Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times

Advertisements

I generally worship Alton Brown, but sometimes he and I diverge in our experiences/preferences, heretic that I am.

Given that I don't use enough oil to measure, that may be the reason I have no problem with my sauce sticking to the pasta, as some appear to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 03:56 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,607,184 times
The next question may be how thin is your sauce? Our sauce doesn't run, it is packed w/beef and pork so thick you can eat it w/chop sticks.

Really, how much time do we really need to "think" about pasta anyway? It's just there as a filler so you don't eat so much meat.

I am getting off subject here, but the main question is "why" does oil keep it from boiling over? It is due to the fact that oil is lighter than water, so it floats. It covers the surface and keeps starch from reacting w/air to form "bubbles" and also helps maintain the surface of water/air cooling reaction and from reacting with the nitrogen in the air..........blah blah blah......if you believe that horse shtuff then I have a bridge to sell ya.

My answer is..........."because"........or maybe has to do w/a moon phase or something.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times
The next question may be how thin is your sauce? Our sauce doesn't run, it is packed w/beef and pork so thick you can eat it w/chop sticks.

Yep, there is that. Ours is similar, with the "saucy" part likewise not runny at all.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:32 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,491,058 times
Yeah, I thought about posting this on the science forum just to avoid the wonderful debate I knew I'd cause (oh how useful and useless google is sometimes).

I never have a problem with pasta sticking when I use a splash of oil. I usually have a problem if I don't. I've never had a problem with the sauce sticking either.

Oh, and Im a 21 year old college student. All you cooking afficionados can enjoy your discussion on taboo v. not taboo, useful v. not. I just wanted to know the science behind it, because it interested me.

I'm with cave man. Btw, how much is that bridge?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
To answer the actual question, rather than go on about whether or not you should put oil in your pasta, which you didn't ask.

The boiling point of water is 100 oC. The boiling point of oil is much much higher. In the case of certain oils as high as 270 oC and then it isn't exactly a boiling point as in boiling over, it's called a smoking point - the point where the oil starts to break down.

So, if you add oil to water, the boiling point of the contents of that pan have now been altered (increased) and the water will no longer boil over at 100 oC.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 AM

240 posts, read 555,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Seriously...

I know it does... but I'm curious why it does this...

I know it has a lot of bonuses like... pasta doesn't stick to itself as much... etc.

But, Im really curious what stops the water from boiling over.
I don't think it does.

Quote:
Yeah, but I prefer the individual noodles being independent of each other. So, oil it is.

Thanks for the quick reply and the link.
Adding oil to pasta water doesn't keep the noodles from sticking. The oil just sits on top of the water. Only adding oil after cooking does that.

Some chefs do say though, that adding oil to water can cause uneven cooking.

In general, pretty much all culinarians agree there is no point in putting oil in pasta water.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 AM

240 posts, read 555,480 times
^source: culinary school.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM

20,855 posts, read 28,180,725 times
Quote:
Seriously...

I know it does... but I'm curious why it does this...

I know it has a lot of bonuses like... pasta doesn't stick to itself as much... etc.

But, Im really curious what stops the water from boiling over.
adding oil to pasta while it's cooking????. I am Italian and we never do that. That's taboo in our house.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,861,444 times
I've never heard of doing that either. Seems like it would such a mess it wouldn't be worth whatever supposed benefit there would be.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:11 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
It alters the surface tension, to prevent the surface from bubbling or foaming. A few drops of oil for a whole pot of pasta is all that is necessary to achieve this effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink