Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 12:10 PM

8,097 posts, read 10,701,334 times

Advertisements

I love all things potato - except tator tots, popular with many Americans.

Ultra processed potato pieces with little to no potato flavor left, soggy, inside of an equally processed and tasteless shell. Ugh.

Speaking of potatoes, I also have lost my taste for all these "flavored" potato chips. Just give me good quality, plain, crunchy kettle chips, or homemade potato chips, sprinkled with just a little sea salt or kosher salt. If I want another "flavor", I'' prepare a nice dip of some kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 12:21 PM

22,808 posts, read 19,411,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I love all things potato - except tator tots, popular with many Americans.

Ultra processed potato pieces with little to no potato flavor left, soggy, inside of an equally processed and tasteless shell. Ugh.

Speaking of potatoes, I also have lost my taste for all these "flavored" potato chips. Just give me good quality, plain, crunchy kettle chips, or homemade potato chips, sprinkled with just a little sea salt or kosher salt. If I want another "flavor", I'' prepare a nice dip of some kind.
i love potatoes also. but have let the chips go. these days i just roast potato chunks (russets cut in 1" cubes, skin on) in my oven and toss after roasting with roasted garlic in (fake) butter. yummy. i can eat bowls of those. and sweet potatoes. plain old sweet potatoes, nothing on them because they are so delicious without anything.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:34 PM

19,940 posts, read 22,881,378 times
Can’t stand classic roast beef with vegetables mixed in.

Can’t stand most casseroles. I HATE TUNA CASSEROLES WITH PEAS.

I can’t stand almost all cheap buffet food no matter what’s brought out.

I pretty much hate any concoction with cream of whatever soup in them.

Old 02-25-2024, 04:33 PM

7,159 posts, read 12,735,673 times
I've become much more careful what I eat these days...have stopped eating white bread and most white flour products. Sad. Last time I ate pizza I turned into a methane-producing machine..putt-putt-putt down the street. Embarassing Was it the gluten?

Don't eat any fried foods--they don't agree with my GI tract, either.

Little sugar except for a teaspoon in my morning coffee and one square of dark chocolate/day.

Have greatly increased my fruit, vegetable, nuts, and seed eating. Some days I feel like a squirrel!

Little red meat, more fish, white meat chicken, tofu, beans.

So many popular American foods are off my plate. Pizza, hamburgers, French fries, onion rings, ice cream. Oh well, live & learn.

Trying to eat to live instead of living to eat. Eating more carefully has helped ease the pain (arthritis) in my hip & knee and has lowered my HBP and cholesterol.

Old 02-25-2024, 04:43 PM

88,894 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Hamburgers that have ketchup and mustard on it. Ketchup is for Burgers and mustard for hot dogs. Don't care for Combo together on a burger. Also peanut butter on a burger sounds kind of off to me and I haven't tried it but plan to one day to see what all the hype is. Bacon Jam too sweet for me. My mom got us a jar at Christmas and I am not a fan even though I love bacon. I was hoping it would be more savory.
So true! I was down in North Carolina years ago when I was young and ordered a burger and there was mustard on it. First of all--SO GROSS, does NOT go on a burger, and secondly, mustard doesn't set with me. Makes me feel sick to my stomach (when I was a kid I couldn't eat hot dogs because I threw up when I ate them. As an adult, I realized it wasn't the hot dogs, it was the mustard.)

I actually thought that they had done it on purpose to be nasty because they heard our NJ accents and didn't like us because we were northerners, but I didn't say anything because I was afraid of what else they might do, just scraped it off with a napkin. Later I found out that it's normal to put mustard on burgers down there.

Also some places put mayonnaise on your burger without asking, which is disgusting. Mayonnaise doesn't go on hot food, especially meat!

Old 02-25-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I absolutely cannot stand watermelon anything. The real deal, scents, flavors, you name it. Gag.
And I love watermelon. Could sit down and eat a whole one by myself, I bet.

Old 02-25-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sushi. I bought fresh cod from Publix and there was a living worm in it. Since then, I’m never eating raw fish.

I looove pea soup.
Cod's known for that.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:36 PM

12,687 posts, read 9,867,472 times
Traditional American taste is pretty basic, and I have pretty broad taste, so I can't think of much that's actually popular and of American origin or embraced by the nation, that I can't deal with...

- Blue cheese is embraced by Americans anyway... and I can eat it, but not a fan
- Chicken wings... I can eat them, but not a fan

That's about all I can come up with, and even those aren't out of the question, just not something I will choose

Old 02-25-2024, 08:20 PM

19,940 posts, read 22,881,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So true! I was down in North Carolina years ago when I was young and ordered a burger and there was mustard on it. First of all--SO GROSS, does NOT go on a burger, and secondly, mustard doesn't set with me. Makes me feel sick to my stomach (when I was a kid I couldn't eat hot dogs because I threw up when I ate them. As an adult, I realized it wasn't the hot dogs, it was the mustard.)

I actually thought that they had done it on purpose to be nasty because they heard our NJ accents and didn't like us because we were northerners, but I didn't say anything because I was afraid of what else they might do, just scraped it off with a napkin. Later I found out that it's normal to put mustard on burgers down there.

Also some places put mayonnaise on your burger without asking, which is disgusting. Mayonnaise doesn't go on hot food, especially meat!
Funny how regional things are. Growing up ketchup was a child’s condiment. Sugary for little sweet tooth’s. When I was a teen I pretty much stopped using ketchup and went to spicy mustard or fry sauce or chili sauce.

And in WV chow-chow was the relish for hamburgers and hotdogs- made with peppers and you guessed it/ dried mustard, turmeric and vinegar.

Old 02-25-2024, 08:37 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,241,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Fasting is quite effective in terms of losing weight, although it's best to ease in to it.

It sounds like you live quite a healthy life already and have good diet, including superfoods such as blueberries etc.

Just stick with what you are doing and perhaps look in to fasting, in terms of the next stage in weight loss.

I just fast all the time, and it's just part of the permanent way I choose to live rather than a diet.

I also don't drink alcohol, as a lot of alcohol is not only bad for you but also full of sugary carbs.

I wish you all the best.

Yes, I don’t drink alcohol or soft drinks . Going to look into fasting a bit more. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink