Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions if people adjust their diets when scientific studies come out, too many scientific studies, eating a balanced diet

View Poll Results: How much do scientific studies control how you eat?
I believe whole heartedly in science and adjust my diet accordingly when new study results come out. 1 6.67%
I believe in science and the studies, but I don't put an effort into changing for ALL study results. 0 0%
I am kinda wishy washy, I think scientists know what they are talking about, but don't put much effort into changing my habits. 1 6.67%
Okay, so the scientist say so, whatever, I am just going to eat what makes me feel healthy, study or no study. 8 53.33%
I eat whatever, whenever and I think those that keep believing in all these studies are crazy. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times

Advertisements

I am more cautious... for sure. It kind of freaks me out that girls are hitting puberty much earlier because of the hormones. Nitrates are not MY friend personally because they give me migraines...have since I was a kid... so I only buy natural hot dogs, deli meat, sausage... especially since they are more readily available than they have ever been (and before I just didn't eat them at all).... If I don't eat natural processed foods then I am sitting in a dark room cursing myself out in pain. It is for prevention... and in the end I feel like I am giving my kids healthier stuff. Now, if I didn't get migraines would I do this? I would like to say I would for my kids... but I am not sure... maybe I wouldn't be as aware then... Then my sister is a granola eating tree hugger who fills my head with wild ideas... so organics are now moving to the top of my grocery list... it is all just so much more expensive though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I am more cautious... for sure. It kind of freaks me out that girls are hitting puberty much earlier because of the hormones. Nitrates are not MY friend personally because they give me migraines...have since I was a kid... so I only buy natural hot dogs, deli meat, sausage... especially since they are more readily available than they have ever been (and before I just didn't eat them at all).... If I don't eat natural processed foods then I am sitting in a dark room cursing myself out in pain. It is for prevention... and in the end I feel like I am giving my kids healthier stuff. Now, if I didn't get migraines would I do this? I would like to say I would for my kids... but I am not sure... maybe I wouldn't be as aware then... Then my sister is a granola eating tree hugger who fills my head with wild ideas... so organics are now moving to the top of my grocery list... it is all just so much more expensive though.
There is a little known fact about a no longer used hormone that was once fed to beef from way back in the last century. Not sure of the spelling but it was known as stibestrol. This hormone was proven to cause cancer in rats. Silly thing was that the same drug in the FDA world was used as a therapy for the lady monthly thing. After all the hubub was over and it was banned someone did a calculation as to how much beef you had to eat to get a therapeutic dose. The answer... over 7000 lbs of beef in a day Who in their right mind is going to eat that much beef in a decade much less a day?? The problem with so many scare tactics from those who are getting paid to cry wolf when there isn't a wolf is that one day when there is who will listen? My grandmother consumed more DDT & Chlorodane, etc than you could imagine. Guess it cut her life short at 93. My mother did the same and I'm not giving her age but she is getting right up there now too. Could it be that the early development of kids is more related to TV ahd Hollywood than what they eat? That study was quoted in a class at a local college where I was a few years back. Maybe I can dig it up if I look for it.

We can all be allergic to some foods that are great for most of the population. Peanuts are a prime example. Even organic peanuts are deadly if you have the allergy. Having been in and around food production for decades I would enjoy seeing a taste test competition having a panel try and pick out which tomato, which green bean, etc. where grown in an organic and a non organic method. It would be most interesting to see just how strong the placebo effect is.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We can all be allergic to some foods that are great for most of the population. Peanuts are a prime example. Even organic peanuts are deadly if you have the allergy. Having been in and around food production for decades I would enjoy seeing a taste test competition having a panel try and pick out which tomato, which green bean, etc. where grown in an organic and a non organic method. It would be most interesting to see just how strong the placebo effect is.
I don't think people are eating organics for the taste of it though. My sister (Previousely an Enviro Eng turning Chinese Md) seems to think the Pesticides and other chemicals used on the produce is another cuase of my migraines (LOL I did say she is a granola eating tree hugger right?)... honestly... if I can get rid of migraines by going organic w/ produce it is worth a shot FOR ME....I am not saying everyone needs to jump on the bandwagon and spend loads on organic foods... In terms of the nitrates/nitrites/preservatives/msg... I think foods do taste different... I don't like the natural hotdogs as much as the nitrate filled ones ... but I do what I have to do... deli meat I can't taste the difference... sausage either... really, just the hotdogs (and I love hotdogs- so that was a tough one to get used to)... It is mostly a Medical experiment for myself... a reduction diet of sorts... if it allows me to eat more foods without problems I am all for it.... but not pushing it on others.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
It is mostly a Medical experiment for myself... a reduction diet of sorts... if it allows me to eat more foods without problems I am all for it.... but not pushing it on others.
I know that you don't push it on others but a lot of wild media is. My mother has had migraines since a very early age. Long before hot dogs and such could have been the cause. She eats mostly scratch cooking and still has them. No one has ever been able to help her. She eats more veggies than any kind of meats by choice. Everyone should definitely avoid foods that they know will cause any kind of grief. The only time I get bent out of shape is when I read in the media just how much better organically produce veggies taste. That to me is a scam to get those who can to pay the price difference. I grew fresh produce by the acres and had people rave about how good it was and I know how it was produced and organics where not a factor. It was good black soil with plenty of nutrients and the right varieties for the climate that made the diff. As far as the eastern meds go I know that they can be a good thing however I'll still pass on the eastern organically grown rice. Good ole Arkansas delta grown rice will suit me just fine.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I know that you don't push it on others but a lot of wild media is. My mother has had migraines since a very early age. Long before hot dogs and such could have been the cause. She eats mostly scratch cooking and still has them. No one has ever been able to help her. She eats more veggies than any kind of meats by choice.
Totally going off topic with the migraines... but if I can offer a suggestion for your mother to try and get relief I will risk it...

There are other triggers besides nitrates/preservatives... there is a lot of information out there... I also have triggers from citrus fruits, certain cheeses (sharper flavors especially), red wines, and more than ONE cup of coffee, processed food as a whole- sausage/pepperoni/deli meat/gyro meat (love Gyro Meat)... she might find some relief from them if she were to try a reduction diet (if not already done) and then slowly reintroduce the foods... it helps you pinpoint what you are eating that might be causing it... this is what I did... also, hormones for women is a big issue- another trigger for me... but soy products effect hormone levels in women and can effect migraines as well.... ok... back to the topic... sorry for the sidebar...

this might help...
Migraine Food Triggers - Migraine Headaches

Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Totally going off topic with the migraines... but if I can offer a suggestion for your mother to try and get relief I will risk it...

There are other triggers besides nitrates/preservatives... there is a lot of information out there... I also have triggers from citrus fruits, certain cheeses (sharper flavors especially), red wines, and more than ONE cup of coffee, processed food as a whole- sausage/pepperoni/deli meat/gyro meat (love Gyro Meat)... she might find some relief from them if she were to try a reduction diet (if not already done) and then slowly reintroduce the foods... it helps you pinpoint what you are eating that might be causing it... this is what I did... also, hormones for women is a big issue- another trigger for me... but soy products effect hormone levels in women and can effect migraines as well.... ok... back to the topic... sorry for the sidebar...

this might help...
Migraine Food Triggers - Migraine Headaches
I don't think off topic as long as tied to the food prospect. Will pass it on to her. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink