Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,346,342 times

Advertisements

If I remember my chem correctly if you drop a piece of pure magnesium into a bucket of water you can start a fire. See like there is a chem reaction between mag and Ox an the Hydrogen gets loose. Maybe a chem major would enlighten us here?

Ah the memory kicked in a little. It was sodium that releases hydrogen and can really make a mess. Do an internet search on magnesium fires and a lot of info will come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,311,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzedoff View Post
I am some kinda mad, We live in Wetaskwin Alberta Canada and My Perfect Flame BBq just burst into flames!!! no not a grease fire,! the Fnking metal caught fire!! it flared white and started to spit molten metal chunks all around my deck,!! now i couldn't put the Beotch out with water no matter how much i doused it, we eventually resorted to a CO2 extingusher we keep in the garage. The powder ones didn't work either!!, Now a quik call to my Uncle (a Scrap metal Guy) says its most likely Magnisium a metal that burns bright white and burns under water. BEWARE this Beitch will burn everything around including you and your house!!!! we had it at 350 degrees F and poof, only 3 months old too!
PERFECT FLAME BBQ's CATCH FIRE!!!!
Wow so it just wasn't mine, you should see my patio, the cement has chucks out of it where the metal dripped on it.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,468 times
Default Consumer blogger looking for folks who have had fire incidents with Perfect Flame gas grills

Hello All. I am a product safety blogger and I am looking into the fire problem with Perfect Flame gas grills. If you have had such a problem, I would appreciate you getting in touch with me at [EMAIL="willbo@consumer.org"]willbo@consumer.org[/EMAIL].

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,311,502 times
Lowe's has posted a recall for the BBQ and it was on our local news today 175 cases reported, metal melting and catching on fire. 25 cases of minor damage.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:50 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,016,386 times
Why does everyone call these grills barbeques ? They are grills, a true barbecues is a smoker ! Look at labels and don't buy crap from China. These grills must be cast Aluminum that has been mixed with magnesium. The stupid dorks in the Chinese factories are probably using recycled aluminum wheels and a few "mags" must have gotten mixed in. I cant see how a steel grill can do this. The paint if they are painted wouldn't make the metal melt down and catch fire like that. To the folks whose fences or decks were burned, please don't make a claim on your insurance, it'll make your premiums go up. Threaten Lowes with a small claims suit and make them replace your deck or fence. If they have already recalled them they won't fight you very hard. Don't be afraid to scream at the manager right there in the store.
Be a squeaky wheel and get your grease !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink