Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:43 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Onions in a salad? Too pungent?
Always sweeten them by cutting them a bit and placing in ice water for 15 minutes.
Or leave them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 09:37 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Put a slice of bread in with hardened brown or white sugar. It will soften right up.

This is the best way to soften cream cheese and butter! Seriously...it will be perfect.

Take either butter or cream cheese and put it on a plate. Then take a glass or ceramic bowl and fill it with boiling water until it gets hot. Empty the bowl and place it on top of the butter/cream cheese like a lid. Wait up to five minutes. Remove the lid to perfectly softened butter/cream cheese. No melting! No gooey/oozing center. Never use the microwave again!
slices of bread also keeps chocolate chip cookies soft

Old 12-27-2015, 10:03 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

This is the best way to soften cream cheese and butter! Seriously...it will be perfect.

Take either butter or cream cheese and put it on a plate. Then take a glass or ceramic bowl and fill it with boiling water until it gets hot. Empty the bowl and place it on top of the butter/cream cheese like a lid. Wait up to five minutes. Remove the lid to perfectly softened butter/cream cheese. No melting! No gooey/oozing center. Never use the microwave again!
Brilliant!

Old 12-27-2015, 11:32 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Do you want nicely rounded cupcakes and muffins?

Example, if the recipe calls for a 350 oven, preheat to 325, as soon as you put the cupcakes/muffins in turn the oven to 350--voila, perfectly round.

I learned this from Alton Brown.

(Whatever the recipe calls for reduce 25 degrees for preheat and pop to correct temp when you put them in...)
I'm assuming this will work with cornbread too. About 90% of the time my cornbread comes out with a big bulge on the top, so I'll give this little trick a try next time. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Default Things I used to do..then I got smart

I used to peel ripe bananas, mash them up in containers and then freeze them for baking later. Now I just toss them in the freezer, let them thaw and then squeeze it out for my recipe.

I used to make up mashed potatoes just enough for the meal. Now I always double the recipe and use leftovers for potato pancakes, etc.

I used to fret about how to use up all my cherry tomatoes before they went bad. But now I pop them in the freezer and add them to sauces and casseroles and Ragu spaghetti sauce for a more homemade taste.

I used to discard cut ends of celery, onions, asparagus, broccoli, squash- all veggies really. Then I got smart and started keeping a large baggie for Veggie Butts in the freezer to make my own veggie broth.

What things did you use to do and then you got smart?

Old 04-09-2016, 11:58 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I have a cherry tomato bush coming back this year, it's wild and it gave me sooo many last year I couldn't use them all...... I'll be freezing them after that post!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2016, 12:01 PM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
I used to buy my bread and now I bake my own German bread. I used to use butter for cake forms,making omelettes now I make my own ghee and use it for baking/casserole forms,and frying.
Great ideas kudzu

Old 04-09-2016, 12:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I used to buy my bread and now I bake my own German bread. I used to use butter for cake forms,making omelettes now I make my own ghee and use it for baking/casserole forms,and frying.
Great ideas kudzu
Is there anything you CAN'T do???
Such an industrial and talented woman.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:22 PM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Is there anything you CAN'T do???
Such an industrial and talented woman.
Kudzu I am not very good to cook a steak,filet mignon maybe because we do not eat it very often.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:24 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Kudzu I am not very good to cook a steak,filet mignon maybe because we do not eat it very often.

That's merely the exception that proves the rule.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink