Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Lol! Just step away from the flour tortillas, folks! If you don't want to use the oil method, you can dip them in the sauce--sometimes it's the tortillas themselves causing the problem. Some are just drier than others & break more easily. Don't overstuff them, either.

Flour tortillas do not belong in enchilada sauce. That's just a gummy mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't make enchiladas very often because of the prep work with the tortillas. Flip them very briefly in hot oil, until they go limp, and drain on paper towels until they're cool enough to handle. Then dip in enchilada sauce (although this step is optional, because they'll be pliable enough to roll after the frying step).
Worth the effort!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
LOVE enchiladas, and the tortillas have to be corn, not only to be authentic, but because my husband has to be gluten free. I don't have so much trouble with them breaking, and actually I usually just fold mine over once, but my problem is they fall apart in the pan when I bake them.
I nuke them in the micro before I fill them, AND have sauce in the pan under them and on top of them. If they aren't totally covered with sauce, they get chewy and even hard when they're baked. Anybody else have THIS problem? I use my sister's sauce recipe, and when SHE makes them, they stay intact! Neither of us can figure out what the difference is, we're using the same sauce, same method, same tortillas. Puzzling.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:30 PM

10,716 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. Cave man View Post
i just saw this on you tube yesterday, but can't find it now. He warmed up a pan w/veg oil, guessing med heat(not smok'n hot) and fried it for just a few seconds in the oil(the pan had enough oil to cover the tortilla easily). Then put your stuff in, wrap, and into the dish.

He also had some of his sauce in the dish that would go to the oven. Then some on top.......then a bunch of cheese.

Hope this helps

the guy was some chef from food network......i think.
fpni

Old 02-24-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
LOVE enchiladas, and the tortillas have to be corn, not only to be authentic, but because my husband has to be gluten free. I don't have so much trouble with them breaking, and actually I usually just fold mine over once, but my problem is they fall apart in the pan when I bake them.
I nuke them in the micro before I fill them, AND have sauce in the pan under them and on top of them. If they aren't totally covered with sauce, they get chewy and even hard when they're baked. Anybody else have THIS problem? I use my sister's sauce recipe, and when SHE makes them, they stay intact! Neither of us can figure out what the difference is, we're using the same sauce, same method, same tortillas. Puzzling.
That's why you do cover them in sauce. Should be topped with extra cheese also. Grease your pan. You dry (no oil) M/W'ed your tortillas. If there's no oil at all in the sauce they're gonna stick. I still recommend cooking tortillas a couple seconds each side in hot oil. Heat your finished enchiladas to a boil and they're done! Just want to melt the cheese.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Could be a difference in pans you and your sister are using.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:28 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
If you cover the enchiladas with sauce and bake them too long, the tortillas will cook to bits. If everything is hot (sauce, tortillas, oven) they don't really have to bake at all. Just fill them quickly and put them in the oven a minute or two for the cheese to melt.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 12,455 times
Aside from homemade corn tortillas,what brand would be suggested? I've bought tortillas that were broken or cracked, or just didn't taste right.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymestimothy View Post
Aside from homemade corn tortillas,what brand would be suggested? I've bought tortillas that were broken or cracked, or just didn't taste right.
Those are too localized to be of help in general. Just experiment with your local brands. Freshness is important not just brand.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I use flour tortillas myself. I've never had an issue with them ripping and I really don't do anything special to them at all.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:13 PM

Flour tortillas are a whole different thing. Great for tacos not for enchiladas in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink