Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:27 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times

Advertisements

We rarely fix or eat dessert, unless there's something special around like fresh blueberries for pie, or for a holiday meal.

Funny thing is, though, when I was growing up, my mom ALWAYS served some sort of dessert after dinner. It would often be something simple like home-canned fruit (plums or pears were my favorites) but there was always a bit of something sweet to end the meal. I must have had more of a sweet tooth when I was a kid than I do now, because it doesn't even occur to me to eat sweets most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
How many have dessert after supper/dinner? Once again I'm just curious. When I grew up we hardly ever had dessert, more for special "days".

I'm the type that I'd rather have another piece of steak. I don't even like cake, unless I have a gallon of milk.

Is it a territory type thing? Generation? I'm in my mid 30's.......or so. Feed the cake to the dog, I want another bite of steak.

What say you?
I am not a sweet eater. I rarely will have dessert after a meal. Now, that does not mean I won't sneak a few Hersey's Kisses as a midnight snack LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-02-2008, 07:24 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
My mother- who loves to bake but is the size of a twig- would bake a dessert everyday... I would come home from school and there would bee freshly baked cookies or brownies... THEN there would be dessert after dinner... usually a pie or a cake... But that all stopped about 15 years ago when we all tried to go low fat...that was when the low fat recipes came and and she is such a good cook you would never know you weren't eating the real thing... then THAT went to the curb when my father got diabetes... I don't bake... my kids get sweets so often from other places that I just don't like to bring them into the house (and I don't have the will power to turn them down)

Old 08-02-2008, 06:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
We're kind of weird over here. (As if you wouldn't have guessed! ) DH doesn't paraticularly care for dessert. He would rather eat his meal and grab a bag of chips if he gets hungry later in the evening. I enjoy dessert, but not immediately following dinner. I like it a few hours later... maybe 9-10PM or so. Dinner is usually the only meal I eat, so dessert is sort of like a mini meal or backwards breakfast for me - if that makes any sense.

The only time we have dessert shortly following dinner is when we have company.
Same here. I eat once a day pretty much so dessert is my one big vice.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 AM

431 posts, read 1,202,766 times
Default What's for dessert today?

I looked for such a thread and couldn't find any, let's see what goodies everyone eat.

Tomorrow I have to go to a birthday party to a good friend of mine, she'll be 24 years old.
I asked her what she wants and she said "a fruity cake".

I think I made it very fruity

Sponge cake, sprinkled with caramel syrup, layered in between with stabilized vanilla cream and fresh fruits, The first layer of fruit is blueberry, second is peach and third pineapple.
It is decorated outside with stabilized whipped cream and topped with fresh fruits. Apricot, plum, strawberry, orange, pineapple, cherries, blackberries and blueberries.

Do you think she will like it? I sure hope so.

And to come back on topic, tonight I had some left over sponge cake I broke in pieces and sprinkled with pineapple juice, few bits of pineapple and topped with some whip cream. It was sooooo good.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:07 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
I'm not sure about dessert tonight. I think it'll just be a Weiss bar.

BUT TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!!!

Chocolate Mousse cake with cream and strawberries!!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:30 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
very nice looking cake, bet it tasted good too

Old 08-29-2008, 06:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Here I sit with no dessert. I should not even be reading this but I'm addicted. With another lb or 2 off I'm going to the bakery and hope to find this kind of fruity cake. Other than chocolate this looks like the best I've ever seen. I love so many fruits. I guess my fruit salad will have to be considered dessert tonight. Peaches, cantaloupe, and grapes.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:55 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Probably better for ya than many other kinds of deserts.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,766 times
Thank you everyone, the cake was a hit, light and very very fruity and refreshing.
We served Mimosas next to it, they complimented each other perfectly.
The birthday girl was ecstatic. I only make such cakes on special occasions.

When I came back home about 1 PM few friends called in for coffee about 4 PM so I had to whip up something fast.

Another type of fruit pastry. Here it is.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink