Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:52 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,223,501 times

Advertisements

Name the vegetable and we eat (or grow) them. We can go to the farmer's market and get locally grown produce. We have some sort of vegetables every day. DH loves baby spinach salad, I make that for him at least twice a week. We both had physicals a couple of weeks ago and it showed with our results. I try and get fish in our diet at least 2 times a week also, and we love our meat too, just try to do it in moderation. I can't wait until Fresh Market opens up down the street from us (1 mi.) in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,003,580 times
I think I could easily live in a world without fruits and vegetables. They just don't do anything for me. I'm a carnivore woman, through and through. Of course, I *do* eat fruits and vegetables, but more because I feel like I *should*, rather than because I really want them.

Fruits and vegetables are too much work for not enough payoff. The mouth-feel just isn't there. They often have moist bits leftover that I have to figure out what to do with (peels, rinds, seeds).

I'm not saying I hate fruits and vegetables. I actually like a lot of them, especially if someone else prepares them. They just aren't among my crave foods. Given the choice of fruit, vegetable, grains or meat, F&V plunge immediately to the bottom of the list.

I have never, ever *craved* lettuce.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM

172 posts, read 767,763 times
Total veggie lover here. I like everything, especially broccoli.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:00 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,444,443 times
We eat veggies in any form, raw, steamed, stewed, grilled, roasted in pies and pasta sauces and the list goes on. I can´t imagine our diet without them.

You are right though, Nelly, they are more work if you do not want to have them boiled all the time, but I think it is worth it.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 AM

774 posts, read 1,413,030 times
Love all veggies, except Eggplant, although I have eaten it.
My fave is: Peas, fresh or frozen not canned. I cook up frozen peas add a bit of butter, salt and pepper and eat them like popcorn.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,714,903 times
The majority of my diet is veggies. Too much protein and grease makes me sick.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,418,256 times
Cool Never met a fruit or vegetable I didn't like, or have something in common with

Actually, I prefer fresh veggies and fruits to anything else in my diet -- corn-on-the-cob this time of year, okra and tomatoes (well, good ones I've grown), strawberries in the Spring, blueberries, peaches. . . I'm making myself crave them all now.

I've noticed that over the years, I seem to desire meat less and less, and was never so surprised to learn what an actual serving of meat is supposed to be -- heavens! but the T-bones we used to grill would feed a family of five?!

I sometimes actually crave a good, fresh green salad, and like to play with how to throw items together in a bowl, like strawberries and gorgonzola cheese with fresh spinach leaves, or mandarin oranges, or fresh pineapple. Nice and cold, and so refreshing. Even just a typical salad with lettuce(s) and cucumbers, carrots, radishes, and tomatoes (well, the good ones, again). This time of year, the cool cucumber/tomato soup is delightful.

So, to answer the question, yes! I most definitely eat all of my vegetables -- and usually finish them first.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:44 PM

878 posts, read 2,727,382 times
not a big fruit eater but brussel sprouts for some reason are my absolute favorite...I just steam them with a little salt and butter and then eat them right afterwards with nothing....I simply adore those little things....

Old 06-22-2008, 09:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,331,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Love 'em!

Can do without lima beans and yams, just about everything else is welcome on my plate
My family used to live near Lima, Ohio. We disliked lima beans so much we called them Findley beans! I actually like most vegetables fixed at least one way. I do not care for lima beans or okra, but I have to have them to make gumbo. You could never get me to eat mashed rutabaga, but how can you make pasties without them? I also put rutabaga in hobo stew; adds wonderful low notes to the bouquet. The only veggie I absolutely draw the line at is artichokes. My feeling is that any food that is that much trouble to eat isn't worth the effort. I satisify my cravings in a variety of other ways.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,003,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
not a big fruit eater but brussel sprouts for some reason are my absolute favorite...I just steam them with a little salt and butter and then eat them right afterwards with nothing....I simply adore those little things....
If I *had* to pick a fave, those little cabbageheads would certainly be in the running. I like them the same way you do, but without the salt. I'd never pick a sprout over a steak but if it was sprout or, say, green bean, sprout would win.

You realize that by liking brussel sprouts, we're definitely odd ducks. For most people, the sprouts go on the ewwwwwww list. Even for vegetable lovers, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink