Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,336,559 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean about things tasting like chemicals. Its just awful.

The best illustration I can give is to try organic chicken broth next to a regular one. That made me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:09 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
I make nearly everything from scratch -- my mother rarely used convenience foods other than the occasional serving of Rice A Roni.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,199,342 times
I had problems caused by MSG for years, it's pathetic how miserable I used to feel and never could figure out why. This went on for years. And I'd avoid anything labelled 'monosodium glutamate', but they sneak MSG in there in other stuff, like hydrolyzed protein and autolyzed yeast extract, so I'd be eating it and not realizing it. The other day I saw a carton of Swanson's chicken broth in the store that said "no MSG" on the front of the carton. So I read the list of ingredients and it's got autolyzed yeast extract in it. Autolyzed yeast extract always contains MSG. Apparently the FDA allows them to lie about the MSG content.

There's a book about food allergy by Dr. William Walsh (an allergist), which practically saved my life. No doctors that I saw were any help figuring out what was wrong with me, and after I'd figured it out on my own I mentioned it to a couple of them and they just looked at me like I was crazy.

It makes me mad thinking of all the misery I could have avoided if I'd known about this stuff in all sorts of processed foods, and restaurant food. I used to have headaches, sinus problems, sore throats, and shortness of breath. The reaction wouldn't come until the day after I ate the stuff, so I had no idea it was caused by food.

Since I moved, I seem to have a better tolerance. At least now I can eat foods containing naturally occurring MSG, like tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, mushrooms. But I still avoid the food additive variety, it gives me miserable headaches.

Learning about the crap they put in processed foods really opened my eyes, though. Now I make nearly everything from scratch and seldom eat out.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:37 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,195,618 times
I've been cooking from scratch for years and I don't really think of it as an inconvenience. I enjoy putting the ingredients together to end up with a tasty result.

Glad you folks were able to figure out what was causing your issues.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Rice A Roni makes an all natural version now and its very good. We like the Parmesan and Romano.

I want to teach my daughter now to cook from scratch and just avoid the mess that I went through and what I have read others have gone through.

MSG is in alot of stuff that they don't let you know thats why I like to use organic and all natural foods when I can. I am often surprised at how good the foods are knowing that the other companies could make better food but choose to make fake tasting stuff makes very little sense to me.

I really like Amys Orangic foods which I can get at Walmart and I also like Paul Newman's stuff, he has some organic salad dressings and pasta sauces.

Now if we could get them to stop putting high fructose corn syrup in everything we would be all set.

People who are FROM my area do say you can do alot of gardening here once you get used to the winter being the dry season and the summer being the wet season. I would like to grow alot of my own things so I can KNOW what is in it.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,988,726 times
I cook from scratch because I'm allergic to all forms of soy and that is also in just about everything. I have found some good pasta sauces that are kept in the refrigerated section of the grocercy store (I wish I could remember the names of them) If I remember later I'll let you know.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,188,554 times
I make almost everything from scratch. It tastes so much better and much healthier as well - much less sodium. A couple of years ago, my husband was about to have to increase his blood pressure medicine as the low dosage he was taking wasn't keeping his pressure down. I started changing the way I cooked, eating the basically the same food, but making my own sauces instead of using cream soups or jarred spaghetti sauce ,using fresh vegetables instead of canned, cooking all grains except bread from scratch, etc. Today his blood pressure is down to normal and he has lost 16 pounds!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:24 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,118,467 times
oh my, I'm amazed at how many cook from scratch. You guys inspire me. Now I should do my homework and start doing things the right way so that my migraines will cease to exist and my daughter's constant sinus issues and feeling just icky for no reason might clear.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
oh my, I'm amazed at how many cook from scratch. You guys inspire me. Now I should do my homework and start doing things the right way so that my migraines will cease to exist and my daughter's constant sinus issues and feeling just icky for no reason might clear.
I have a HUGE collection of cookbooks but the one I keep coming back to is my Betty Crocker cookbook. It has all kinds of basic recipes.

I also use my crock pot alot as well and have a couple cookbooks for that.

I think its just about thinking differently and then incorporating that into your grocery shopping.

You should check your local grocery stores for organic and all natural foods, you would be surprised at how many items regular everyday grocery stores carry.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:34 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,890,212 times
I cook from scratch as well. I detest boxed cake mixes! But, alas, my son prefers boxed mac-n-cheese now, too. Its the main thing my husband cooks when I'm out, so he got use to it (at least its Annies). I have to call my mac-n-cheese something different now, like baked noodles and cheese. But my secret is leeks and dry mustard. Especially the dry mustard!

Unfortunately, I have been going through a junkfood phase, so although I cook healthy at home and buy healthy snacks, I'm constantly buying junkfood on the road. Its soooo awful but I can't stop!!! Oh, I think I know the root of it and I'm just going to ride it out. I always have little dips like this in my eating habits, but this one has gone on way too long.

Anyhow, I started teaching my son to cook when he was two. I also teach him about sugar and corn syrup and stuff like that. I don't want him to turn out like my husband in the cooking department--totally hopeless. I'm shocked at how many people today do not know how to cook, nor want to. Its the fundementals of life! Air, water, food (well, people don't drink enough water either, for that matter).

Okay, stepping off the soap box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink