Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,693 times

Advertisements

On a thread about secret ingredient's I posted the use of chicken gizzards as a sub for ground beef in certain receipes. It made me realize I haven't seen any threads (personally) about the little rascals. I grew up eating them in Oklahoma and assumed everyone else probably did too. When I moved to coastal S. Carolina I found many places out here also served and supplied gizzards. When I drove a truck for a few years is when I found a world on non-gizzard eaters. Far west, North, and Upper Mid Section people I met were uninterested in these parts. Is this a standard or was I just talking to the wrong people? Is the deep south a refuge for gizzard consumers like myself. My mother is from the deep south and that could be why we ate them alot...as I look back I see now that our menu was not always standard Okie fare. How about an informal poll...Do you like them? place and preference please

Last edited by BillyC64; 06-24-2008 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: added line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
I can, but I would rather use them in Giblet Gravy. Now fry up some Chicken Livers dipped in flour... throw 'em in a slice of fresh bread and serve with a big glass of cold milk and I will eat myself sick.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Gross...ewwwwww....nope!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I love gizzards. Have since I was a kid growing up in South Dakota. When I got married, the first time the wife cooked chicken, she cut them up and put them in the gravy. I was so pissed. haha

When I was in Texas there was a fast food place that had them and livers on the menu. Granby's. At least a couple times a week I went there and got a big basket of livers or gizzards.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,364 times
Only during a famine

Old 06-24-2008, 08:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
There is a deli not far from me that has deep fried gizzards every Wednesday, and they seem to be very popular.

I haven't found many other places in the Seattle area that serve them, the few places that do serve them seem to be owned and operated by people with a Southern background.

My grandmother was from NC, so that explains a lot, grew up eating them and love them!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
On a thread about secret ingredient's I posted the use of chicken gizzards as a sub for ground beef in certain receipes. It made me realize I haven't seen any threads (personally) about the little rascals. I grew up eating them in Oklahoma and assumed everyone else probably did too. When I moved to coastal S. Carolina I found many places out here also served and supplied gizzards. When I drove a truck for a few years is when I found a world on non-gizzard eaters. Far west, North, and Upper Mid Section people I met were uninterested in these parts. Is this a standard or was I just talking to the wrong people? Is the deep south a refuge for gizzard consumers like myself. My mother is from the deep south and that could be why we ate them alot...as I look back I see now that our menu was not always standard Okie fare. How about an informal poll...Do you like them? place and preference please
I like them, but I'm too lazy to cook them often. Since they're so tough, they take forever to boil. Oh, to all grossed-out - like chiken livers and hearts, too, as well as many other things that will make ya cringe.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
my husband LOVES gizzards. i can eat them too--
we are italian and saute an onlion first and throw them in cut up to small bites. just saute in olive oil, salt pepper....

Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
My mom slices them up really thin and stir fries it with peppers. Best gizzards ever.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
I've eaten them ever since I was little growing up in northern Calif. After joining the Navy, I never got them for a long time. Then, I don't remember where I was, I think I saw them on the menu at KFC or something... and I still loved them.

My mother-in-law cuts them up and puts them in the stuffing for Thanksgiving dinner! Fantastic!

But livers... chicken or other... right into the trash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink