Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:20 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,609,542 times

Advertisements

I did 3 in a brine and 3 in an italian salad dressing marinade. Then smoked for 1.5hrs. They were good, but not like steak good. They didn't go to the trash, but I think there is something better out there. I'm gonna be try'n out all these fantastic ideas that you all shared w/me. Wife & kids liked them, I'm just not a big pork fan, just can't beat a good steak. The brined chops won the little taste test, but the marinade was close.

Reg. way I do potatoes were the best, so guess I won't experiment on that very often.

The sausage was good, but ya really can't mess up sausage.

Next time will be just throw a couple chops on at a higher temp, say 350, and then something else, pan fried maybe. First I need a steak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM

734 posts, read 2,610,553 times
I would put a high quality rib rub on them from the store, coat them just like you would with a slab of ribs. Then grill them at a real low temperature for a while, like under 300 degrees. Last 5-10 minutes, coat them with your favorite Q-sauce. They'll come out super juicy and tender. The key is low and slow.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:51 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,609,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
I would put a high quality rib rub on them from the store, coat them just like you would with a slab of ribs. Then grill them at a real low temperature for a while, like under 300 degrees. Last 5-10 minutes, coat them with your favorite Q-sauce. They'll come out super juicy and tender. The key is low and slow.
That is what I kinda did on these last ones. After the brine and marinade, I put on my rib rub and they were on the smoker at a temp of 225-230. Took them to 150*, foiled while rest'n. No sauce was added though. I didn't put much rub on, not like I do the ribs anyway, as I didn't want to cover up the brine or marinade too much.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:03 PM

734 posts, read 2,610,553 times
You know, I'm so persuasive, I made some of these tonight...in case anyone cares

Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
Just coat them like chicken and fry;not much that is better tasting if not good for you tho.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 AM

700 posts, read 2,590,741 times
Two words...

Shake and Bake....

Sorry thats the lazy chef in me.....

Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,935,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
BTW, they are sliced kinda thin, bout 1/2".......so stuffing may be out.
At 1/2" stuffing might not be out. If you partially freeze the chops, you should be able to find that slicing them horizontally down the middle is easier. If you do do this, may I recommend a stuffing?

1 lb regular pork sausage (like the Jimmy Dean rolls).
Parmesan cheese (I like to buy the small wedge and fresh grate it).
Mushrooms
Garlic (I used the small pre-chopped garlic in a jar).

I cook the sausage, then quarter the mushrooms and add them in just at the end. While that is cooking down, I grate the wedge of parmesan cheese. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the sausage and mushroom into blender (I have a hand-crank, spinning bladed thing). Add the grated cheese and garlic to taste. Then I just spin until all is mixed and small enough to use for stuffing. (Of course, since I love the stuffing, I will set aside what didn't fit into the chops, and use it to add to the taste with each bite.)

I spread the stuffing into a light layer between the split of the chops. Often I will then coat the chops in Italian bread crumbs. Put it into a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes until fully cooked.

Just another suggestion among many great ones!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 PM

Okay..
Heres another one I did here in my "fine dining" (I hate those words!) restaurant.
Its kinda tricky to make pork chops high class....so this was a recent attempt with good results.

I purchased high quality pork to begin with. (Kagoshima Kurobuta) The best...Though Im dying to try a raw pork from the Jura area of France that are fed acorns and have a real earthy tone to the flesh....Anyways.

I salted (Kosher Salt please for Land Animals and Sea Salt for Ocean critters)
the pork chop and allowed it to air dry in my fridge over night. This made the flesh cry out for moisture. So I gave it some the next day... Crushed Green Apples, Roasted Garlic, Rosemary and Black Peppercorns. Tossed them in a plastic bag with a shot of Brandy and vacuum sealed them, and let them sit again in the fridge over night.

The next day for service we heated some water to about 110 degrees and slowly "poached" the pork chop in the bag for about 8 hours, watching the temperature closely and the end result. This is possible because the pork is anaerobic and the key to the "sous vide" is temperature and time the pouch stays in the water bath. There are some health concerns these days with sous vide (though its been done for 40 years) so I recommend to someone with out the proper training or tools to keep you water at a constant 140 degrees and reduce the cooking time length to about 4 hours. We then blast chill this until service time where we cook it to order.

This pork is like pig butter...yummmmm.
I then make a bone marrow (or substitute Boursin Cheese) compound butter to place on top the warm chop to melt slowly into the meat as its being run out to the dining room. These go on "Fried Corn Bread Spaetzle, Seared Mustard Greens with Pecans and a Truffled Pork Stock Jus"... A side note...This was served last fall.

I just needed to vindicate myself from my previous Shake and Bake comment...
Though I love Shake and Bake Pork Chops with some apple sauce and some Stove Top (sage flavor) Stuffin....and Buttered Corn Nibblets....

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,038,856 times
Sounds absolutely delicious!

Fumé du Jura is sublime...I highly recommend it.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 PM

So Seattlerain can I count on you to come to my restaurant in Seattle when I open one next spring?
And bring your friends!
On my days off however you will find me at Salumi...

Smoked ham...yum!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink