Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times

Advertisements

I looked at cooking oil, (large container) at Costco a while back and noticed that silicone was one of the ingredients !!! What the heck is that in there for ? Is it to keep french fries from sticking to each other while frying or what ? I only use olive oil for everything because I've been told that it is healthier than other oils but I was just curious as to why silicone would be added to deep frying commercial oils.
Another question I have is that I also heard that when heated to frying temperature olive oil becomes a "not so healthy oil". What is the real deal on cooking oils ? I love frying food but my health is also of concern to me. Can I have it both ways and continue to enjoy fried foods and not die early from a stroke or heart attack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,668 times
it's because it is cheap oil and they'll do whatever they can to make it "work" while keeping the cost down. so if your health is a concern, don't buy it

and right, you don't want to overheat olive oil. i believe you can heat canola oil a bit hotter, but do you really need to heat it so hot anyway? you can pan fry with olive oil on medium heat.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
vanilla is right, don't by that stuff soooo unhealthy for you, just like eating Crisco from the can.

OO smokes so you don't want to put that on high, it will ruin your food. Sometimes I mix unsweetened butter with OO it gives the food great flavor.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:33 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Keeps it from bubbling. And its not good for you.

Try baking versions of those foods lightly brushed with extra virgin olive oil.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks for your help. I try not to let my olive oil smoke and not having a thermometer I have developed a sense for when it is hot enough to fry with. I look for the oil starting to swirl about, then I turn the heat down before it starts to smoke. When frying something with a batter, it seems if the oil is not hot enough, the batter absorbs too much oil and doesn't get as crisp as I want. I only have an old electric range at this point and I really miss having a good gas range. I cook much better with a gas stove because it seems easier to control the heat. I have to confess that when I was about 7 or 8 years old, I ate a whole stick of butter by myself and got a whopping when my sister snitched me out to our mom !

Old 08-09-2008, 02:35 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
If you follow a low cholesterol, low salt regimin, read labels and eat heart healthy - meaning less beef and more fish and chicken - you'll live to rock your g.g.grandbabies. Chose wisely and you can use all your own recipes with a few minor adjustments. I gave up canola and olive oil for a number of reasons: short shelf life or the taste. If it's white; it's bleached..Natural is better, reduced fat is better. True sea salt has no aditivies, no drying agent, no anti-caking agent and it contains iodine naturally, and I need less do achieve the same taste. Everyone needs some salt for the iodine. However, excessive salt intake casuses water abuild up around the heart. Corn and iceberg lettuce have NO nutritional value; they're fillers.. Use spinach or other greens. Dogs and can't process corn any better than humans. If the firt word in pet food ingredients is corn, you starve the pet. I use peanut oil. Its the only ingredient. Restaurants use it in deep fryers.. I drain fried food, I skin chicken and I defat stock. I could write a book.

All food in America but two contain Vitakin K, the blood clotter heart patients avoid if they take a bllod thinner. One of the two foods is parsnips.

My spouse is a quad-bypass that failed. "Everybody" said the proceedure only lasts 10 years then a new surgery had to be performed. We are going into the 12th year. The cholestorl is low. Pro-Time is stabile, salt usuage is minimal and the heart is not distressed. The doc said change the diet. Learn to cook differently. Learn to eat differently and left the room. We did, we do.

Don't forget to exercise every day. Walking up and down steps once a day equals walking a block. And it tones muscles too - which is why the wash and dry are in the basement and not in the bathroom closet.

Last edited by linicx; 08-09-2008 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,689 times
Olive Oil is poor for high heat cooking/pan frying/saute (low smoke point) and as mentioned can add bitter after taste. In professional kitchens we (I) use Grapeseed or Rapeseed Oil for sauteed items, and keep the XVOO to drizzle on items for flavor. Peanut Oil has a high smoke point which is why it has been used in Asian/Chinese wok style cooking (also less expensive) Sesame Oil is the same (actually worse) then Olive Oil and should only be added for flavor.

The nut oils are also used mostly for flavor and not cooking except some baking.
Then of course the king of flavor truffle oil (though few have anything to do with actual truffles) and my new favorite avocado oil from New Zealand

It should be noted though that many of these seed and nut oils can be dangerous for people with allergies... Even some of the seed oils can have reactions.
In my kitchen I have the luxury (from shear size) to separate my Asian Wok station from the rest of the kitchen and keep the utensils separated. Even a wooden spoon that has been around nuts can transfer the essential oils to someone that has allergies.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:18 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Different oils have different flash (smoke) points ,and when they reach that point they transform into something less healthy..Coconut oil has a very high flash point. Although some folks say it's unhealthy because it's an oil that's high in saturated fat, others say that it's a different kind of saturated fat that is not unhealthy, and I can attest to it working really well to cook pancakes with.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:57 AM

Thank you all for the very good advise. A person like me is never too old to continue his edumacation !!! I'm trying very hard to improve my diet along with my wife. Now to get her to eat broccoli. We have already switched from tuna to sardines (the boneless skinless and de-gutted Portuguese style sold by Reeses.) Some tunas have 40 times the mercury than sardines ! I'll try brushing food with olive oil and cooking in the oven at a moderate temp. Again thank you all for good advice.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:29 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Thanks for your help. I try not to let my olive oil smoke and not having a thermometer I have developed a sense for when it is hot enough to fry with. I look for the oil starting to swirl about, then I turn the heat down before it starts to smoke. When frying something with a batter, it seems if the oil is not hot enough, the batter absorbs too much oil and doesn't get as crisp as I want. I only have an old electric range at this point and I really miss having a good gas range. I cook much better with a gas stove because it seems easier to control the heat. I have to confess that when I was about 7 or 8 years old, I ate a whole stick of butter by myself and got a whopping when my sister snitched me out to our mom !
Butter is not bad for you. French people eat butter right off the stick (like 7 year old you) and only 1 of 10 Frenchies are fat. hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink