Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times

Advertisements

Since I'm retired and live on a fixed income I am starting to gather up roadkill and putting it in the freezer so I'll have plenty of meat for the Christmas feast. It ain't bad if you put a lot of ketchup on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 AM

700 posts, read 2,595,555 times
Id rather have roadkill then fruitcake...

My family fruitcake legacy is not as fortunate as seattlerains...

However mom made great egg nog, so she gets points for that.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Nearly every year I do all the cooking, and nearly every year I swear up and down that I'll never do it again!

Last xmas was the first time I cooked for my new husband, and I went with much of what HE wanted (turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie). By meal time I was spent and didn't really enjoy the food too much.

This year, however, I'll be making what I want--probably standing rib roast, to start. I get very bored with the same side dishes every year, so I'll be scoping out ideas sometime in October.

And my daughter will be helping me this year--whether she likes it or not!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
This year, however, I'll be making what I want--probably standing rib roast, to start. I get very bored with the same side dishes every year, so I'll be scoping out ideas sometime in October.

And my daughter will be helping me this year--whether she likes it or not!
This sounds like a plan to me. Rib roast would be a delight along with aspargus and maybe a cinnamon baked acorn squash.. Here I am stuffed to the gills and thinking about Christmas dinner.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-03-2008 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: To delete what the cat added to the ending...

Old 08-03-2008, 05:54 PM

45 posts, read 187,963 times
I can't begin to think about Christmas till it's cooler...
and I can't EVEN imagine shoveling cookies off a hot cookie sheet right now. It's too hot here in Texas. Nice thread, though. Seems to have awakened us to the fact that Christmas isn't far away.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
We don't make a meal anymore... we found that we would munch on all of the appetizers before and when the prime rib came out we would roll off to eat it...with all the fixings of course... and feel sick... SO now we do a huge grazing meal... tons of appetizers, a meat like prime rib/pulled pork to make a sandwich with, baked potato station w/ all the fixing, desserts up the wall, dips, spreads, cheeses, crackers... it is like a huge cocktail party.... we eat all night and it is so much less work than a full on meal... we don't have to sit and be stuffy either (and finding enough seating around the table for 30 is tough)... it is my favorite night of the year.... I can't wait!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:31 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
We don't make a meal anymore... we found that we would munch on all of the appetizers before and when the prime rib came out we would roll off to eat it...with all the fixings of course... and feel sick... SO now we do a huge grazing meal... tons of appetizers, a meat like prime rib/pulled pork to make a sandwich with, baked potato station w/ all the fixing, desserts up the wall, dips, spreads, cheeses, crackers... it is like a huge cocktail party.... we eat all night and it is so much less work than a full on meal... we don't have to sit and be stuffy either (and finding enough seating around the table for 30 is tough)... it is my favorite night of the year.... I can't wait!
Wow, I bet it's fun (and tasty!) at YOUR house!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I've tried suggesting that approach to my spouse the past few years, but he is firmly wedded to the notion of The Big Sit-down Dinner for holiday meals. Preparing and serving the meal is one of the biggest highlights of any holiday for him, so I do understand. Maybe some day when we're older and more decrepit, we'll reach the point of doing a lower-maintenance meal like that, but at least for the forseeable future, I expect that we'll continue to put on the big spread of either Crown Roast of Pork, Standing Rib Roast, Roast Goose, or whatever sounds good to him when we start mulling over menu ideas in about October or November. And the way he cooks, that is no hardship at all!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:59 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I've tried suggesting that approach to my spouse the past few years, but he is firmly wedded to the notion of The Big Sit-down Dinner for holiday meals. Preparing and serving the meal is one of the biggest highlights of any holiday for him, so I do understand. Maybe some day when we're older and more decrepit, we'll reach the point of doing a lower-maintenance meal like that, but at least for the forseeable future, I expect that we'll continue to put on the big spread of either Crown Roast of Pork, Standing Rib Roast, Roast Goose, or whatever sounds good to him when we start mulling over menu ideas in about October or November. And the way he cooks, that is no hardship at all!
Well, I am still young and lively My whole family gets together so it starts to get hard... we number around 30... tough to sit everyone... but it was the Clean up too that got us all... we spent so much time cleaning everything that it took away from our time together to celebrate... We love our new tradition... I have to say though... we did it after my grandfather passed four years ago... he would NEVER have gone for this idea... he was of the same mind as your hubby...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Christmas meal is Spaghetti. It's just the 4 of us and we love it.

Thanksgiving is the "Big Show" here. I have a notebook/3 ring binder that I have compiled over the years. I take it down in early November, read over what I wrote last year and go from there. After Thanksgiving, I put notes in (what new recipes we used, who liked them, who didn't, what we want to try next year) and then put it up with the Roasting pan that I only use at Thanksgiving. I realized several years ago that I spend WAAAAY too much time every year doing the same things and since it's a meal we only do once a year, it's easy to forget.

My in laws travel to us each year for Thanksgiving and she used to be amazed at my memory skills... last year, she finally noticed the notebook. Now she doesn't think I'm amazing, she thinks I'm smart.

And more than a little anal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink