Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Isn't an English Muffin kind of like sourdough?

To me there's a world of difference between a US scone and a US biscuit. I love both but they're a lot different IMO.

This is kind of related... my partner is from Iowa, and moved here to South Texas, and would refer to a taco as a "Mexican Taco". Cracked me up every time. I mean, here, what else is there?
A Mexican Taco as opposed to WHAT??
I didn't know there was any other kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
When I first moved to France many years ago in the Air Force, my wife asked a waiter for French Dressing........[we didn't know] His reply was, "Madamme, zees eez France......all dressing eez French."

Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Now you've got me thinking... can you get a danish pastry in Denmark? How about a Belgian waffle in Belgium? Not trying to be funny, I really am curious!
I have eaten both of those things in those respective countries. I don't know what the Danes would call that type of pastry, but to a Belgian a waffle is a just a waffle.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Isn't an English Muffin kind of like sourdough?

Absolutely not.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:42 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
An English Muffin is almost like a scone but more bready, hard to explain, its savory, not sweet. You can actually make a pizza on them if you want. Toast them and put jam and butter on them.
Just done a Google Image search on them and they look like mutant crumpets. I'll have to try them if I ever see them. They look good.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times

A German or Norwegian taco might be truly frightening.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post

A German or Norwegian taco might be truly frightening.
German eh? A bratwurst and sauerkraut taco mebbe?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:35 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
To clarify - as one who has lived both sides:

American = "English muffin", Britain = "muffin" - same thing

To (slightly?) confuse matters the sweet cakey thing (you know, blueberry, chocolate chip et al) called just "muffin" in the U.S. is also called simply "muffin" in the UK, although they're not nearly as prevelent as they are Stateside.
Bingo.

And crumpets are much rubberier and the holes go through to the top edge. They are very leaky!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
German eh? A bratwurst and sauerkraut taco mebbe?
Heh, sausage tacos are quite popular here in Texas!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Now you've got me thinking... can you get a danish pastry in Denmark? How about a Belgian waffle in Belgium? Not trying to be funny, I really am curious!
Waffles have been served in Belgium for centuries, however in Belgium they are known as "gauffres", and there are generally not eaten for breakfast…more of a dessert type item over there.

In Denmark what we call Danish pastry is known as Wienerbrød", this is due to the fact that the basic recipe came from Vienna, Austria centuries ago. The Danes took the basic sweet dough recipe and went from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink