Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 01:00 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,871,177 times

Advertisements

For a long time, being under 20, I had an eating disorder and yet, I'm still slim and in good shape and haven't gained any weight. What kind of food do I have to eat to keep my body in shape?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:29 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
No sugar, no flour..just fruits, vegetables, whole grain and protein. If you lay off the simple carbs you can eat just about all you want of everything else.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,686 times
Question any shape in particular

I hear a daily trip to Micky D's will maintain a nice pear shape. Twice a day will keep you looking like a stack of used tires. What else can I learn ya'?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,387 times
Make sure to eat enough unsaturated fat. Extra virgin olive oil, nuts, sunflower seeds, avocados, and natural peanut butter are good sources of fat.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,871,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Make sure to eat enough unsaturated fat. Extra virgin olive oil, nuts, sunflower seeds, avocados, and natural peanut butter are good sources of fat.
No thanks. I don't want to be obese.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,097 times
These are healthy fats, that your body will like you for .. just stay away from fried fats and foods.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,513 times
Eat a low-fat diet with lots of whole grains, fresh veggies and fruit, and an adequate by not excessive amount of protein. Stay away from processed foods with a lot of white flour or high fructose corn syrup. Soda is horrible for you, you are better off drinking beer.

But, if you are still slim and in good shape, I'd keep doing whatever you are doing because it seems to be working. Most people gain weight later in life when their level of physical activity drops or they start eating more. As long as you are getting proper nutrition and have good BP and cholesterol levels, I'd keep up what you are doing now.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:48 PM

95 posts, read 503,482 times
Wheat floor is better for you than white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
In moderation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
These are healthy fats, that your body will like you for .. just stay away from fried fats and foods.
Read the nutrition label and use this as a guideline. Contact a dietitian/nutritionist and they can map out a lifestyle for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Eat a low-fat diet with lots of whole grains, fresh veggies and fruit, and an adequate by not excessive amount of protein. Stay away from processed foods with a lot of white flour or high fructose corn syrup. Soda is horrible for you, you are better off drinking beer.

But, if you are still slim and in good shape, I'd keep doing whatever you are doing because it seems to be working. Most people gain weight later in life when their level of physical activity drops or they start eating more. As long as you are getting proper nutrition and have good BP and cholesterol levels, I'd keep up what you are doing now.
Even no-fat items make life easier to maintain your size and shape.
Get off coffee and caffeine related drinks. Herbal coffee has a dozen coffee flavors, naturally caffeine free.
Exercise, use sunblock with UVA and UVB protection. Food it's self won't keep you in-shape.

Everything is in moderation. One 6 oz cup of coffee per day is moderation for example.

Avoid overcooked food. When it's blackened, it's the unhealthy carcinogen.
Carcinogen = Cancer Generator
Increase your antioxidants on a daily basis.

It's not what you do four times a week. It's what you do 365 days a year!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
No thanks. I don't want to be obese.
You should probably eat 30-55 grams of fat per day. Another guideline is that fat should be about 20-35% of total calories. You won't become obese from eating the fats I listed. Fat is an essential nutrient. The fats you want to avoid are saturated fat and trans fat.

Fat helps us absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K. Fat also helps you to feel satisfied, so it will help you control your appetite. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat help protect against heart disease, lower bad cholesterol, and raise good cholesterol.

Monounsaturated fat is in nuts, peanuts, avocados, and olive oil.

Polyunsaturated fat is omega-3 & omega-6. Omega-3 is in fish and flaxseed. Omega-6 is in meat, eggs, dairy, and vegetable oil. Vegetable oil also has linoleic acid, which is an essential fatty acid.

I only took 1 nutrition class in college. A lot of what I know is from reading magazines like Prevention and Health, books like The Abs Diet and Nutrition for Dummies, and the articles at web sites like sparkpeople.com.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:03 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Rabbit food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink