Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,303 times

Advertisements

What methods do you employ when making scrambled eggs? Does it depend on the ultimate use of the product?

Do you add anything to when beating them? (water, milk, other)

How long do you beat them? (gentle, medium (until lighter color), until frothy, other)

Do you put them in a hot pan dry or with something?

What do you do while cooking? (leave them set, move around lots, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:55 PM

702 posts, read 1,983,598 times
What I do is add the eggs, a little bit of milk, a piece of cheese, and some s&p and whisk it all together, then I nuke them. Best eggs ever

Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
The fastest and easiest way to scramble eggs is to crack them directly into a hot, lightly oiled (i.e., pan spray) skillet, use the point of a spoon to stir around and fold over for a moment or two, then scoop out to a plate. There'll still be discrete sections of white and yolk, but the end result will still be tasty. You can drop a handful of grated cheese over top about 30 seconds before the end to hide some of the visual deficiencies.

For fluffier and more homogenous scrambled eggs, crack the eggs into a bowl (figure about 1 1/2 per person, unless you're feeding a football team), add a scosh of water, not more than a tablespoonful or so for half a dozen eggs, and use a fork to beat until pale yellow and frothy. Get your skillet - castiron works best - good and hot, and hit it with just a bit of your preferred shortening. Can be vegetable oil, olive oil (adds an interesting touch), butter, bacon grease or pan spray - whatever you like. Remember, cold oil + hot pan = food won't stick. Once your pan is greased and hot to not quite smoking, pour in the frothy eggs and watch 'em bubble up. When they're starting to solidify, do a quick stir round, not beating them, just waking them up a bit. Wait a few more seconds, fold over once or twice more, then slide off onto the waiting plates. Here, too, you can top with a handful of grated cheese in the final few seconds for added color and flavor.

If you're going for scrambled eggs with stuff in them (by which I mean ham, bacon, sausage, onions, corn tortillas, bell peppers, ramps, mushrooms or any of the other things that eggs play nicely with), start the same as the preceeding paragraph, up until the point of heating your skillet. If you're doing chunky eggs, the last thing you do is to actually add the eggs: you want to get your bacon fried up crispy, or the ham seared just right, or the sausage crumbles cooked nicely done, and the extra grease drained off. Then remove the meat with a slotted spoon to rest on paper towels while you saute your vegetables in the grease flavored with the meat you just cooked. Get the veggies to about 3/4 done, toss the meat back in and toss it all round together until it's hot, then pour in your frothy egg mixture and proceed as above.

Fritattas and omelettes are a whole separate thread, I think, but they'd start in pretty much the same fashion. Your only real limit is your imagination!

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-25-2008 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: left out a comma

Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
My family says I scrambled them like McDonald's. Hey, I did work there as a manager for 7 years. I do as I was taught. I scramble until frothy, add a little margarine and wait until I hear the sizzle. I stir non-stop until the eggs reached my desired softness. Yes, I cook them like McD's--not on purpose. I even make my own egg McMuffins. Yes, I have a set of round rings when I'm in the mood.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
The fastest and easiest way to scramble eggs is to crack them directly into a hot, lightly oiled (i.e., pan spray) skillet, use the point of a spoon to stir around and fold over for a moment or two, then scoop out to a plate. There'll still be discrete sections of white and yolk, but the end result will still be tasty. You can drop a handful of grated cheese over top about 30 seconds before the end to hide some of the visual deficiencies.

For fluffier and more homogenous scrambled eggs, crack the eggs into a bowl (figure about 1 1/2 per person, unless you're feeding a football team), add a scosh of water, not more than a tablespoonful or so for half a dozen eggs, and use a fork to beat until pale yellow and frothy. Get your skillet - castiron works best - good and hot, and hit it with just a bit of your preferred shortening. Can be vegetable oil, olive oil (adds an interesting touch), butter, bacon grease or pan spray - whatever you like. Remember, cold oil + hot pan = food won't stick. Once your pan is greased and hot to not quite smoking, pour in the frothy eggs and watch 'em bubble up. When they're starting to solidify, do a quick stir round, not beating them, just waking them up a bit. Wait a few more seconds, fold over once or twice more, then slide off onto the waiting plates. Here, too, you can top with a handful of grated cheese in the final few seconds for added color and flavor.

If you're going for scrambled eggs with stuff in them (by which I mean ham, bacon, sausage, onions, corn tortillas, bell peppers, ramps, mushrooms or any of the other things that eggs play nicely with), start the same as the preceeding paragraph, up until the point of heating your skillet. If you're doing chunky eggs, the last thing you do is to actually add the eggs: you want to get your bacon fried up crispy, or the ham seared just right, or the sausage crumbles cooked nicely done, and the extra grease drained off. Then remove the meat with a slotted spoon to rest on paper towels while you saute your vegetables in the grease flavored with the meat you just cooked. Get the veggies to about 3/4 done, toss the meat back in and toss it all round together until it's hot, then pour in your frothy egg mixture and proceed as above.

Fritattas and omelettes are a whole separate thread, I think, but they'd start in pretty much the same fashion. Your only real limit is your imagination!
All of this is useful and great EXCEPT the 1-1/2 eggs per person. Come on. Don't be so stingy with your yummy eggs. Or, is this your tactic to get everyone coming back for more?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
All of this is useful and great EXCEPT the 1-1/2 eggs per person. Come on. Don't be so stingy with your yummy eggs. Or, is this your tactic to get everyone coming back for more?
Nah, I'm just an old broad who can't eat as much as I could back in the day. One egg is plenty for me. Although when the boy (age 23) is visiting, if he manages to clamber out of bed before noon, he can go through half a dozen scrambled eggs in about the time it takes to sneeze three times.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i like cheese in mine and garlic.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Wisk until frothy. Pour in heated skillet and add a tablespoon of milk. Stir gently until set and ready to serve. If you have a tood teflon coated skillet you don't need margerine. But if your skillet is coated you need oil, margerine, bacon grease, butter -- something to coat the pan.. Just don't forget that butter burns. I'f you're gonna use it, add a little margerine or oil to it.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
No one scrambled eggs better than my mom. Except maybe for yours.

I don't like eggs runny. I don't like 'em too dry or nearly burnt, which is how they usually turn out if I try to cook them. My mom could get them "just so." Perfect.

Last edited by bjh; 08-26-2008 at 12:16 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
The fastest and easiest way to scramble eggs is to crack them directly into a hot, lightly oiled (i.e., pan spray) skillet, use the point of a spoon to stir around and fold over for a moment or two, then scoop out to a plate. There'll still be discrete sections of white and yolk, but the end result will still be tasty. You can drop a handful of grated cheese over top about 30 seconds before the end to hide some of the visual deficiencies. ...
That is the way I do them, too (except I use a fork to break them up a bit more), using a little bacon grease or sausage grease in the pan. I LIKE the scattered patches of yellow and white; they are not visual deficiencies to me at all. Actually scrambling eggs this way is not only faster, it keeps the eggs nice and dense...not puffy or too full of air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink