Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 05:20 PM

14,314 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
You CAN'T be a Texan/a Southerner!!!!!!!!!!!
Nooooope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 05:35 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Nooooope.
It's just Wienerschnitzel with a tough cut of beef instead of veal. And a crappy white gravy.

Now real Wienerschnitzel with a little lemon and a jaeger sauce? Mucho better.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:10 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So true! I was down in North Carolina years ago when I was young and ordered a burger and there was mustard on it. First of all--SO GROSS, does NOT go on a burger, and secondly, mustard doesn't set with me. Makes me feel sick to my stomach (when I was a kid I couldn't eat hot dogs because I threw up when I ate them. As an adult, I realized it wasn't the hot dogs, it was the mustard.)

I actually thought that they had done it on purpose to be nasty because they heard our NJ accents and didn't like us because we were northerners, but I didn't say anything because I was afraid of what else they might do, just scraped it off with a napkin. Later I found out that it's normal to put mustard on burgers down there.

Also some places put mayonnaise on your burger without asking, which is disgusting. Mayonnaise doesn't go on hot food, especially meat!
Mustard on a burger probably had more to do with the restaurant or town rather than the state. I lived there for nine years and never experienced that horror. I don't even want to think about the smell of mustard on hot beef.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:36 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Mayo.

Or anything with mayo. Yuck. I will gag and most likely throw up.

Avocado likewise, although I don’t think of that as a strictly American food. Why does anything labeled “California” at a restaurant always have avocado??

Steak. Well, meat. If it’s an ingredient in something else, like a beef stroganoff, or a burrito, fine. But I just don’t like a slab of meat on a plate with sides. It’s just not my thing.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:06 PM

986 posts, read 530,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I will list items that I don't like..

Boneless chicken wings - Basically chicken nuggets shaped as wings
Chicken Breast - The absolutely most bland part of the chicken
Popcorn shrimp - Really? It looks and taste nothing like shrimp or where is the shrimp?
Tuna sandwich - Quite possibly the worst seafood dish ever created, taste more like chicken than tuna.
Bologna cheese sandwich - They serve that to kids and immates at prisons. The worst kind of mystery meat.
Fried fish fillet with cheese stuffed - Another really bad combo.
Turkey with gravy, Thanksgiving - Traditional but the most bland and boring dish. Rather have a smoked turkey leg.
Pea soup - I love peas but crushed into a soup, taste worst than celery soup.
Avocado Toast - Quite possibly the most overrated Millennial and Gen Z dish. Avocado taste better straight or as a dip than eaten with bread. Because it doesn't melt like butter and it has contrasting taste and texture. That is why you never see people eat avocado and bagel.
That's just the beginning of my list. I can eat it of course, and if I'm desperately hungry enough I'll eat it, but thank God I haven't been that hungry in a long time.

I think everyone has their own ideas on what constitutes American food. Growing up on the Gulf Coast and having lived in New Orleans, our idea of American food was mostly the Cajun/Creole/Soul Food ideas of American food, which wasn't American at all. It was all local. I never, ever saw anything in New Orleans that was even vaguely American.

Old 03-01-2024, 03:08 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Liver and onions - Its smells GREAT, but the flavor and consistency of liver is just YUCK!!

Any freshwater fish - Catfish, trout, etc. Maybe Im spoiled from being right on the Pacific Ocean and growing up with sea bass, halibut, salmon, sushi, etc. but I have never ever liked the taste of any freshwater fish.

Game meat - This seems to be super popular American food in hunting states but I just cant eat it. Deer, elk, squirrel, rabbit, etc. Totally cant eat it. But a mixed beef/bison burger is pretty good. I can eat that.

Chitterlings - Popular Southern American food. You cant pay me to eat that junk.

Funnel Cake - Looks like it should be delicious but tastes absolutely nothing like it looks. Even with lots of strawberry and powdered sugar its blech taste cannot be saved.

Red Velvet Cake - Like funnel cake above, it looks much better than it tastes. Flavor is ugh and seems like its made without any sugar at all.

Sweet Tea - Tastes like sugar water with a slight hint of tea. I'll take sweetened green tea every time over this junk.

Pea Soup - just nasty. No other explanation is needed.

Kettle Chips and Kettle Corn - Its like somebody said "Lets take regular potato chips and popcorn and give them a Rockwell Hardness rating of steel. Oh, and lets add sugar to the popcorn!"

Cornish Hen - Its basically chicken, but mentally, I just cant eat it because it looks like Im eating pigeon or a sparrow.

Any and everything Coffee FLAVORED - I LOVE coffee but absolutely hate everything I've ever tried that was "coffee flavored".

I was going to add Duck to this list because I have never in my life tasted any American duck dish or American cooked duck that didnt make me want to puke. But for some reason, the duck they prepare in the Chinese restaurants that have the cooked duck hanging by their necks tastes really really good. Probably because they chop it up, place in on a bed of rice and give it really really good seasoning.
I forgot to add:

Tuna casserole - Tuna only tastes good on sushi/sashimi or from one of those flavored packs.

Sardines - Used to like them on Saltine crackers as a kid, but as an adult, they make me want to have reverse peristalsis.

Sunny side up eggs - Seems like almost every add for anything breakfast related has pics/vids of eggs prepped this way. I dont know of anyone who eats eggs like this. Dont like runny yokes.

Root beer floats - Yuck. Its amazing how two things (root beer soda and vanilla ice cream) that are individually delicious, yet when you combine them they tastes horrible.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:54 PM

24,562 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's just Wienerschnitzel with a tough cut of beef instead of veal. And a crappy white gravy.

Now real Wienerschnitzel with a little lemon and a jaeger sauce? Mucho better.
I am calling this sacrilege! Veal, pounded thin, breaded thin, fried in butter, served with butter still bubbling and a lemon wedge!
Your Jaeger Schnitzel is not breaded and served with mushroom gravy. Often mushrooms and gravy.

Old 03-01-2024, 03:01 PM

24,562 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I can eat almost everything when the situation requires it. Even the infamous Green Bean Casserolle with canned soup. Enjoy eating is a different situation.
I have to admit I cannot deal with steak no matter what kind. I love the smell. I love to watch SO dive into it. A bite of meat gets bigger and bigger when I chew on it.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:44 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I have one idiosyncratic eating habit...

Of everything I don't like. Hominy is at the top of the list. Can't even stand the smell of hominy. Makes me shudder.

Yet, I like grits... which are made from hominy.

Very few other things I can't or won't eat.

Do not like Sweet Potatoes or Yams.

Do not like three bean salad.

Do not like sweet tea.

Do not like pecan pie.

Do not like Panera Bread sandwiches or any "foofy" type of sandwich. In other words leave the grapes, nuts and sprouts out of my tuna sandwich.

And speaking of nuts... I like nuts... but for the most part do not like nuts IN other things... like ice cream or salad.
And leave the damn dill out of tuna sandwiches, too! I picked one up once while traveling through Virginia, and when I bit into it, I was immediately WTF did they DO to this sandwich? I thought it was bad tuna. Then I realized it was dill, which I do like in things that go well with dill, but tuna is NOT one of them.

I mentioned to a friend who moved to Virginia years ago. She laughed and said, "Oh yeah, they do that down here."

Old 03-01-2024, 08:52 PM

2,069 posts, read 1,010,702 times
So many regional specialties that are considered "popular" in America. Some I have never heard of or wouldn't consider popular at all (split pea soup?).

Anyone who has visited or lives in New Mexico has encountered the question "red or green?" at a restaurant. It refers to red or green chile sauce on your dish, and you can order "Christmas" if you want both. People that choose no sauce because it's "too spicy" will probably get laughed at. It's all about chile in New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink