Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:25 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times

Advertisements

I forgot about food allergies to peanuts because I don't have it. I also forgot to add we use fat-free skim milk for most things. I use less flour and more cornstarch, and I process my own hamburger. However on special holidays like Thanksgiving I don't do it. I like turkey gravy made with whole milk and I like butter and whole milk in my potatoes.

Heart patients on strict diets who use blood thinners are advised to not eat a lot of broccoli or brussel sprouts or cabbage because of the hight Vitakin K content. What the doctor said was to eat it in moderation and he would adjust the blood thinner accordingly-- but DON'T eat a head of cabbage at one meal.

Food preparation has changed greatly since I cooked commercially. I still maintain we can use the old family recipes and still eat heart healthy by making a few changes that do not effect the taste or texure.

My grandmothers lived to be well into their 90th year. They cooked with butter and cream and bacon grease, but they didn't do it three times a day, and until they died they did housework every day. They were not couch potatoes.

To this day I maintain healthy food contains less additives - the names of which that I can't pronounce - and any exercise is better than no exercisse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Olive Oil is poor for high heat cooking/pan frying/saute (low smoke point) and as mentioned can add bitter after taste. In professional kitchens we (I) use Grapeseed or Rapeseed Oil for sauteed items, and keep the XVOO to drizzle on items for flavor. Peanut Oil has a high smoke point which is why it has been used in Asian/Chinese wok style cooking (also less expensive) Sesame Oil is the same (actually worse) then Olive Oil and should only be added for flavor.

The nut oils are also used mostly for flavor and not cooking except some baking.

Then of course the king of flavor truffle oil (though few have anything to do with actual truffles) and my new favorite avocado oil from New Zealand

In my kitchen I have the luxury (from shear size) to separate my Asian Wok station from the rest of the kitchen and keep the utensils separated. Even a wooden spoon that has been around nuts can transfer the essential oils to someone that has allergies.

You subtly point out the difference between a large commercial kitchen and the average home kitchen. Many of the products you use daily are not available where I live. I am not even sure I could find the avacado oil or the coconut oil at the nearest restaurrant purveyor which is 60 miles from where I live. I would like to ask you two questions.

1. Would you share your technique for preparing a soup similar to Edd Drop?

2. Do you ever have the opportunity to watch the Japanese Iron Chef tv show? The skills and tools are simply awesome.

Thank you for sharring with us.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You subtly point out the difference between a large commercial kitchen and the average home kitchen. Many of the products you use daily are not available where I live. I am not even sure I could find the avacado oil or the coconut oil at the nearest restaurrant purveyor which is 60 miles from where I live. I would like to ask you two questions.

1. Would you share your technique for preparing a soup similar to Edd Drop?

2. Do you ever have the opportunity to watch the Japanese Iron Chef tv show? The skills and tools are simply awesome.

Thank you for sharring with us.
Try to find the Avocado Oil online perhaps? Im sure some of the stores such as Whole Foods or Trader Joes has some type of shipping.

I assume you mean "egg" drop?
Well I could give you my recipe for egg drop, however it would take up nearly an entire page, there are many online and the food network has recipes written in a way that they are easy to follow. However I will say that most of the success I have had with that particular soup is the addition of patience and pre- preparation to the dish.
Best to whip the yolks and use a fine hole squirt bottle and a fork to get those whisps of egg you are looking for.

Iron Chef was fun to watch. It was filmed here in Japan in the early 90's and not shown in the till it was complete here..(early 00's) Did you know that the first American chef to come to Japan and defeat the Iron Chef was Ron Seigal (sp) currently at The Ritz Carlton in SFO? He's insane....(in a good way!) The Japanese are the most food crazy culture I have ever seen....so much fun to eat and cook here!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:25 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Try to find the Avocado Oil online perhaps? Im sure some of the stores such as Whole Foods or Trader Joes has some type of shipping.

I assume you mean "egg" drop?
Well I could give you my recipe for egg drop, however it would take up nearly an entire page, there are many online and the food network has recipes written in a way that they are easy to follow. However I will say that most of the success I have had with that particular soup is the addition of patience and pre- preparation to the dish.
Best to whip the yolks and use a fine hole squirt bottle and a fork to get those whisps of egg you are looking for.

Iron Chef was fun to watch. It was filmed here in Japan in the early 90's and not shown in the till it was complete here..(early 00's) Did you know that the first American chef to come to Japan and defeat the Iron Chef was Ron Seigal (sp) currently at The Ritz Carlton in SFO? He's insane....(in a good way!) The Japanese are the most food crazy culture I have ever seen....so much fun to eat and cook here!

Whoops I mean whip the egg "Whites", place in squirt bottle and slowley add to broth at about 140 degrees while whipping with fork....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink