Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

When I am in a restaurant and the server takes my order, I repeat my enchilada mantra:

Stacked, cheese, red, and a sunny side up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:33 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
The way I was taught - by a woman from Michoacan by way of Chicago - was fresh corn tortillas, no pre-heat, dip in heated sauce, fill, roll. She didn't break any tortillas and I haven't yet either (although it's one of the messy recipes in my repetoire).

FWIW, the "stacked" enchilada has its roots in Southern Mexico (Oaxaca, Chiapas) where enchiladas are not rolled, yet still called enchiladas. The New Mexico adaptation (enchilada montadas) simply has more stuff (meat/egg) added as the Oaxacan version is usually just sauce, cheese and onion.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I only use flour tortillas for enchilada. I warm them up in the micro, dip them in sauce (I prefer the green versus the red), fill them, roll them up and bake them.

It took me a while to learn this, because like you, they always fell apart when serving. Master it
actually you can use either and do about the same thing, but I will say. of all the things I enjoy cooking, I think getting the art of tortillas down is one of the hardest.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:14 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Everything said above, *and* I found that putting the filling on the upper third of the tortilla instead of in the middle to start rolling really cut down on the tearing.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I use flour tortillas myself. I've never had an issue with them ripping and I really don't do anything special to them at all.
I use flour as well. I do not like the taste of corn tortillas.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:59 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I use flour as well. I do not like the taste of corn tortillas.
You can use flour tortillas. You can use flatbread, wonton wrappers, or phyllo dough if you want to, but in any of those cases...they are no longer enchiladas.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
In the U.S. and Mexico, a flour tortilla rolled around a filling is called a burrito or an arollada, not an enchilada.

But really you can call it whatever you want. In Costa Rica, an enchilada is like an empanada made with puff pastry according to a friend of mine who ordered enchiladas and got a surprise.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In the U.S. and Mexico, a flour tortilla rolled around a filling is called a burrito or an arollada, not an enchilada.

But really you can call it whatever you want. In Costa Rica, an enchilada is like an empanada made with puff pastry according to a friend of mine who ordered enchiladas and got a surprise.
In Cuban cooking enchilado is a shrimp with a spicy tomato sauce. It's one of the very few spicy dishes that exists in Cuban cooking which is commonly mild.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:32 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I prefer softening the tortillas in oil because of the way i prepare my enchiladas. The sauce is gonna be hot for one thing and rolling tortillas in hot sauce and adding cheese is painful and very messy. I prefer to ladle out a little sauce in the ovenware then roll tortillas adding cheese and then placing in cookware. When full of enchiladas more sauce on top to cover and then plenty shredded cheese on top. Bring to just a boil and remove.

BTW, I use plenty of paper towels to absorb oil from the tortillas. I simply like the results better my way.
This is the way to do them! You have to dip them in very hot oil and then the sauce.

I've never had tortillas break up.

But I rarely make them - once a year or so. Too much work. Easier to just go out to eat!!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 PM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Haven't tried blue corn yet. Those "stacked" as you call it, or layered tortillas sounds like it should be considered an enchilada casserole. I mean it wouldn't change the taste either way. Because of the method though it could be considered a casserole, I suppose. We do make a King Ranch casserole in which we layer tortillas with cheese and other ingredients.
You could make it as a casserole, but the way we fix them is soften the tortillas, put it in enchilada sauce, put the tortilla on a plate and add your toppings. Repeat for as many enchiladas as you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Well, now that is a totally different dish around here. We call that Chicken Sopa or Chicken Taco Pie. That layering tortillas with cream of chicken soup, green chile, shredded chicken and cheese. Then build it up with several layers, cooking for about an hour at 350 degrees. It is a great dish as well but NOT the same as flat enchiladas which are served right after layered. Some people really like a fried egg on top of their enchiladas. And having them made with fresh groundd red chile powder from Mesilla Valley or Chimayo is absolutely Heaven.
Definitely have to have an egg on top! That is truly the New Mexico way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink