Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I can't find fresh morels where I am, anyone know if the dried are worth a shot?
Morels dry very well. Shop around online, as prices can vary wildly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I can't find fresh morels where I am, anyone know if the dried are worth a shot?
I'd give it a try if I couldn't have fresh. What is the price of dried around you?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Morels dry very well. Shop around online, as prices can vary wildly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I'd give it a try if I couldn't have fresh. What is the price of dried around you?
Thanks for the replies!

I've only found the dried in one local market so far, they were ~$8-9.00 for a fairly small package, I'll try looking on line a bit.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
The kind of mushrooms you are talking about have no flavor. I LOVE Morels. If you ever get to taste them, cooked in butter and on top of a steak, you will love it. Just the smell of them cooking makes my mouth water. It is almost Morel season here!
I see this thread got revived. Since my original question I've come to my own conclusion. In the same way that cilantro tastes like soap to some, I suspect that different people also respond differently to other foods. In this case some people simply don't detect any flavor from mushrooms. Others do, and I'm happy for them.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I see this thread got revived. Since my original question I've come to my own conclusion. In the same way that cilantro tastes like soap to some, I suspect that different people also respond differently to other foods. In this case some people simply don't detect any flavor from mushrooms. Others do, and I'm happy for them.
I used to hate both mushrooms and cilantro. One day I was eating something and said mmmmm what is that delicious morsel and it turned out it was a mushroom!

I read a book by a food writer, Jeffrey Stein-something. He said he had to learn to like certain foods so he could do his job. So he made sure to have a taste of the stuff he didn't like once or twice a week. It took about 10 tastes, fairly close together, for him to come to like (or at least tolerate) foods he formerly hated. I figured I had accidently eaten mushrooms often enough that I finally developed a taste for them.

I tried this with cilantro and it worked. No more soapy taste. The one thing it didn't work on for me was caraway seed. Still hate those nasty little things.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
A steak smothered in mushrooms is an awesome delight.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I used to hate both mushrooms and cilantro. One day I was eating something and said mmmmm what is that delicious morsel and it turned out it was a mushroom!

I read a book by a food writer, Jeffrey Stein-something. He said he had to learn to like certain foods so he could do his job. So he made sure to have a taste of the stuff he didn't like once or twice a week. It took about 10 tastes, fairly close together, for him to come to like (or at least tolerate) foods he formerly hated. I figured I had accidently eaten mushrooms often enough that I finally developed a taste for them.

I tried this with cilantro and it worked. No more soapy taste. The one thing it didn't work on for me was caraway seed. Still hate those nasty little things.
I will have to try this. My husband dislikes cilantro and mushrooms too. He says cilantro tastes like raw grass, so I only use it once or twice a year. (I typically substitute parsley in recipes if I have to.) I've been planning on trying something other than the standard white mushrooms or baby bellas, but I haven't found a good source yet. I would love to be able to cook with more mushrooms because we don't eat meat anymore except for fish. Shrooms are a good substitute in a lot of meat dishes.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
There used to be a burger joint on the Detroit river that served stuffed mushroom burgers that were to kill for. Haven't been there in over half a century though...

Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
I have read several comments here that mushrooms are bland and don't have much flavor. This is only true of a few species, like the white button you buy at the market.
There are so many different varieties of wild mushrooms with very different flavors. Most of them are great in egg dishes.

To me, morels don't have a lot of flavor, but they are very tasty if they don't have to compete with other flavors.

Black trumpets are one of my favorites, they have a lot of flavor that stands up well to any red sauce, and are outstanding on pizza.

Chicken-of -the-woods tastes like chicken, and is excellent breaded and fried, with a nice dipping sauce.

Chanterelles have an intriguing subtle flavor of apricots and pumpkins and plays well with dairy and taters.

Matsutakes are incredibly unique with and indescribable complex spicy sweet flavor that was made for simple asian preparations like Sukiyaki, udon, and miso.

Hedgehogs are sweet and tender, I enjoy them simply sauteed in butter, or in scrambled eggs with bits of ham.

Shaggy Manes are excellent breaded and fried.

I could go on... and on...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
There will be sauted button mushrooms tonight to go in my pasta dish for dinner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink