Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:39 AM

8 posts, read 56,493 times

Advertisements

I agree...there is NO subsitute for just good ole' raw fresh fruits and veggies, but for those of us that cant get enough of them in our diet, Juice Plus is a good way to bridge that gap. The recommendation of servings per day is 7-13. Juice Plus is 17 different fruits and veggies in a capsule, gummie or chewable AND is backed by clinical research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 AM

378 posts, read 1,206,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtammy View Post
Have you ever heard of Juice Plus+ Orchard and Garden Blend? It is 17 servings of fruits and veggies
Juice Plus is great! I used to take it a few years back but stopped when I went through some economic issues. It is well worth the cost and I am getting back on it. Add some lightly steamed veggies to this if you can stand it... the key is to make sure they are not overcooked. Nothing worse than soggy broccoli, LOL.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
Juice Plus is great! I used to take it a few years back but stopped when I went through some economic issues. It is well worth the cost and I am getting back on it. Add some lightly steamed veggies to this if you can stand it... the key is to make sure they are not overcooked. Nothing worse than soggy broccoli, LOL.
Last week my husband and I found the equivalent of Juice Plus at Sam's Club. It costs wayyyyy less. We got a 2 month supply for about $15.00. We've been on it for a week and I really do think I feel better, have more energy, etc. He isn't sure yet! But for $15 it's worth a try and it sure can't hurt you.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,382 times
liquid vitamins from a health store are great, they have everything you need. I drink one called liquid life in a yellow bottle $30 per month and I feel much better since starting. Vitamins and minerals are important to get but pills tend to be absorbed slower into your system( if at all).

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
I worry about relying too much on vitamins to take the place of real foods. You're missing out on the fiber that helps moderate blood sugar and encourage healthy digestion. I recently began using the Sneaky Chef cookbooks to help get more fruits and vegetables into my kids. The idea is to hide purees in normal foods. My daughter and I spent a Sunday afternoon making bean/veggie/fruit purees to add to soups, pastas, and even baked goods. Give it a try!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Well...the title says it all. I hate vegetables and hardly eat them (unless they're in my hamburger ). I've tried to include them in my diet before but couldn't keep at it for long. My doctor asked me if I ate any fruits or vegetables...I said no...she scolded me and said by the time I'm 30 I'll look like I'm 40! Is that true?? . Even so, I can't get myself to eat them. Are there any good substitute supplements that will give me all the nutritional benefits found in fruits and vegetables?
Well, lilamx, I feel your pain. In fact, I think I posted a thread very similar to this months ago on this very board.

People had lots of good advice. One of the ones I liked (and used) was to use a food processor or blender and chop up veggies and put them in your hamburgers and meatloaf dishes. Lots of savvy moms do this when their children refuse to eat veggies.

Other things you can do is to try juicing them. I can drink tomato juice cocktail (with celery, pepper and other juices) where I would never consider eating those items.

I do not eat many veggies myself, and frankly, have never had any problems from it. I look pretty darn good for my age and have not had any medical or physical complaints. In fact, there are lots of people in this world who do not eat much in the way of vegetables and they seem to do pretty fine (indigenous peoples of the North, come to mind). If you ask me, its chemicals in processed foods that hurt you more than having a diet that does not include fruit and veggies, but that is only my opinion.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,491 times
I am so glad I have found this website by asking the question " Is there a subsitute for eating vegetebles?" I have hated vegetables since preschool! I don't understand why. My parents say that I loved them as a baby and that my mother made all homemade baby food for me. I am a really picky eater and don't like much but meat and rice. I am born and raised in hawaii and my father is native and has diabetes and is overweight due to all the rice and meat plate lunches everyone eats over here. I love to cook and I do cook with vegetebles for my fiance, family and friends all the time but have to have someone else taste test for me. I am 27 and about to get married and really want to change my eating habits before having children...which I want soon! I don't want my kids to have my same eating habits. Is this type of thing genetic...is it because of my taste pallet? I saw this show on Oprah one time about supertasters and undertasters does anyone know more about this?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Well...the title says it all. I hate vegetables and hardly eat them (unless they're in my hamburger ). I've tried to include them in my diet before but couldn't keep at it for long. My doctor asked me if I ate any fruits or vegetables...I said no...she scolded me and said by the time I'm 30 I'll look like I'm 40! Is that true?? . Even so, I can't get myself to eat them. Are there any good substitute supplements that will give me all the nutritional benefits found in fruits and vegetables?
There are green drinks you could make with dehydrated grasses that you mix in with juice, they are practically tasteless and loaded with nutrients I use Kyogreen.

But you'd be better off forcing yourself to eat at least vegetables. Fruit is not as important becase it is loaded with sugar. Vegetables could be mixed in to meat or pasta dishes, even made into casseroles. When they are mixed in with the foods you like, you barely realize they are even there. When you are used to eating them that way then you can try them by themselves with sauces to make them taste great. Like Hollandaise sauce makes broccoli or asparagus really special! Raw veggies in dip taste yummy.

Just wondering, did you grow up with parents who never made you eat anything but chicken fingers and pizza? That is REALLY sad if that is the case. You can not live a healthy life putting junk in your body all your life. You are what you eat.

It is time to learn to cook so that you can make healthful dishes that taste good. I agree plain vegetables are bland and boring as is plain anything. All you need to do is make them interesting and you'll love them! Foodtv.com has lots of yummy recipes for free. Check them out.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Juice does not equal vegetables.
Taste is not as unchangeable as you might think. Learn to make vegetables in a way you like them. Don't steam them or boil them, it makes them tasteless.
Buy good quality, truly fresh ones. An apricot right off the tree is far from one in a grocery store.
You can even stirfry them. Use a veggie oil. Or bake them. They are yummy.
Hehe. I've tried all the above. They still taste like pure minerals or dirt to me, literally.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,491 times
My parents are actually really good cooks and would try to get me to taste different vegetables many different ways ... but like 11th hour says " they still taste like minerals and dirt" that is exactly how I feel! I really wish I had a different taste pallet! I am really going to try the smoothie thing again with the suggestions that have been made. I am desperate to change before I have children of my own. I really want my kids to eat vegetables...I can already hear them asking me why I don't eat them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink