Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 12:57 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

I rarely eat chocolate due to GERD and it gives me heart flutters, but occasionally I will indulge in a small box of hand-made truffles from the small local candy and cake shop. They have amazing flavors with lovely chocolate coverings. Their Easter eggs are yummy too. Thank heavens it's a bit of a drive there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 04:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
When I was a kid I loved the chocolate easter bunnies. The big ones in the greenish pink flowery box with a window and the bunny standing up. Had a hard frosting writing style nose, etc. and a little bow glued on. Kind of a waxy chocolate.

Those were awesome!
Me, too! That WAS Easter, along with jelly beans, malted milk "robin" eggs, and the larger colored marshmallow eggs on green "grass" in our childhood baskets (reused annually). Not sure when it became yet another occasion to buy a plethora of expensive gifts, but the candy was good enough for us!

Old 03-26-2024, 05:20 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Do you still get the Cadbury eggs that look like they have yolks inside?

I used to love them and now i don't like them. Just wondering if it's me lol
I find them INCREDIBLY cloyingly sweet. They may even be using corn syrup now instead of cane sugar.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:27 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
There are many good brands of candy, but I am very picky about chocolate.

My favorite types of chocolate are truffles, and chocolate with hazelnuts (Ferer Rochet -sp?- are good commercial hazel nut candy - but I am sure there are better) and I prefer dark chocolate.

Most European brands are quite good. Near where I live there is Gorant of Warren, https://gorant.com/collections/chocolates and many other small, local chocolatiers.

Here are a few - https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/candy-shops-in-oh/

Last edited by sheena12; 03-26-2024 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-26-2024, 05:29 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Mary Sees "Sees Candy". Favorite available. High quality.

I am sure there is better. I had Toblerone but not recently enough to compare to Sees. I had some other Swiss chocolate while in Switzerland. I didn't get the name.

Cadbury used to be really good.

I can't remember if I have ever had Lindt.

When I was in San Francisco, Ghirardelli was very good.

And then there is Kilwins in all of the touristy areas. Awful good chocolate.

I mean, how do compare them in a taste test and pick a fave? Great is great. I would have to do some kind of blind test adminstered so I didn't know what I was tasting, and then maybe I still wouldn't have a favorite among several great choices.

I guess "Sees" if my favorite, but who knows? Too many great choices above the level of the Hersey Bar.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I like Lindt, Russell Stover and the Godiva my son and DIL send me.
I can't stand Russell Stover. No offense intended. I just don't like them. I never got the hype.

Of course, it is all personal preference so I am sure htey are somebody's fave but they don't work for me.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Do you still get the Cadbury eggs that look like they have yolks inside?

I used to love them and now i don't like them. Just wondering if it's me lol
They do make you pucker, they are so sweet.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:48 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
They do make you pucker, they are so sweet.
I agree with both of you. Once I loved the Cadburry cream eggs. Now they are sickeningly sweet.

THEY changed. I did not.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:31 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,345,213 times
I was wondering if anyone would mention Godiva. I used to LOVE Godiva.

Then something happened. Don't know if it was me or then. I wouldn't throw the chocolate away if i had some, but i don't purchase it anymore.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone would mention Godiva. I used to LOVE Godiva.

Then something happened. Don't know if it was me or then. I wouldn't throw the chocolate away if i had some, but i don't purchase it anymore.
A lot of really good has reduced in quality over time. Corporations cut costs and up profits. They can only pass so much along to the customer. Either they get greedy and want higher profits, or inflation forces them to cut quality with cheaper ingredients.

Some can get away with charging lofty prices. It is always a shock when you retry something you haven't had for a while and "it is just not the same".

Not a chocolate, but I distinctly remember that Doritos corn chips used to have a wonderful texture to the crunch. As if overnight and many years ago, they cheapened the ingredients and they were not nearly as delicious or enjoyable. Never to return.

It happens. Great stuff is dumbed down all the time. Sucks.

I feel old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink