Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times

Advertisements

Mushrooms, what are they for?
I just don't get mushrooms. What's the deal? They don't seem to add much if any flavor and they have an odd texture, kind of ..... squidgy?

Most of the mushrooms I have had are typical run of the mill mushrooms like you see on pizzas and in some salads. I don't know what type of mushrooms these are, what they are called. They must have a name. And naturally there are other kinds of mush's.

What am i missing? What are less typically found mushrooms like in flavor, texture, etc. Or what do you like about common mushrooms?

Enlighten me.

I don't get 'shrooms, either. To me, they're just those awful things out in the grass after a rainstorm - next to the weeds. Gotta go and knock 'em down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 04:39 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,194 times
standing on the shores of japan....I have one word.

Matsutake.

Uh wait....one more...

Truffle...

wait..
Porcini....

I could go on and on....

Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
Shetake, portabellas, mmmmmmmmmmm good. I like to smoke'em and stuff the cap w/crab, onion, celery, garlic and mayo. Great smoked w/plenty of bacon and served on a bun. The small "typical" ones are great saute' in butter and onions and garlic.

Then I've heard of other "uses", I've never done "that" but have heard about it. Don't think we'll go into that though.

Had to edit "shetake", I though it had an "i" in it, but the site doesn't like where I placed the "i".

Old 08-08-2008, 07:18 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,494 times
Imo, the best tasting mushrooms are morel mushrooms. They grow wild in the Southern Illinois woods. My mouth waters just thinking 'bout them.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,026 times
I don't even know why mushrooms are classified as food. Everytime I find one in my food I instantly vomit. I call them "poo sprouts." Vile!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:32 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,768 times
i grow up in small villege in northen thailand, i remember ate all different kind of mushrooms, very in colour and texture in curry, saute, steam them some time as meat subtitute. i don't remember eat then raw tho.
when we build house the wood in virginia, the down trees from building driveway and home site have oyster mushroom grow on them, i have them for lunch and dinner allmost every day while they growing, just saute them on olive oil with salt and peper. yumm{

Old 08-09-2008, 03:10 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
mushrooms in chili...YUM YUM and YUUUUUUM!

Canned ones just absolutely yucky. It makes them all rubberized.

I love portabello packets you can buy with the sauce at the grocery store.
Zap in the microwave and its like you are eating steak.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
I'm wondering if OP's exposure to 'shrooms was of the canned variety. Whole different animal there, I'm afraid. I would pick out any itty bitty little piece of 'shroom I saw in food until I tried "real" (aka fresh) mushrooms.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I'm wondering if OP's exposure to 'shrooms was of the canned variety. Whole different animal there, I'm afraid. I would pick out any itty bitty little piece of 'shroom I saw in food until I tried "real" (aka fresh) mushrooms.

I couldn't agree more. My first exposure to 'shrooms as a child was in canned Cream of Mushroom soup, I felt like I was being punished I waited far too long to try them again but eventually had a steak topped with 'shrooms sauteed with shallots and flamed with cognac, BIIIIIIGGGGG difference from the soup experience.

There is after all only a one letter difference between Yuk and Yum!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I couldn't agree more. My first exposure to 'shrooms as a child was in canned Cream of Mushroom soup, I felt like I was being punished I waited far too long to try them again but eventually had a steak topped with 'shrooms sauteed with shallots and flamed with cognac, BIIIIIIGGGGG difference from the soup experience.

There is after all only a one letter difference between Yuk and Yum!
Mine, too. I was at a friend's house for lunch and her mom forced me to eat it. I immediately tossed my cookies on the kitchen table! Showed her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink