho.. A hot dog is mustard, chili and onions. That's it. You WILL get the side eye putting anything else on.. With one exception.. Hot sauce. And if you've never tried a hot dog with chili with a few drops of tabasco.. you don't know what you're missing.. Tabasco on pizza, hot dogs, in chili, on fried chicken.. Can really make the taste of those 'pop' even more.

Now.. on a corn dog.. You mix the mustard and ketchup together on the plate USING the corn dog.

That being said.. Here, our BBQ sauce is mustard based.. Carolina Gold. However.. our BBQ RARELY involves beef. While I could be executed for saying this in the midwest and Texas.. I've never cared for Brisket. BBQ to me is pulled pork. Chicken breast.. Pork ribs. Here in the upstate of SC, we have the holy trinity, tho.. BBQ sauces that are ketchup based, vinegar based and mustard based.

I'll bring up another I think we've argued a bit about around here. Chicken and Waffles.. I don't get it. Not against it, but.. I don't get the combo. And people CLAIM that's a southern food.. I don't think I've ever seen chicken and waffles on a menu here in the south.

Speaking to some regarding sushi and raw fish.. Meh. I don't get it. I find they have little taste from the fish.. It comes from everything else.. And.. at the prices people charge for sushi.. I want something with more flavor if i'm paying that much!

Someone a ways back mentioned Tater Tots and them being soggy.. What? You've never had a good tater tot, then. Those should be crispy on the outside, light and fluffy inside. I love them. Better than fries, IMO.

The people with hate for watermelon.. Wow.. You exist? Ok.. umm.. Curious, if you dislike watermelon.. What are your feelings on Cantaloupe or other melons?

"Too much work for little meat".. Is about the definition of crab legs and lobster.. But.. I love me some crab legs!

someone mentioned all the 'add-ons' to tuna salad.. Anyone ever been to Chicken Salad Chick? They get a little too fancy with tossing all kinds of things into that. Grapes.. Walnuts..
Ha, ha, but no.

We call Macaroni and Cheese, exactly that, or Mac and Cheese. Kraft Dinner is specifically referring to Kraft's Mac and Cheese, but no other.

The more you know.

Old 03-08-2024, 08:45 AM

17,684 posts, read 15,392,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ha, ha, but no.

We call Macaroni and Cheese, exactly that, or Mac and Cheese. Kraft Dinner is specifically referring to Kraft's Mac and Cheese, but no other.

The more you know.

I know that, but that isn't as funny, is it?

just be glad i'm not bringing up the "fact" that 99.95% of the Canadian population lives within 10 feet of the American border.

I know you're massing for the attack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink