Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:04 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Just done a Google Image search on them and they look like mutant crumpets. I'll have to try them if I ever see them. They look good.
They are good, what is cool about them is you can turn them into a pizza successfully, you can put butter and jam on them, I have put peanut butter and jam AND my Father used to make me a sausage sandwich with them. They come in whole wheat and white and low fat as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
A Mexican Taco as opposed to WHAT??
I didn't know there was any other kind.

A German or Norwegian taco might be truly frightening.
Now the Norwegian one would NO DOUBT involve fish which could be disgusting, maybe the German would have sauer kraut on it, YUK !!

OH, I have another thing, I love this kind of bread called English Toasting Bread. I had it years ago in Texas but have been finding it here at Walmart. The quality of the bread is so different. Its more like a croissant maybe but in the shape of a regular loaf of bread. Its good no matter what you put on it as well, but its more flakey and pastry like. Makes a good peanut butter and jam sandwich AND a nice bacon sandwich also but you could do something like putting Nutella and Straweberries in it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:11 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Just done a Google Image search on them and they look like mutant crumpets. I'll have to try them if I ever see them. They look good.
You're in Bromsgrove, right? They're exactly the same as the things that they sell in Tescos. If the American ones look slightly different in the picture then it's only because they're a little messy around the edges - in all other respects they're identical.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Heh, sausage tacos are quite popular here in Texas!
Hairy fish taco?

Old 06-21-2008, 04:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think they are something like a crumpet but to know for sure we need to find an English person who has had both.

I think its funny in our foods how we label something like English Muffins, or French toast or French frys when they are entirely American.

Can you think of more examples?

Anyone from England or France can tell us what French toast is called in France or if you have it at all?
What is sold as French toast in the UK is called a "Biscotte" in France ( bread which has been dry crisped) .

Old 06-21-2008, 09:53 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
We have Biscotte here. Not my kind of thing.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
What is sold as French toast in the UK is called a "Biscotte" in France ( bread which has been dry crisped) .
French Toast in america is made with preferably stale bread - "french bread" is best - briefly soaked in a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, beaten eggs and milk/cream then fried up in butter until each side is nicely browned.

Serve with maple syrup and possibly powdered sugar and you have some very happy breakfasters. Sausage is very nice on the side.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:19 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,936 times
What? No english muffins in England? Why that's sacrilege!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
What? No english muffins in England? Why that's sacrilege!
Did you actually read the thread...?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:06 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Did you actually read the thread...?

You caught me!! I skimmed it-sorry!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink