Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 05:49 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times

Advertisements

Biscuits and gravy. I don’t really care for any sort of gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 07:37 AM

6,815 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't eat wings at restaurants or wings which are covered with sauce. I buy a rotisserie or very occasionally a fried chicken for my family and I have never known a chicken to have more than two wings. So I eat two. I would explode if I ate 10 chicken wings at once.

As usual, whether a given food is "healthy" or "unhealthy" depends largely on how it is prepared and how much of it you eat. And as far as that goes, I don't consider dark meat inherently unhealthier than white meat; it actually contains more nutrients.

Eating the wings off a rotisserie chicken or roast chicken is not exactly what people mean when they say they're having chicken wings as a dish. They mean a bunch of wings that you either get at a place like Buffalo Wild Wings or Wing Stop or the 'home' alternative of buying a bag of them at the store.

It'd be pretty wasteful in any event to buy a rotisserie chicken and throw it all out except for the wings (which were tiny and had barely any meat on them on pretty much any rotisserie chicken I've ever purchased fwiw).

Old 02-26-2024, 08:33 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,729,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Eating the wings off a rotisserie chicken or roast chicken is not exactly what people mean when they say they're having chicken wings as a dish. They mean a bunch of wings that you either get at a place like Buffalo Wild Wings or Wing Stop or the 'home' alternative of buying a bag of them at the store.

It'd be pretty wasteful in any event to buy a rotisserie chicken and throw it all out except for the wings (which were tiny and had barely any meat on them on pretty much any rotisserie chicken I've ever purchased fwiw).
This may be, but I was responding to the attitude that wings are terrible because they are too much work for too little meat. I think they are fun to eat, and it's enough meat for me.

The "big pile of wings at a dedicated wing restaurant" is a pretty recent phenomenon.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:34 AM

17,606 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Liver and onions - Its smells GREAT, but the flavor and consistency of liver is just YUCK!!

Any freshwater fish - Catfish, trout, etc. Maybe Im spoiled from being right on the Pacific Ocean and growing up with sea bass, halibut, salmon, sushi, etc. but I have never ever liked the taste of any freshwater fish.

Game meat - This seems to be super popular American food in hunting states but I just cant eat it. Deer, elk, squirrel, rabbit, etc. Totally cant eat it. But a mixed beef/bison burger is pretty good. I can eat that.

Chitterlings - Popular Southern American food. You cant pay me to eat that junk.

Funnel Cake - Looks like it should be delicious but tastes absolutely nothing like it looks. Even with lots of strawberry and powdered sugar its blech taste cannot be saved.

Red Velvet Cake - Like funnel cake above, it looks much better than it tastes. Flavor is ugh and seems like its made without any sugar at all.

Sweet Tea - Tastes like sugar water with a slight hint of tea. I'll take sweetened green tea every time over this junk.

Pea Soup - just nasty. No other explanation is needed.

Kettle Chips and Kettle Corn - Its like somebody said "Lets take regular potato chips and popcorn and give them a Rockwell Hardness rating of steel. Oh, and lets add sugar to the popcorn!"

Cornish Hen - Its basically chicken, but mentally, I just cant eat it because it looks like Im eating pigeon or a sparrow.

Any and everything Coffee FLAVORED - I LOVE coffee but absolutely hate everything I've ever tried that was "coffee flavored".

I was going to add Duck to this list because I have never in my life tasted any American duck dish or American cooked duck that didnt make me want to puke. But for some reason, the duck they prepare in the Chinese restaurants that have the cooked duck hanging by their necks tastes really really good. Probably because they chop it up, place in on a bed of rice and give it really really good seasoning.

I could seriously live off of "infinite shelf life" Hostess Twinkies and Hostess Ding Dongs. Yum!!

With you on Liver. I can't really do any organ meat.

That being said.. I take exception that Chitterlings (Chit'lins) is a popular southern dish.. no.. It's not.

It STARTED here, I believe, but it's not popular. At all.

Game meat, however.. Is quite popular here. We even have a local restaurant that serves Venison, Elk, Emu, Alligator and so on local to me. it's quite good.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And I love watermelon. Could sit down and eat a whole one by myself, I bet.

BLECH! You can have it, and mine too.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:40 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
With you on Liver. I can't really do any organ meat.

That being said.. I take exception that Chitterlings (Chit'lins) is a popular southern dish.. no.. It's not.

It STARTED here, I believe, but it's not popular. At all.

Game meat, however.. Is quite popular here. We even have a local restaurant that serves Venison, Elk, Emu, Alligator and so on local to me. it's quite good.
Here in South Louisiana we have what they call cracklins, same thing only I *think* cracklins are bigger than chitlins. They are quite popular here.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 13,719,426 times
I have one idiosyncratic eating habit...

Of everything I don't like. Hominy is at the top of the list. Can't even stand the smell of hominy. Makes me shudder.

Yet, I like grits... which are made from hominy.

Very few other things I can't or won't eat.

Do not like Sweet Potatoes or Yams.

Do not like three bean salad.

Do not like sweet tea.

Do not like pecan pie.

Do not like Panera Bread sandwiches or any "foofy" type of sandwich. In other words leave the grapes, nuts and sprouts out of my tuna sandwich.

And speaking of nuts... I like nuts... but for the most part do not like nuts IN other things... like ice cream or salad.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:07 PM

19,801 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I have one idiosyncratic eating habit...

Of everything I don't like. Hominy is at the top of the list. Can't even stand the smell of hominy. Makes me shudder.

Yet, I like grits... which are made from hominy.

Very few other things I can't or won't eat.

Do not like Sweet Potatoes or Yams.

Do not like three bean salad.

Do not like sweet tea.

Do not like pecan pie.

Do not like Panera Bread sandwiches or any "foofy" type of sandwich. In other words leave the grapes, nuts and sprouts out of my tuna sandwich.

And speaking of nuts... I like nuts... but for the most part do not like nuts IN other things... like ice cream or salad.
There are several types of grits, some are made with hominy. Hominy is corn soaked in lye or lime to remove the hull. They can make hominy grits with the dried result. Almost always pasty white.

Stone ground grits are usually the whole kernel dried and ground. White or yellow. Definitely not hominy. A little more nutritious since you get the hull.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-26-2024 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-26-2024, 01:53 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,107,848 times
Quote:
Country fried steak. Batter-frying steak is weird and the thick white gravy is kind of nasty. That stuff also eliminates:
Biscuits and gravy.
You CAN'T be a Texan/a Southerner!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2024, 04:55 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Quote:
This may be, but I was responding to the attitude that wings are terrible because they are too much work for too little meat. I think they are fun to eat, and it's enough meat for me.

The "big pile of wings at a dedicated wing restaurant" is a pretty recent phenomenon.
If some people think it's too much work for little meat, they shouldn't be eating those meats. Should just go enjoy something easy like pork butt or pastrami instead. In world cuisines, the more delicate and intricate food or ingredients come from some of the most difficult to extract ingredients or animals.

Oxtail, Bone marrow are pretty difficult to extract. Real truffles are extremely difficult to find and expensive to eat large quantities of. Cavier is another very difficult to extract and expensive to eat.

Same goes for oysters and most shell fish.

Japanese don't always eat tuna and salmon. They eat fish that are often extremely difficult to enjoy like the conger eel, puffer fish, many varieties of small fish that are very scaley and boney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink