Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 AM

37 posts, read 223,172 times

Advertisements

The NY Times says White Lily flour as we know it will be replaced with an inferior product by the company's new owner. Say goodbye to awesome biscuits. When we moved from the south last year I knew I'd miss White Lily and whole milk buttermilk. Now maybe everybody will be missing White Lily?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/dining/18flour.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Very interesting reading, thanks for sharing. Why is that people just can't embrace tradition, and recognize when they've got something worth preserving? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I can buy White Lily here in Michigan at my local grocery store and use it for certain recipes. One of my cousins swears by it. Have folks tried a letter writing campaign or an all out boycott to persaude Smucker's to return to the original plant and the original formula?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:41 PM

37 posts, read 223,172 times
Don't know. But, I guarantee you, if they change it as much as the article suggests according to first tastes of the replacement flour, disappearing sales will be the first petition they'll get. You really CAN taste the difference in a biscuit!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:03 PM

424 posts, read 1,676,214 times
I have not tried the version yet that is milled in Ohio, but when in the store recently I checked the bags for the old and new versions of the same product. I read the nutrition information on a bag with the C. H. Guenther name on it...the old version, and one with the White Lily Foods and a Memphis address on it. The nutrients percentages AND the calorie listings per serving differered. Now maybe the difference just reflected a clarification/updateing/correction of the information for a product that IS identical, but I suspect otherwise. White Lily is the largest selling niche flour in the country, but if they REALLY have changed it and the discerning baker is not satisfied I expect the chorus of complaints will rise and sales will suffer. In theory AND practice they should be able to replicate the product in another mill, but if they try to cut corners by using lower grade components of even the same grain or streamline operations to be consistent with processes for production and handling of their more mainstream products, then the end product just won't be right. J. M. Smucker says the customer won't notice the change in manufacture, but if there are changes I think their supposition is wrong. The problem is, if they foist an inferior product upon the public, at this time there is no real alternative...you can take it or leave it. I think they are counting on their customer base taking whatever product is shoved down their throats, after all where else are you going to go? Martha White and Red Band for example, are similar, but not quite as good for substitutes. Oh yeah, and who makes THOSE brands? Except for King Arthur, Hudson Cream, Adluh, Southern Biscuit, and a few others, most of the flours are now made by General Mills or J. M. Smucker.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Check this thread out: https://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...may-never.html

So sad for Knoxville.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
WHAT?????
I depend on White Lily....there is no better....and now they're changing it? I'm MAD AS HELL!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 40,814 times
I had to register just to comment here.
Oh the trouble my husband and I had last week vacationing in
Washington DC and most of the gorgeous state of Virginia trying to find White
Lily flour.

I called the White Lily company number 4 times on our jaunt for locations
of markets that carried it. My husband drove his bride to no less than 20 markets which included 5 Walmart supercenters (which were shoe in guaranteed. A for sure in other words according to White Lily customer "No" service). Exactly "one store" they mentioned (a huge conglommerate gigantic food chain with many locations of ultra high end fascilities) and yes we'd hit all of them, had only 2 bags. When I could finally breathe and stand up after passing out with excitement, I calmly walked up and paid for them. Since I got the only bags, I asked for the head of the dept. to see if more was in the back, "no" but a new shipment would arrive Friday. Too late as our plane was leaving for home Friday.

I forgot to mention that we live in Los Angeles and it's only sold in
Southern states.

I FEDEX'd them home. Just looking at the bag the address is Burbank Street Memphis is that the new version? OML please say no.
All the years I've been dying to try it and I get the new sub par stuff?
Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Old 10-17-2009, 08:42 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
This is what I learned to make biscuits from and then there was no other.

My MIL told me that is what kind I had to get. Of course I tried something else and it just was not the same.

The recipe on the package was all you needed. (And someone who could half way cook)

I made biscuits home made with dinner every single night. Hey, it was the sorta south, in Virginia.

Good good stuff.

I am further south now, and I do not recall seeing the flour here. I have not made biscuits since.... well, lets just say for about 5 years or so.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
"New Coke" comes irresistibly to mind (now known as the biggest marketing failure in history - did they learn NOTHING). They told us then, first, we'd like it better and, second, we wouldn't be able to tell the difference (hello?).

Why do companies buy something because it's successful and then think they need to pee on it in order to make it "better"? It never, ever works, and they kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
If it is not broke don't fix it. My 2¢
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink