Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,709 times

Advertisements

If you could to a food show (like Food Network or some other show)? Ever had an idea or something you thought would go over well?

The other day I thought about it. There's lots of cooking shows out, but they either figure you are already a culinary genius, or cook with stuff I would NEVER cook myself, nor find in a store in my small country town in the middle of Texas (goat cheese, etc. blah). Or, the show is geared more towards women who cook things I would never serve the "guys" coming over for a football game!

So, I started thinking about a show where there's an everyday guy, who cooks everyday things. Simple barbeques. Sausage and rice dishes. Etc. A single guy's show for single guys. He could break into simple recipes for impressing a date, forget fettucini alfredo, how about simple spaghetti (you'd be surprised how many guys don't even know how to make a good meat sauce for spaghetti)!

I went on to the specific site, and wanted to propose that to them (not even pitch myself, because I'm NOT a face they want on TV.. trust me), but they don't have a place to do that. They don't even have a place for recommending anything other than recipes. You have to be an accredited establishment to make recommendations for shows.

So... us average guys will have to keep waiting until someone with a position to be heard recommends it.

So... what ideas have you had that might float (or is this just another dumb topic?) - Uh... if you think it's the latter... don't say so... remember the "fragile male ego"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Look up Sam the Cooking Guy he's a local San Diego cooking host and book writer. His show and recipes are exactly what you are talking about and are awesome.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Something closer to Rachael Ray's 30 min meals... maybe something like Five Ingredients to Delicious... hahah I don't like complexity

Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
The new guy who just won had his first show yesterday 12:30CT and he was pretty good. Basics like chicken strip salad, roast pork sandwiches, seasoned fries.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i'd target cooking for beginners,,, not for an audience of chef's,

most adults i know, havent grasped the basics of cooking, thats why they eat out much of the time,

id have a half hr show on cooking basics (with a snappy name)
for example, show how easy it is to use a crock pot, from cooking a chicken to beef roasts, to pulled pork.

id also break it down, how much it costs per serving

Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
I'd go into a normal person's house and cook a real meal from whatever they have in their refrigerator. You're right about the current shows. No real person has a $100,000 kitchen and every spice known. And, "I found these napkins in Tibet, aren't they cute." I find those kind of shows unrealistic and boring.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Yeah, my spouse has been saying for years that what he really wants to watch is "Iron Chef - Real Life", where those fancy-schmancy chefs are given $50 each, a trip to the local grocery store (with two kids in tow, of course), and then they have four hours in a tiny, hot, airless kitchen like ours to put on a gourmet meal for eight people. No sea urchin, no truffles, no pate de fois gras, just what you can find on a busy Tuesday afternoon at Woodman's, and see how they do. And then they have to do their own dishes when the meal's over - no minions to clean up after them. That would sort the real chefs from the wanna-be's in the tall white hats in a big hurry.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-04-2008 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 08:46 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
The Food Network has become less about food and cooking, and more about entertainment...and I wish it would return to its roots.

I used to watch it quite often; now, I honestly can't remember the last time I tuned into the Food Network.

If there were more shows like the one you are proposing, I'd probably watch it again.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:34 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
The Food Network has become less about food and cooking, and more about entertainment...and I wish it would return to its roots.

I used to watch it quite often; now, I honestly can't remember the last time I tuned into the Food Network.

If there were more shows like the one you are proposing, I'd probably watch it again.
I agree. I used to watch it all the time and now hardly ever.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
I would pitch a show where basic techniques are explained and demonstrated. A total "101" concept. For instance, one show could be about steaming - how to assemble a steamer, what can be steamed, how long different things need to be steamed for doneness, etc. Another show could be about handling poultry/meats - I find it fascinating that so few people know how to cut up a chicken, let alone how to skin/debone one.

There are already plenty of shows going for how to do fancy stuff (which few if any of the people watching will ever bother to attempt) and there are only so many ways you can combine chicken thighs, gobs of cheese, "smokey" cumin, and EVOO. (Yes, Rachael Ray's signature ingredients.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink