Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,772 times

Advertisements

Just Black coffee!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Back to our new favorite weekend breakfast spot again this morning, this time with the daughter along. She is now as hooked on it as we are, not surprisingly.

I was so impressed with the taste I had of the spouse's fried egg sandwich last week that I had to have one this week. It was even better than I remembered: the egg was perfectly done, so that the yolk was nice and runny, soaking into the lightly grilled rosemary bread, the bacon was crisp and tender, and the red onions added just the right note of zip to the flavor. The addition of the cream cheese is absolutely inspired - it adds a richness and a creaminess that I would never, ever have thought to include in an egg sandwich.

The daughter tried out the chorizo-pepper jack-egg strata this week, which the spouse had a couple of weeks ago, and was bowled over by how good it was. She identified a note of cinnamon in the chorizo, and the spouse agreed with her analysis; gives it almost a Middle-eastern overtone, which is both unique and very tasty. The owner, who generally stops by our table to say hello each week, confirmed that their chorizo recipe does include cinnamon, though she was understandably reticent about sharing the precise ingredients and proportions.

Spouse tried one of their omelets this week, a combination of ground turkey, onion, roasted red pepper and fresh rosemary, and pronounced it excellent. I had been a bit dubious about the notion of ground turkey in an omelet, but I have to admit that it was an excellent choice, not nearly as heavy or greasy as pork sausage or beef would have been. And the flavor notes added by the other ingredients were the perfect enhancement for the mild flavor of the meat and eggs.

Of course, all the breakfasts were accompanied by the standard melon slices and oven-roasted red potatoes, which are absolutely wonderful and so much less heavy than home fries. And their coffee is about the best I've ever had in a restaurant; it's more like coffee-house coffee, rich, strong and flavorful enough that even if their food wasn't great, I'd go there for coffee anyway.

I really hope they keep the momentum and quality going - they're off to a great start. It's tough to keep a restaurant going at the best of times, and these are hardly the best of times to start a new business, but with luck and a lot of hard work, hopefully they'll be one of the success stories. We'll do all we can to keep them in business!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
WELL!

For a while now I've been reading with fascination about the American fascination with the breakfast burrito. ACTUALLY I read with fascination MOST American breakfast fare.

Things are pretty simple around here in terms of breakfast.

Cereal
Porridge
Toast
Crumpets
Bacon and eggs
Fruit Salad

When MM was here I made French toast for the first time in about 30 years AND there was one day I actually made a breakfast omelette but for the most part we really don't have the variety of cooked breakfasts that are available in America.

SOOOO today I was all excited because I'd remembered to buy ham and that meant I could poach a couple of eggs and have them on some freshly buttered toast with a nice little slice of thinly shaved leg ham under the egg.

EXCEPT I forgot to buy bread!

So I improvised!

We do have some soft flour tortillas because I made burritos earlier in the week, so I whisked up a couple of eggs with a little salt and pepper, a splash of milk and a sprinkle of portuguese seasoning and poured the lot into a nice mix of melted butter and olive oil. Chopped up some of the leg ham and scattered it all over the top, some grated tasty cheese and a little squeeze of tomato sauce (ketchup) drizzled over it all. Once it was cooked I cut it in half and wrapped each half in a lightly warmed soft tortilla.

It rocked!

Can't wait to do it again and expand on my repertoire!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:58 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Most likely a banana sandwich....

Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
It's a Sunday brunch of pancakes and bacon. And some melon on the side.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Green tea is going to do it. Even the banana is off limits right now.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
two eggs over easy.... toasted/buttered!!! English muffin for dipping yum....

Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
coffee, V8 and gatorade......in that order.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 PM

256 posts, read 453,044 times
DH made his lovely Eggs Benedict this am! I'm just glad he's feeling well enough to try doing it.

He is still having lots of symptoms, and feels very weak and lightheaded. I've cut his BP med in 1/2 and we'll see how he does tomorrow.

Have a great day, y'all!

Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,730,526 times
I had a Peanut Butter Sandwich for breakfast this morning. I know, it doesn't sound like breakfast, but I just didn't feel like toasting the bread this morning!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink