U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:15 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,273,727 times

Advertisements

I do, I do! I feel better knowing what I am feeding my family when I grow and can it myself. Besides the added flavor it really is a cost savings when you have all the equipment to can. I spent a total of $27 for seeds or plants for my garden and so far I have over 100 jars of food in my cabinets. We put out sweet corn, green beans, tomatoes, cukes, potatoes, cabbage, kohlrabi, bell peppers and onions. I have apple trees and get peaches, cherries and pears from our neighbors. Love to score some grapes but haven't found a free local source yet.

When I bring veggie soup to a church carry in there are a few guys that comment on how mine tastes better than their own wives. Then the wives come ask me my secret....................... home grown veggies that I can! Same with my meats we buy locally from a farmer who takes it to a local processing place. We use to raise our own but with my family dwindling not enough hands to go around with all the chores. Most of the egg sellers around here have gone out of business so I have to buy mine at the grocery store. I refuse to pay $3-4 per dozen for what some around here are calling "organic". That is just bunk they are charging that much for natural feeding.

Only herbs I grow are chives. Right now our neighbor lady has pears glore, she has called several people to come get them nobody will. We are headed down there tonight for a 2nd bushel of pears to put up for winter! Wish they would keep as long as our apples do fresh. I will take her some of our apples when they are ready. I don't understand why people would turn down free food.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM

625 posts, read 1,465,775 times
Question Where's the beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I'm not talk'n fresh as in " got it at the store and it said fresh". I'm talk'n fresh as in you go cut the herbs, veggies, what ever in the back yard type of fresh.

What a difference it makes, yes? Anyone else notice? What do you use?

I use tomatoe, corn on the cob, potatoes, oninons, chives, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and licorice taste'n stuff... to name a few.
You embarrase me CC. What kind of omnivore are you. Sure I enjoy fresh veggies as much as the next guy but I don't forget to mention the fresh meat. There you are in the middle of meatland and not even a word about it. Oh the shame of it all.......Tell you what; you invite me to the "next" pork chop fest (or beef) and I'll pretend this didn't happen

Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 PM

206,738 posts, read 79,975,057 times
Beef isn't served fresh! It gets hung up to rot for a month so it will be tender and tasty they tell me???? How about it cave man? Am I just a little bit right???

Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,012,220 times
Being single, and living in an apartment, its impossible to have a garden. But I do frequent the Farmer's Market for fresh produce/veggies.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,184,222 times
I live in an area where everyone gardens and raises livestock so it isn't too hard for me to get frest veggies, herbs and fruits. I love to get bundles of fresh dill for my kitchen. You can't beat the smell.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 AM

424 posts, read 1,548,062 times
Default When I can get it...

Fresh herbs and some vegetables I do have available...rosemary, spearmint, parsley, basil, thyme, lavender, tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, banana peppers, gypsy peppers, onions, squash, spinach, kale, turnips (and greens), collards...but no meat or eggs. If my nephew catches some fish or bags a deer, I usually do have some of that. I have been getting some wild scuppernongs from the woods around my place lately...they are maturing early this year. I SHOULD be going after the chipmunks...they are all over the place right now...chipmunk on a stick! Except for a few of the herbs, I get my fresh produce and such when I visit my folks.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,500,138 times
We try.

My Grandparents have hens and chicken, hence fresh eggs and poultry (they're corn fed, no hormones or chemicals) They also have a quite big yard where they harvest lettuce, tomato, onion, oregano, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, etc-not for sale, only for our own consumption. Also assorted fruit (strawberries, apples, oranges, plums, peaches). Plus we also make our own wine.

We eat fish and seafood 3 or 4 times a week, always fresh-never frozen. Sometimes I just go to the estuary and pick clams or mussels (I got 2 lbs of clams in half our last saturday).

When I was a kid my grandparents had cows, sheep, swine, rabbits, etc. We ate a lot of that stuff.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM

725 posts, read 1,962,108 times
Parsley just tops my list....lol !!
I use it in almost everything. From pasta to hamburgers..

I also use tomatoes, bell peppers and greens.
My mother grew collard greens and tomatoes in our backyard. She stopped planting, cause squirrels would devour them before the could use it

But thats just about it LOL !

Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,255,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
You embarrase me CC. What kind of omnivore are you. Sure I enjoy fresh veggies as much as the next guy but I don't forget to mention the fresh meat. There you are in the middle of meatland and not even a word about it. Oh the shame of it all.......Tell you what; you invite me to the "next" pork chop fest (or beef) and I'll pretend this didn't happen
I'm an omnivore that eats meat w/fresh herbs.

Fresh beef/pork/chicks are a given.....my bad. Fresh seafood........yea, frozen is as close as we can get(to good fresh seafood). Nearest lake is 2hrs away, and it's dry'n up.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,255,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Beef isn't served fresh! It gets hung up to rot for a month so it will be tender and tasty they tell me???? How about it cave man? Am I just a little bit right???
No, Nomad, your not just a "little right". (you gotta screw loose somewhere. )

Exactly right, big boy. Get rid of the excess water so the flavor is more intense. Tender...........depends on the cut and the animal.......no matter how you do it.(but smoke'n is the best. )

We don't have as much dry cured meat as one would think. Most, 90%, is wet cured. Cheaper, and the seller makes more $$$/# as he gets paid for some water.

But yes, I can get about as "fresh" as you want 1/2 mile from my house. Go there to pay feed bill anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink