Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:23 AM

17 posts, read 129,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
That sounds good although after searing I will have to pop in the oven to get a little more medium done for me. As the oven does its' thing, I will saute the garlic, butter, onions and mushrooms with some good red wine. After that is done I will plate the steak, add some feta or blue cheese to the topping and immediately pour over the steak, and then finish it with a couple of turns of the pepper mill. Side with garlic mashed potatoes, either pan fried or bacon wrapped oven fried green beans and french bread. Heaven on a plate.
Sounds great, though I suggest leaving out the red wine and substituting the blue cheese/feta with Gorgonzola. I don't think you'll be disappointed ^_^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
a strip sirloin,,,or top sirloin,,,is actually a boneless t-tone

t-bones and porterhous's come from what they call a short loin,,,the sirloin strip is on one side, and the tenderloin (filet) is on the other...
when they "bone" the tenderloin on one side, it leaves the sirloin strip on the other
the "bone-in strip steak, is taken from when they remove the tenderloin and clip the bone (still from the short-loin)

there's a steak, we call the new-york sirloin in the northeast,,,thats from the top-butt,,(hip),, that in some places its refrerenced as a top sirloin, (a rather large diameter steak,) (not the sirloin strip thats a boneless t-bone)

for a quick marinade...i like a-1 steak sauce,,with bbq sauce,,and some brown sugar...go light on the a-1 if you like it mild,
You may be right, but where I get strip steaks, t-bones, porterhouses, and top sirloin there is a difference. I actually have to dissagree, I've never had a strip steak taste/look or feel like top sirloin. A t-bone/porterhouse is almost the same thing, more filet on the porter. Top sirloin is completely different. Taste and texture.

T-bone and top sirloin are not near the same, nor is the strip compared to the top sirloin.

I may be wrong, but I know for a fact that they are VERY different.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:23 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
You may be right, but where I get strip steaks, t-bones, porterhouses, and top sirloin there is a difference. I actually have to dissagree, I've never had a strip steak taste/look or feel like top sirloin. A t-bone/porterhouse is almost the same thing, more filet on the porter. Top sirloin is completely different. Taste and texture.

T-bone and top sirloin are not near the same, nor is the strip compared to the top sirloin.

I may be wrong, but I know for a fact that they are VERY different.
steak descriptions are confusing, i mentioned two different steaks in my post,,if its not the strip sirloin it,,comes from what they call a top-butt (sirloin)
we dont use the description top-sirloin in these parts,,its new york sirloin (not the strip)

now, what if i asked for a steak,,from the "bottom sirloin flap meat" or the "sirloin tip"
(i'd get different answers from different regions, like "london broil", it could be top round steak, chuck shoulder arm steak, or even flank steak)

Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Bring it to room temperature before grilling it. That's the best thing you can do for any cut of beef. For an a 3/4" cut from the supermarket, I'd preheat the grill and cook it about 4 minutes per side. In my grill, a 1" rib-eye comes out rare to medium rare at 4.5 minutes a side.

For a marinade, I like to just rub in soy sauce and a few drops of liquid smoke and let it sit for a while before cooking. If you like a little zing in your food, crush up some jalapenos and rub them on the meat to get that authentic salmonella flavoring

Old 07-06-2008, 06:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I marinade steak in a good quality Italian salad dressing, and then make a few slits in the meat and add pieces of garlic.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:11 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
I had some great ideas for our marinade sauce on here. Thanks.
But......I let it marinade over night. It was too long because it was salty. I should have only let it sit for a few hours...

Old 07-06-2008, 06:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
My favorite (assuming its a good top sirloin) is no marinade, just liberally coat it with Garlic Pepper and cook on the grill. I've played with many many marinades and rubs - over time, this very simple method has become my favorite for beef, pork, and chicken.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
If doing a beef marinade I generally marinate for hours, not days. For fish, only marinate for 30 minutes tops.

I love rubs on beef though. Beef is usually so flavorful on its' own and if it isn't then a topping (even if it is just sauteed onions) is more to my liking.

I agree with beef coming to or close to room temp before grilling.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Just to make it a bit easier for people, educating and knowing on where different cuts of retail cut beef come from and exactly which part of the cattle, I am posting a link to a structured picture....(which we use as a reference point at my work as well.)
Hope it helps a bit....

http://www.beefretail.org/uDocs/bmezretailcutchart.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I marinade steak in a good quality Italian salad dressing, and then make a few slits in the meat and add pieces of garlic.
Be careful with this one... slits in the meat can cause the steaks juices to escape and become dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink