Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times

Advertisements

I have always used instant and active dry yeast but am interested in trying fresh or compressed yeast. Does anyone have experience using this yeast?

Also, does anyone order their flour from a local mill? I would love any information about mills. Maybe they will ship to me in Virginia if they are not in my region.

Thank you so much! Happy kneading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,844 times
Default Yeast, flour, and such...

I make bread frequently. Tonight I am baking some artisan rye bread...things ran very late today so I am still baking as I type this. As far as the refrigerated, compressed yeast goes, it works well, but down here in the South you won't find it...maybe once you get in Texas of farther west you can, but it does not ship or keep well here so the stores don't generally carry it. It is a fresh product so the shelf life is very short. Be very strict about not using expired yeast cakes for that reason.

I sometimes order flour, but I can usually find the items I need in local grocery and specialty shops. Good all around flours to use are the King Arthur products that your local store probably carries. Kroger and Publix around here are good at carrying the basic ones I use, King Arthur Bread Flour, King Arthur Organic All-Purpose Flour, King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour,and Hodgson Mill Medium Rye. Bob's Red Mill flours are also good. Kroger can probably special order much of the King Arthur line for you if they don't regularly carry it in a local store. For some special flours I search out local organic and health food stores and Whole Foods markets. For my breads using whole grain flours I also use either Bob's Red Mill or Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten to give the breads extra body and shape-holding ability. You can order from King Arthur and also from Amazon.com any other specialty flours you might need should the occasion arise since even around here those can be difficult to find. e.g., spelt, pumpernickel blends, etc. I tend to make free-form artisan breads on clay tiles...no pans...so my flour needs are fairly basic.

Last edited by buckhead; 08-19-2008 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Edited to add some information.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
I make bread frequently. Tonight I am baking some artisan rye bread...things ran very late today so I am still baking as I type this. As far as the refrigerated, compressed yeast goes, it works well, but down here in the South you won't find it...maybe once you get in Texas of farther west you can, but it does not ship or keep well here so the stores don't generally carry it. It is a fresh product so the shelf life is very short. Be very strict about not using expired yeast cakes for that reason.

I sometimes order flour, but I can usually find the items I need in local grocery and specialty shops. Good all around flours to use are the King Arthur products that your local store probably carries. Kroger and Publix around here are good at carrying the basic ones I use, King Arthur Bread Flour, King Arthur Organic All-Purpose Flour, King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour,and Hodgson Mill Medium Rye. Bob's Red Mill flours are also good. Kroger can probably special order much of the King Arthur line for you if they don't regularly carry it in a local store. For some special flours I search out local organic and health food stores and Whole Foods markets. For my breads using whole grain flours I also use either Bob's Red Mill or Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten to give the breads extra body and shape-holding ability. You can order from King Arthur and also from Amazon.com any other specialty flours you might need should the occasion arise since even around here those can be difficult to find. e.g., spelt, pumpernickel blends, etc. I tend to make free-form artisan breads on clay tiles...no pans...so my flour needs are fairly basic.
Thank you! I use King Arthur, Hodgson and Lily but I was thinking about using the milled wheat for a change. It is supposed to give a more nutty flavor to the bread...mmm...doesn't that sound good???

Old 08-20-2008, 01:45 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Thank you! I use King Arthur, Hodgson and Lily but I was thinking about using the milled wheat for a change. It is supposed to give a more nutty flavor to the bread...mmm...doesn't that sound good???
Using some milled wheat does indeed sound good! I have milled my own just for the taste and texture, but don't get to do that much now. And I neglected to mention White Lily BREAD flour, which is of high quality, and of comparable protein content to King Arthur. Of course, don't use their all-purpose flour unless you add some extra vital wheat gluten because it is substantially lower in protein than their bread flour and also lower in protein than King Arthur and most other brands of all-purpose flour. On the other hand White Lily all-purpose (and self-rising) is superior for biscuits.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
For years while baking for a living, used the fresh yeast .. which was fine, because you're doing a lot of baking and use it immediately. As buckhead pointed out, it doesn't last long and wouldn't think one would tend to use it fast enough just baking at home .. unless you're a relentless bread baker.

At home doing personal baking, I prefer and use the tradional. I like that you can see if it's still active or not before throwing it into the rest of your ingredients.

If you were ever serious about grinding flours, and also wanted a juicer, the champion is a great juicer and can purchase the grinder for milling flour also. Always meant to pick one up to try it, but can't speak from experience .. yet.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
For years while baking for a living, used the fresh yeast .. which was fine, because you're doing a lot of baking and use it immediately. As buckhead pointed out, it doesn't last long and wouldn't think one would tend to use it fast enough just baking at home .. unless you're a relentless bread baker.

At home doing personal baking, I prefer and use the tradional. I like that you can see if it's still active or not before throwing it into the rest of your ingredients.

If you were ever serious about grinding flours, and also wanted a juicer, the champion is a great juicer and can purchase the grinder for milling flour also. Always meant to pick one up to try it, but can't speak from experience .. yet.
Oooh, thank you! I'll try that if I get to that point! I have found breadmaking to be very relaxing. We all need that every now and then

Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times
I have been experimenting using my breakmaker machine. It says to use precise amounts of dry yeast for most breads, and never the cake yeast but I love the Irish Yeast which comes that way and have found that I can get about four 2 lb. loaves with 1 cake. I use all purpose flour with that since the bread flour makes the loaves too puffy. I may try using less of the yeast with the bread flour. Still experimenting.

I am also working on sourdough breads, and have a nice authentic crock of the stuff in my fridge at all times. Some sourdough rye is cooling now and I can hardly wait to see if this one measures up.

I go to the Walloomsac Farmers' Market in Bennington, VT on Saturday mornings and there is a seller there with fresh ground Vermont organic 100% whole wheat in various grades from coarse to bread. It does have a bit more moisture to it than store bought, but it does indeed have an elusive flavor which I like a lot. When it is out of season, I do like King Arthur, but for me, it is a local company. They have a great mail order service, too.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
I'll bet your kitchen has some great bread baking smells coming from it litlux.

Used to have a rye sour going, with fresh diced onion thrown into the starter. It made some pretty tasty rye bread, if you're into that kind of flavour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink