Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 07:47 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

No. Pretty sure my mother based meals on what was on sale that week.

Didn't eat school lunches, either. My mom made us brown-bag lunches. That was always a sandwich of some sort, a dessert like cookies or cake, and an apple.

Old 03-03-2024, 04:54 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Predictability can become boring, so even if Wednesday was pasta night ..
We didn’t know what pasta or sauce it would be

I cook most meals and mix it up .. so it’s hopefully
A pleasant surprise

When younger and more frugal ( trying to save money for a car or house)
I ate on the cheap… could’ve been a bowl of cereal or French toast or burgers…or ramen noodles
Still tried to mix it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 09:43 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
No, I've never been on a predictable meal schedule like that. My mom was a good cook so we got a lot of variety. Much depended on what good deals they found at the grocery store that week.

The closest thing to predictable that we ever got was when Friday night became a designated pizza delivery night. By then, my older siblings had left the nest so the cost of pizza delivery was within reason.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:38 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
No we didn't have a schedule like that (eating same thing on certain days of week), but on weekend days, we tended to eat different breakfast foods than from M-F. My family had more time on the weekends NOT having to go to school/work, so my parents cooked things such as tater tots/fries & hot dogs/meatless sasauges/patties.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,962 times
I eat the same thing every night of the week...because I cook on Sundays and then eat leftovers every weekday night. Each week it's a different meal, but for a full week I eat the same thing. Sounds boring, but I'm not a foodie. It's either prep leftovers or eat takeout/frozen. Homemade leftovers are so much more satisfying than having to pay all the delivery fees, or consume unhealthy frozen meals.

But I do know people who grew up eating the same meal every night. It's because their SAH mothers shopped the specials--knew what the butcher had on sale every day and that's what they bought, and that's what they ate. Fish on fridays of course. Pot roast on Sundays. And so forth.

Not much reason, it would seem to me, to stay on that kind of schedule any more. Stores don't have regular specials on meat every day of the week, and most people don't shop every single day. At least not in the US.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:04 PM

8,751 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Nope...Mom didn`t know what meals we were having for the week until the sales and coupons came out. I like the idea of the same meals, on every day of the week. I am tired of saying....what to make for dinner.. It will never works though...I shop sales too.
It brings back memories of the days of double and triple coupons. It was fun going through newspapers and magazines to see how much we could save, and even get for free.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:49 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
It brings back memories of the days of double and triple coupons. It was fun going through newspapers and magazines to see how much we could save, and even get for free.
Wow! I forgot all about that. In my early days as a single parent I was a coupon clipper, and even had a little alphabetized pouch to organize all my coupons in. Money was so tight I would go home and analyze my receipt to make sure all the coupon discounts had been applied. This was back in the 90s when grocery stores would print booklets full of coupons, either weekly or monthly. Growing up, my mother always clipped coupons and only bought things if they were on sale.

That ended when stores started with the "club cards" and having two tiers of pricing on shelf tags, one for "rewards members" and one for everyone else. My local Safeway still does that and that's why I won't shop there.

Old 03-03-2024, 04:42 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,916 times
Kroger is always sending me free money in the mail in the form of coupons, the best of which is $18 off a grocery order at least $180. I can easily get $260 worth of groceries for around $200. Store coupons shape a lot of my menu choices, especially when combined with promotions and reduced-for-quick-sale items.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:17 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
We didn't really have a schedule, except no meat on Friday. I always thought it was because we were Catholic but looking back on it there were several days in the week we didn't eat meat. We were poor so we got a lot of soup, back then they were about 10 cents a can.

In school we brown bagged peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and brownies. Milk was 3 cents and chocolate milk was a nickel. A lot of times I had to resort to drastic measures to get the chocolate milk. When we had square dancing in the auditorium for PE, the janitor didn't want his waxed floor scuffed up so all the kids who didn't have tennis shoes had to dance in their socks and pile all their shoes in the corner.

I would wander over there looking for the penny loafers (they were popular back then) and pluck out all the coins. Some kids kept nickels and quarters tucked in their shoes. On a good day I was able to buy a couple chocolate milks and a soda and candy bar after school.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:43 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,132,127 times
I do make up a menu for the week. I generally cook a couple of larger meals, then plot out the leftovers over the next 3 or 4 nights, alternating chicken with beef. Hubs is picky so I am limited, and his tastes suddenly change, which is seriously annoying (what do you mean you've "gone off" pork???). LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink