Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone to the effort of cutting sugar and refined carbs out of your life and if you did, have you noticed any good effect on your mood and energy?

I was tired and irritable today and as I was snapping at my misbehaving young children, I wondered if a dietary change would be useful. I've got a lot going on in my career and family life right now and I need all the stamina and energy I can get.

I'm already exercising so I've got that part covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,820 times
I don't know what the liquid part of your diet is like but I was a serious soda and tea drinker. I cut out soda and tea (sweet tea which here in S.C. is thick enough to eat with a spoon) completely for one week then went to a moderate intake of one serving a day and a little extra on Saturday(snack night) The first week was tough and jittery but week two was great and I noticed more energy for the long haul(less up and down energy spikes) it has been good. It was easy to keep going after that. Alot more water has made the whole system feel better. I don't know if it'll help but there it is.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
When I cut out most of that from my diet, I lost 20 pounds. That alone lifted my mood and gave me more energy.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:25 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
SUGAR IS AN ESSENTIAL FOR LIFE!
SUGAR IS AT LEAST TWO OF THE FOUR FOOD GROUPS, RIGHT?
HOW COULD ANYONE WANT TO WALK AWAY FROM SUGAR?
AM I TALKING TOO LOUDLY???

Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
i am telling you--if i dont get some form of chocolate each and every day--people better run. chocolate is the reason i am the wonerful person i am --

Old 06-09-2008, 06:04 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
I don't get a sugar spike, a caffine spike or a anything spike anymore! I'm waiting for that wonder drug (legal) to get that spike again! Good you do exercise as I do notice some energy from that---not enough but some! Ha! As for moods---always remember--we are what we eat! I personally believe that includes our mental state as well as physical.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
I'm all for adjusting your diet by paying attention to what your body tells you (by how healthy it is and how you feel) is right for you. However, that's not the same for everybody.

That being said, studies done some time back on the effects of sugar on children turned up some interesting results. (I found it amusing that the researchers were afraid to tell parents what they found.) It seems that sugar has a sedating effect on toddlers - and no effect whatsoever on children of other ages. Oops! There goes the scapegoat for misbehavior! The researchers did point out that sugar - usually cake or candy - is blamed for children getting wild and hyper, and that the times that children eat the most sugar tend to be, oh, Halloween, Christmas, birthday parties, Easter, etc. - in other words, times when kids would be most likely to be excited and hyper anyway - the wild, well, there's always parenting!

However, I digress. Probably cutting out refined carbs and decreasing sugar wouldn't hurt - I'd say find out what foods DO give you energy, and throw some exercise in there (there are ways to incorporate it into your daily schedule), and go from there. In other words, don't demonize particular foods, go for the positive by finding out what feeds your particular body best.

Oh, and misbehaving kids? Sometimes they NEED snapping at!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
when I try to cut out the refined carbs and sugar, I just seem to want them more. is this a real thing or just a "mental" thing? suggestions for help would be welcome!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
I'm not a Dr. and it would probably be best to check with a professional in this field of work but my grandmother, who lived a good life for 96 years always told me that your body will tell you what you need and just to keep it in moderation. Of course to know the difference between what you want and what you need could be confusing. I have lived by this thinking and seem to be doing just fine so far!!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'm not a Dr. and it would probably be best to check with a professional in this field of work but my grandmother, who lived a good life for 96 years always told me that your body will tell you what you need and just to keep it in moderation. Of course to know the difference between what you want and what you need could be confusing. I have lived by this thinking and seem to be doing just fine so far!!
Your grandmother sounds like she was a wise person! I do think it is challenging to tell the difference between what your mind wants and what your body needs.

I'm feeling 100 times better today than yesterday. Yesterday I was just tired. Too many days of being a single mom while my husband travels for work.

I just read a review for the book, "Sugar Shock." Of course the author thinks sugar is the most evil substance EVER but I'm wondering if just balancing carbs with protein is healthy enough without going on a rampage trying to cut out all sugars. It sounds tough to do and I don't need more stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink